• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

- Waiters who touch me

I am always put off when this happens, even more so when they touch my husband! :biggrin:

I don't like the waiters that squat down next to you!! What's up with that?!

As far as waitstaff, I also don't enjoy those who squat, those who announce "I'm Susie and I'll be taking care of you!!!!111!!!!", and those who touch my handsome husband.

And as a French-speaker, I just simply cannot get used to the word "entree" describing the main course. "Entree" is the entrance; "main course" is the main course. I recognize that "entree" has become the generally accepted term, but it sounds very wrong-o to me.

Ordering a cappucino and the barrister makes a latte because they don't know the difference.

Wow, they have lawyers making coffee drinks now? Or did you mean barista? :raz:

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Oops, thanks :blink::rolleyes::wacko:

Emma Peel

Most of the things mentioned in this thread don't bother me enough for me to mention. I notice things here and there, sure I cringe a little sometimes. Mostly I shrug it off.

BUT (don't we all have one? Well I have a few here.)

1. Do you want change? Mentioned before. But it is so aggressively rude it's worth mentioning again.

2. Snooty waiters who mispronounce words. Normally this doesn't bother me at all. But shouldn't a snoot be above this sort of thing? Or worse, when they "gently" correct me by repeating what I just correctly pronounced incorrectly.

3. I hardly ever complain at a restaurant, especially about the food. I'm resigned to assume that it does little good. So when I do it's because something was BAD. So bad. Pre-cooked, burnt merguez sausage that had been nuked to room temperature for service. Dry, dry, dry. I brought it up with the server, she tells me that Merguez is always like that and maybe I'm not familiar enough with French food. My husband is a French chef of North African descent and I've been to France many times. I know my merguez and I know my French food. Merguez isn't French, but it's pretty common over there and I'm not the type to split hairs. Undercooked ravioli, I can taste the raw dough. The server tells me that it's called "al dente," really the only way to eat pasta. I show her the THICK opaque white center. :hmmm: The filling was a pre-cooked squash mousse. The pretentious squirming and string of excuses are what bug me.

4. General lying. "House made" bread, pastries and desserts ordered from a to the trade wholesaler that supplies other restaurants in the area. Ravioli wrapped with wonton wrappers at an Italian restaurant, I asked the server BEFORE I order of it's really made from pasta dough, they claim it is, I order it. WONTON wrappers. I just wouldn't have ordered it had I known the truth.

I've seen a few threads like this on egullet "annoying other diners" or something like that. I used to think that I was above it all because not much really bothers me. :biggrin: But here you go, stuff that peeves me! :laugh:

Ooh! I just thought of one more: "Pre-fixe menu". (It's right up there with "expresso" in my book.) Is this the menu a restaurant puts out before it's been fixed? I think I'll wait, then...

If you're gonna use a five-dollar word and/or a foreign phrase in a professional capacity, please double-check it.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

• 3 weeks later...

On the topic of waiters...

I pay for dinners out with my hubby a LOT. I grab the check and I place my credit card in the slot and I set it next to me. The server picks it up from next to my arm, swipes my card with MY name on it, then returns it to my HUSBAND to sign. That's an automatic 5% tip deduction. It angers me in a way few things do.

And the "do you need change for that" is beyond rude. If they don't ask, I usually say "we're all set". If they ask, I say "of course I need change". Again, automatic 5% tip deduction.

Food terms generally don't bother me. I do dislike adults talking like children, but that happens in so many instances I just let it go. A non-food related irk that I'm sure you don't care about but I feel the need to express is the very recent acceptance of the word "cops", especially from newscasters. They are POLICE OFFICERS. They deserve some respect.

I pay for dinners out with my hubby a LOT. I grab the check and I place my credit card in the slot and I set it next to me. The server picks it up from next to my arm, swipes my card with MY name on it, then returns it to my HUSBAND to sign. That's an automatic 5% tip deduction. It angers me in a way few things do.

This also bothers me to no end. First off, it bothers me that whenever I eat out with any man - client, coworker, boss, husband, friend, whatever - 9 times out of 10, when the check comes the waiter puts it next to my male dining companion instead of in the middle of the table where either of us could easily grab it. I went to lunch last week with my boss (male), our ad agency rep (female) and a graphic designer from her firm (male). The two men sat next to each other at the table, and when the check came, even though our agency rep motioned for the check to be given to her, the waiter set it down between the two men. Grrrrr.

It also bothers me that whenever I attempt to pay for a meal my husband and I have shared, 9 times out of 10 even though my debit card has my picture on it, when the waiter brings the check back they set the folder next to my husband. I also deduct 5-10 percent off the tip for this. And whenever a server does it correctly (hands the folder to me), I add 5-10 percent and try to give them glowing compliments.

This is one of those things that I realize is not that big of a deal in the larger scheme of things, but it really burns me up when it happens. I'm a professional, I'm an adult, I have money of my own. Servers shouldn't make assumptions about who is paying based solely on gender.

