• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

Fun'. I hate when foods are described as 'fun'. What exactly makes them fun? Am I a bad or dull person if I'm not totally rockin' out to my shrimp poppers with x-treme mango sauce?

On that note, anything labled as an Xtreme flavor. Usually kid/teen marketing. Xtreme ranch flavor! Xtreme pepperoni!

Exclamation points are usually also mandatory with the Xtreme flavor.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Oh here's one, did anyone mention biggie size. Hate that one.

I love brekkie though cuz it's English. Also Jamie Oliver uses lots of slang that could be considered annoying but I think it's cute. Sorry I'm an anglophile. :rolleyes:

I have to say appetizers, I just cannot spell hors d'oeuvres without thinking about it! :angry:

...did I get it right??????

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

"appetizers" - they kill my appetite

Ok, but what are your feelings on 'appeteazers'?

Also Jamie Oliver uses lots of slang that could be considered annoying

He sure does! All those -ie's. I like 'A bit of the old foo', though. I use that one occasionally.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

He sure does! All those -ie's. I like 'A bit of the old foo', though. I use that one occasionally.

Our lad's from Essex but uses a fake Cockney accent and manner known as "Mockney". Deeply offensive because it's just so bizarre and stagey.

It's like a someone from Boston or Houston, with that accent, trying to speak like a movie NY Italian mobster. Imagine "push da button on dat guy" and "pasta fazool" said like that.

Manky.

Still, Oliver's sincerity and the risks he took in his 15 project redeemed him in my eyes.

If not my ears.

edit:

"Houston", not "Huston".

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I use a lot of the words y'all don't care for but I will try to do better in the future. Or not....

I use "veg" quite a bit since I worked with a young woman from Australia and picked it up from her along with a few other terms best left unwritten.

I don't mind "artisan" in any of its permutations as long as it is not applied to the ersatz pap that has been served up to us all along, just with new packaging.

There is a place for it, many people who are working with foods are artisans, their work is artistic, adventuresome, not by rote.

Abbreviations work in some contexts but are out of place in others. I don't recall ever using 'shrooms, but am sure I have used words to describe foods that appeal to me as lucious, delish, etc.

Frankly, I enjoy reading the posts even if they include words that are not what I would use, or there are no capitals, but there is incorrect punctuation and some very odd spelling. Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Our lad's from Essex but uses a fake Cockney accent and manner known as "Mockney". Deeply offensive because it's just so bizarre and stagey.

Justin Wilson's accent was fake, too, but I (mostly) forgave him because he cooked the way real Cajuns cook at home, Magnalite and black iron pots and all. I ga rohn tee!

I really like 'scrumptious', but will do my best to refrain from using it. Girl Scout's honor.

The first time I heard 'veggie' used, it was said by Fonzie on Happy Days. I honestly think it was the Fonz who popularized it, so blame him (or the writers of the show).

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Apps.

Did anyone say that yet?

Appetizers isn't so long or difficult to say that it requires abbreviation. Come on, say it with me now "Appetizers."

:biggrin:

Or "appys," which seems to be a uniquely Jersey thing, at least in my experience.

Also "muzz." Unless you really & truly mean "moldy fuzz" - you know, the stuff that appears on overripe peaches if you don't deal with them quickly enough.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

Don't you mean grammar? :biggrin:

"Grammer" is obsolete, but a real variant, sorta like "clew" for "clue". Somebody's showing off...

Not really a food term, but related: My pet peeve is the inquiry (from an impatient waiter, usually) "Are you done?" Unless they've laced my food with arsenic, or there's enough fat to instantly clog my aorta, I'm never done in a restaurant. When my plate is either completely void of food, or I've placed my utensils on its edge neatly, then I have FINNISHED!

On the other hand when I dated a young lady from Helsinki, she would always look up when receiving the proper inquiry as to the state of her degustation and nod affirmatively. Poor thing nearly starved to death.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

That's fascinating! I always found his accent to be "odd" and couldn't figure out why. The cheeky little monkey! :hmmm:

To all the X-Treme folks out there, heres a great site for ya.

Never though I'd have a chance to link Maddox!

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

To all the X-Treme folks out there, heres a great site for ya.

Never though I'd have a chance to link Maddox!

Hilarious!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Having been an English major I notice these things but it is the context, not the grammer that makes the posts interesting to me.

Don't you mean grammar? :biggrin:

"Grammer" is obsolete, but a real variant, sorta like "clew" for "clue". Somebody's showing off...

Sorry, guess I don't have a clew. :smile: