• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

Don't you mean grammar? :biggrin:

I was waiting to see if anyone caught that. Did you catch the other errors?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Gourmet gets my vote.

I was teaching a very simple soup recipe in a cooking class last year and a student commented that it was complicated. Which led to my newest definition of the word. Gourmet is anything that takes more than 7 minutes to cook.

Also Jamie Oliver uses lots of slang that could be considered annoying

He sure does! All those -ie's. I like 'A bit of the old foo', though. I use that one occasionally.

Our lad's from Essex but uses a fake Cockney accent and manner known as "Mockney". Deeply offensive because it's just so bizarre and stagey.

Justin Wilson's accent was fake, too, but I (mostly) forgave him because he cooked the way real Cajuns cook at home, Magnalite and black iron pots and all. I ga rohn tee!

And Martin Yan reportedly speaks perfect English. Except when an audience (TV or otherwise) is present.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

Don't you mean grammar? :biggrin:

I was waiting to see if anyone caught that. Did you catch the other errors?

I'm not so good with grammar intricacies but unusual or wrong spelling usually jumps right out at me.

Anyway, back to the topic. :biggrin:

Also "muzz."

is "mutz" better?

For some reason I prefer "mozz."

But I'm on heavy antibiotics this week & will likely disavow all of this next week.

Don't stop saying "muzz," context is everything & it always works well in your posts.

Out of context, it just makes me think of those rotting peaches. But that's my problem.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Also "muzz."

is "mutz" better?

For some reason I prefer "mozz."

But I'm on heavy antibiotics this week & will likely disavow all of this next week.

Don't stop saying "muzz," context is everything & it always works well in your posts.

Out of context, it just makes me think of those rotting peaches. But that's my problem.

Yeah, but Mozz is a convenient abbreviation for those of us who can't remember how the hell to spell mozzarella (I just googled to make sure I've got it correct here.)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

OK, I'll bite. Being married to a technical writer does have its advantages (though I do spell better than he does!) :biggrin:

I use a lot of the words y'all don't care for but I will try to do better in the future. Or not....

needs a comma before "but"

There is a place for it, many people who are working with foods are artisans, their work is artistic, adventuresome, not by rote.

Comma splice! Either end the sentence after "it" and before "many," or use a semicolon. Same thing after "artisans" and before "their work."

Abbreviations work in some contexts but are out of place in others. I don't recall ever using 'shrooms, but am sure I have used words to describe foods that appeal to me as lucious, delish, etc.

"lucious" should be "luscious"

Frankly, I enjoy reading the posts even if they include words that are not what I would use, or there are no capitals, but there is incorrect punctuation and some very odd spelling. Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

Again, needs a comma between "I notice these things," and "but it is the context."

OK. I've proven I'm a dweeb. You can hurt me now. :smile: I really, really don't pay attention or care what spelling, grammar, or punctuation people use in their posts. It's all about the food.

With regards to boning a chicken, I remember once in high school when a friend was staying with me for a week because her parents were out of town, and we went into paroxysms of laughter one night while cleaning up the leftover chicken. It had been boneless chicken, and, well, we decided that there had to be people who boned chickens, i.e., chicken boners. I don't think I breathed for 5 minutes.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Yeah, but Mozz is a convenient abbreviation for those of us who can't remember how the hell to spell mozzarella (I just googled to make sure I've got it correct here.)

and it's convenient to say for those of us who sound like complete dweebs saying "mozzerella". :biggrin:

In the course of looking for a link to support my statement about Justin, I'm finding myself more and more confused. The short bio for him at http://www.justinwilson.com does not indicate that any of the things I'd heard over the years are true, some of which I was sure I'd heard Justin, himself, say on his show and in interviews. He referred to himself as a 'half-breed' Cajun. In his earlier years he was a safety engineer and later became a humorist. He grew up around peoples with strong Cajun accents and interjected his stories with bits and pieces of Cajun expressions to make the stories funnier.