This also bothers me to no end. First off, it bothers me that whenever I eat out with any man - client, coworker, boss, husband, friend, whatever - 9 times out of 10, when the check comes the waiter puts it next to my male dining companion instead of in the middle of the table where either of us could easily grab it. I went to lunch last week with my boss (male), our ad agency rep (female) and a graphic designer from her firm (male). The two men sat next to each other at the table, and when the check came, even though our agency rep motioned for the check to be given to her, the waiter set it down between the two men. Grrrrr.

It also bothers me that whenever I attempt to pay for a meal my husband and I have shared, 9 times out of 10 even though my debit card has my picture on it, when the waiter brings the check back they set the folder next to my husband. I also deduct 5-10 percent off the tip for this. And whenever a server does it correctly (hands the folder to me), I add 5-10 percent and try to give them glowing compliments.

This is one of those things that I realize is not that big of a deal in the larger scheme of things, but it really burns me up when it happens. I'm a professional, I'm an adult, I have money of my own. Servers shouldn't make assumptions about who is paying based solely on gender.

Bingo! I couldn't agree with you more. How difficult can it be to check the name of the credit card before giving the folder back?

Other annoying items:

- order medium rare and 9 out of 10 times, the steak comes back medium or well done. If you only cook it well done, why bother asking me my preference?

- wait staff hanging around to take the credit card before I have finished reviewing the bill

"order medium rare and 9 out of 10 times, the steak comes back medium or well done. If you only cook it well done, why bother asking me my preference?" I really can't believe how many steaks and prime ribs I have made chefs waste over the years. I knew the doneness level of a steak when I was 10 and workin the BBQ with dad. Simple stuff.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Also, a hostess should NEVER say to a solo diner, "Just one?"  For some reason, that little question always makes me feel like a total loser.  There must be any number of nice ways to determine whether someone is eating alone.

I enjoyed a wonderful solo dinner tonight at one of the only formal dining venues here on blustery Cape Cod.

But it took me a minute or two to recover from having the hostess/owner pronounce loudly upon my arrival in a quiet, crowded dining room, "Ah... one? A single girl? Aww... that's too bad!".

I would have walked out but I was so stunned that I followed her to my table and tried to stifle my shock with a mouthful of bread.

I ordered so many dishes, though, that I think they thought I was a food critic. They were (or attempted to be) really, really nice to me. When the hostess came by to check on me and saw that I'd ordered foie gras and sweetbreads, she said something like, "Ah! A woman who eats like a man!" before scurrying away to annoy someone else.

I think I'll write a letter. I just found that unbelievably innapropriate.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

Also, a hostess should NEVER say to a solo diner, "Just one?"  For some reason, that little question always makes me feel like a total loser.  There must be any number of nice ways to determine whether someone is eating alone.

I enjoyed a wonderful solo dinner tonight at one of the only formal dining venues here on blustery Cape Cod.

But it took me a minute or two to recover from having the hostess/owner pronounce loudly upon my arrival in a quiet, crowded dining room, "Ah... one? A single girl? Aww... that's too bad!"

I would have walked out but I was so stunned that I followed her to my table and tried to stifle my shock with a mouthful of bread.

I ordered so many dishes, though, that I think they thought I was a food critic. They were really, really nice to me. When the hostess came by to check on me and saw that I'd ordered foie gras and sweetbreads, she said something like, "Ah! A woman who eats like a man!" before scurrying away to annoy someone else.

:shock:

That's unbelievably insulting!!

I think I might have complained to the manager, and I'm not a complainer in restaurants, as a rule.

I hope your dinner was good!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

THIS burns me as well!!!!!

Even when I pay cash! and hand the money to the cashier myself! They always try to give the change to my husband first!!!!! GGGRRRRR! How annoying! That's my change!

On the topic of gender assumptions: I am an omnivore, leaning toward carnivore. My lovely husband is an omnivore leaning very strongly toward herbivore. When we go out, I usually order something of a hefty meaty nature, and he usually orders something of a vegetable-centered nature.

Without fail, even if it's the same person who took our order, when our food comes out of the kitchen the waiter will attempt to give my husband my hefty meaty food, and me his wee bit of salady thing. We think that it may be because there seem to be more women who are vegetarian and/or who are watching their weight, but it still bugs me every time!

But it took me a minute or two to recover from having the hostess/owner pronounce loudly upon my arrival in a quiet, crowded dining room, "Ah... one? A single girl? Aww... that's too bad!".

I ordered so many dishes, though, that I think they thought I was a food critic. They were (or attempted to be) really, really nice to me. When the hostess came by to check on me and saw that I'd ordered foie gras and sweetbreads, she said something like, "Ah! A woman who eats like a man!" before scurrying away to annoy someone else.

Wow, that is incredibly insulting.

I eat out alone a lot and I've been impressed at how civilized it has become in Vancouver for a woman dining alone. Maybe it's my age and they think I'm past it anyway but I rarely get such comments anymore.

On the "woman who eats like a man" front, I have been warned that a dish is very rich or that the servings are large. My response is "That's OK, I'm hungry".

Years ago in Montreal a female friend and I ordered a half bottle of wine to start a meal, then we ordered a bottle of red for the main course. The waiter tried to talk us out of the red, telling us we wouldn't be able to finish it! Needless to say we had no problem finishing the bottle.

Those restaurants who have consistently been gracious and charming to me in my solo dining mode get my loyalty and the servers get good tips.

Cheers,

Anne

ok

the plate thieves really bug me because no matter how much time my husband spends fussing with his meal he finishes first

as far as when I am paying he says straight up to the server "oh no she's got the money"

a friend with wealthy parents learned quickly that in real life you only get one fork at Chile's etc... :biggrin:

I am actually seeing less of the "do you need change" thankfully

and all the way back to bitchslap....having been blessed with many gay friends and co-workers I always hear the term in that sence :unsure:

except for the time our server dropped our apps then quit ...and we were charged for them I rarely speak to management

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I resolve not to be threatening to retarded bartenders who look like they got the job because they're cheaper than a barback who Knows The Job when they can't get my dry dirty martini right. The most entertaining was when I sent one back which had too much vermouth, and then the bartender proceeded to add more vermouth to the same drink and serve it to me again!

I seem to remember asking point-blank if the bartender was getting tip-wage, or an honest hourly wage...

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Without question, my biggest pet peeve is "...to perfection." Usually as in "grilled to perfection"...

"A 10 ounce black angus beef tenderloin, grilled to perfection, with..."

OK, so the other steaks aren't grilled to perfection? Just this one? What about the fish?

I've actually seen the words "boiled to perfection" on a menu.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Without question, my biggest pet peeve is "...to perfection."  Usually as in "grilled to perfection"...

"A 10 ounce black angus beef tenderloin, grilled to perfection, with..."

OK, so the other steaks aren't grilled to perfection?  Just this one?  What about the fish?

I've actually seen the words "boiled to perfection" on a menu.

Oh, I have wanted to ban that phrase for AGES!

I think it's more overused than "resolve" as spoken by politicians, even.

:hmmm:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I was going to add a comment about the "bill to the guy" routine

way back, but am heartened to see it isn't just me. Drives me

bananas. Back in my expense account days, I'd take out of town

associates to restaurants and it was very embarrassing to have

the server put the bill in front of my guest (even after I'd asked for it).

Does this still happen to other women: servers who pour wine for

the guy to taste even if you've ordered it? Fortunately not so

much anymore, but that's happened to me in the past.

As to the empty plate, servers ALWAYS ask if I'm done even

with my cutlery on the plate and the napkin on top. Do they

think I'm going to pick around the napkin to continue eating?

A couple nights ago I actually laughed out loud because I thought

the server was kidding when he picked up my empty cider bottle,

looked at it, and asked if I was finished with it. But he was serious...

The "I'll be right back with your change" thing has always bugged me too.

Don't they know we know what they really mean by that? They want

you to say, "oh, no, that's good" as in, "keep the change, it's a tip".

Why can't they just pick up the cash quietly? We know you'll be right

back, regardless of whether or not we want change. Why are you in

such a freakin' hurry for the tip? Come back for it after we leave. You're there all night.

Re the "Are there two of you tonight" question, that was a funny comeback.

I also like the one where, when you arrive without having called ahead,

and they ask, "Do you have reservations" and you reply, "Yes, but

we'll eat here anyway."

I wouldn't have come up with sammich, but I'll add my voice to those of the excoriating throng. I even, on one hideously memorable occasion, had a dining companion who ordered a "sammy."

But I have to confess to saying mise, amuse, veggie, and foodie.

I think my current pet peeve is when a server comes by a minute after delivering the plates and anxiously asks "is everything ok?" It had better be better than ok, or they won't be seeing me again. If they're so worried that it might not be "ok," why are they even serving the food? I have had a couple of people ask "is everything delicious?" which I much prefer, because it allows me to either praise the food honestly or say that some item does not reach the deliciousness threshold for a specific reason.

If it's ten dollars an ounce on my plate, it ain't 'foie'.  Seriously, I'll make it $11 if I can get a 'gras'.

Chuck, I think this should be your new signature line...it's a CLASSIC!! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 year later...

Probably not breaking new ground here, but which food words/phrases make you wince?

A very short and incomplete list:

Babyish:

I've got a certain horror of cute abbreviations like "cukes" or "veggies".

"Delish" is not a word for adults.

Or "Yummy".

Or "tummy".

Vulgar:

"Cook-off"

"EVOO". Can't we just call it olive oil?

Pretentious:

"Wok flashed". Stir-fried, more like.

"Molecular gastronomy". Odious.

Just plain annoying:

"(It's) to die for". Be my guest.