• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

• 7 months later...

This topic was inspired by a quote by JAZ in the TV Food Phraseology thread:

Can't stand Rachel's "veggies," either -- but that term makes my skin crawl when anyone uses it.

I don't like that one either, too cutesy for words. Here are some others I can't stand:

"scratch"

The first time someone asked me if I "made it from scratch" I didn't know what the hell they meant. When it was explained to me I was offended because I make everything from scratch and wouldn't consider making something from a box or mix.

"smoking" when you mean "steaming"

Novelists who don't know a lot about cooking are always saying this. If you've just pulled a sweet potato from hot coals it may be smoking, but other wise the correct word is steaming.

"munching"

The dictionary says this word means "to chew vigorously and steadily; to chew noisily" but to me, munching means continous and mindless chewing of small bits of things, like popcorn or peanuts. People often misuse this word as a synonym for eating. Whatever it means, I "eschew" it, and it's companion "munchies".

What food/cooking words offend you?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Cukes sounds way to much like 'puke'.

The only one that really gets to me though is overuse of the word 'yum' and turning it into other crazy words like 'yummilicious' or 'yummalummadingdong'. I have no idea why, it is just an unjustified personal pet peeve ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Actually the word "verboten" still makes me shudder.

But aside from that, the word "gourmet" is right up there with "artisan" at this point. I always expect something special and unknown to me (which is really not hard), but I walk into these "gourmet" shops and see the same old stuff all the time.

I get annoyed at the word "munchkins" when people mean "donut holes." Did Dunkin' Donuts do that? Really obnoxious.

"atkins friendly"

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

???

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Although it isn't quite as over-used as uber-(whatever) is these days.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

i blame the use of "uber-" on x-files.

i also agree on the atkins thing.....if i see "low-carb" especially on some sort of grain product i pitch a fit on the inside.

(but i also do this when i see cal-mag tabs so i'm just generally high-strung that way)

I agree with all of the above, and most likely what will be below me. :cool: I hate "yummy"...so why the hell do I say it all the time? It irks me when Sara Mouton says it because it's so childlike. :unsure: I also dislike "Za" for "pizza" and...UGH...."Sketti" for "spaghetti." We is all gwown ups isn't we? :laugh:

DO NOT call sparkling wine from OUTSIDE the eponymous region in northern France "Champagne"

Along those lines, I hate the term "bubbly" when refering to the same.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I get the willies from "sammie" and especially "sammitch," sorry to say. And everyone should know that taters are spuds.

I'm in complete agreement on "sammitches" except I always call potatoes byb their ful name (but I'm formal that way).

"All natural" kills me. Hoa about "Part natural"? Why not? I'm also a bit tired of gnoshing and grazing. There must be a batter way to describe that activity. Isn't grazing what farm animals do?

People who say EVOO instead of extra virgin olive oil, seriously, what the hell is that? Rachel Ray is the chief culprit, add it to her long list of annoyances.

"Foodie" I loath it when someone refers to me with that term. I am passionate about food, I do not need a label to identify that fact. Plus, it lumps me in with a whole crowd of people who love to prance around with that term on their sleeve and who I would not want to be associated with.

"Foam" I never got and I never will.

"Fusion" Will that please die already.