Here's an excerpt from one site ( http://www.gritlit.com/BooksD-K/jw203.html ):

It was this line of work that inspired the Cajun storyteller in Wilson, judging from what Wilson himself has to say: "Way back when I first started as a safety engineer, I took myself pretty seriously. And I found I was putting audiences to sleep. So, having lived all my life among the Cajuns of Louisiana, and having a memory for the patois and the type of humor Cajuns go for, I started interspersing my talks on safety with Cajun humor. And you know what? My audiences stayed awake."

Whether or not his accent was strongly exaggerated (which I truly think it was), his cooking and recipes were authentic and true, as I said in my original post. I do apologize if I've given any false information.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

did I hear anyone mention "scrummy or scrummie"?

and then the term "pan-seared" where else might one sear?

How about "it's a bit too peppery" does 'it's a bit too' followed by an 'ery' ending soften the blow :biggrin:

Edited by Bernaise (log)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

OK, I'll bite. Being married to a technical writer does have its advantages (though I do spell better than he does!) :biggrin:

You got them all! Congratulations.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a friend who broke up with a guy after he said "Yummers!" while eating something. I think it was a wise desicion, really.

I can't stand Yum, Yummy or Yummers except when coming out of the mouths of toddlers. Grown ups should learn better words.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

"Munchies" as a physical condition :cool: has a definite place (how else to describe it?). As something to eat? Ugh!

Shrooms? Well there are button and oyster and crimini, etc., mushrooms, and then there are, well, shrooms :wacko: , although I have no experience with the latter.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Faking that accent would be VERY hard, I GAR-UNN-TEEEE.  :cool:

Not so much if you grew up around it. I can lay it on pretty thick when I want to.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

and it's convenient to say for those of us who sound like complete dweebs saying "mozzerella". :biggrin:

Well the doc says I'm OK tonight & can cut out the drugs.

Please continue muzzing & mozzing, I'm already over it. :laugh:

Back on topic - somewhere, I can't recall where, I ran across "tizers." Apps, appys, or tizers, damn, just put the word back together.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

This one isn't directly food related, but it does crop up on the International boards...

Native speakers of English describing foreign cities by their non-English names. 'Milano'. 'Venezia'. 'Roma'. To me it always looks like a misguided attempt to appear either a) sophisticated or b) culturally sensitive. Why use the Italian names for these cities in English?

Three exceptions are OK: i) if you're not a native speaker of English; ii) if the English version of the name is out-of-date or has been superseded (Constantinople, perhaps Leghorn); and iii) if the inhabitants of that place have specifically changed the name of their city because for (legitimate) political reasons (I'm thinking of Chennai, Kolkata, etc).

(Just to show I'm not a hypocrite: the word for my city - London - is different in most major languages, and I've got no problem with that.) :smile:

Edited by Stigand (log)

Native speakers of English describing foreign cities by their non-English names. 'Milano'. 'Venezia'. 'Roma'. To me it always looks like a misguided attempt to appear either a) sophisticated or b) culturally sensitive. Why use the Italian names for these cities in English?

and the use of non-english words for foods that have a perfectly good english word all set up already and ready to use is a bit strange as well. probably done for the same reasons.

and the use of non-english words for foods that have a perfectly good english word all set up already and ready to use is a bit strange as well. probably done for the same reasons.

I'd second that. Have to say, though, that "aubergine" sounds a hell of a lot better than "eggplant" although I couldn't bring myself to say it.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

and the use of non-english words for foods that have a perfectly good english word all set up already and ready to use is a bit strange as well.  probably done for the same reasons.

I know I always get mad when I hear people say "beef" or "pork" instead of "cow" or "pig". Damn you, William the Conqueror, and all your pretentious followers!

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

The use of succulent as a general catchall for something being tasty (Which is a good word).

Very few things are derving of the accolade succulent. Vegetables, no matter how well prepared are never succulent.

I love animals.

They are delicious.