• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Terms We Loathe/Misuse

Bux

Its, it's, your, you're, their, they're, and there are abused all over the Internet in newsgroups and message boards. Palate gets particular abuse on this site.

Palate = the roof of one's mouth, or taste

He has a well developed palate for fine wine.

Pallet = a simple mattress, or a platform for stacking goods in a warehouse, or for moving goods.

He stacked the cartons on a pallet and used a fork lift to load them onto the truck.

Palette = the board or tray an artist uses to mix colors, also the range of colors on the palette.

The web safe palette has 216 non-dithering colors.

Edited by Bux (log)

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

affect... effect

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

"Sammiches."

Please. Stop.

I had never encountered this particular baby-talk phrase until eGullet. It is horrifyingly unbecoming. Like saying "bahyon" for bacon or "breah" for bread.

Lack of enunciation gains nothing.

I know I must have phrases that irritate and annoy. I apologize.

But "sammich" is just dire.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And this (he said, quoting from the Book of Armaments, the part that Brother Maynard skipped) is why God gave us large caliber handguns.

Sammiches are just fine, however. Pseudo kitschy and lightly ironic, sammich fits in nicely with the eGullet demo. And it's just fun to say.

Chad

edit: speeling

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

"Sammiches."

Please. Stop.

This is coming from the guy that had the "word" wisdon in his signature for quite some time, yes? :rolleyes:

I must agree, however. It's like saying "puhsketti" instead of "spaghetti" - don't flaunt your speech impediment, please.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

And it's just fun to say.

It might possibly be for Americans just as we of Brit descent find "sarnie" to be.

But still, it just had to be said that it's not much fun for the rest of us.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

It's like saying "puhsketti" instead of "spaghetti"

Um.

I don't believe I've heard this one, dear. And can't quite make sense of it. Is it a conflation of "sp" and "ps" that is common somewhere?

As for my sig lines, I change them like frocks so can't remember now to which you refer.

Its, it's, your, you're, their, they're, and there are abused all over the Internet in newsgroups and message boards. Palate gets particular abuse on this site.

Palate = the roof of one's mouth, or taste

He has a well developed palate for fine wine.

I'm never sure which palet(e)(te) to use so I always say he has a "well developed roof of his mouth."

Though to be more accurate I should probably say he has "a well developed tongue and the roof of his mouth isn't bad either."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The web safe palatte has 216 non-dithering colors.

Palatte? That's a new one for me. :laugh:

Yeah, and you know I checked the definition lines a half a dozen times on this one. What's really funny is that I think it was the appearance of "palatte" somewhere in a thread that pushed me to post this--or was it "pallete." :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Though to be more accurate I should probably say he has "a well developed tongue and the roof of his mouth isn't bad either."

I think you'e headed for trouble. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

How about the lack of proper punctuation? When referring to words such as "palate" or "palette" they should be quoted. Another pet peeve: "1990s" shortened to "90's" rather than "'90s". Yes, my wife has a master's degree in English and has beaten me into grammatical submission. Help me, please, help me....

Add to that the innumerable posts and e-mails I receive daily with no capitalization. When I asked someone why they don't capitalize appropriately, I was hit with the reply "it's too much work to hit the shift key." I had to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes after that response.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I feel your pain BUT we are talking to one another not writing dissertations. I love to hear the "voice" even if it's not using perfect grammar. We rarely talk in grammatically correct sentences nor do we need worry about spelling. So I turn off my editorial censor when reading posts. :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Add to that the innumerable posts and e-mails I receive daily with no capitalization. When I asked someone why they don't capitalize appropriately, I was hit with the reply "it's too much work to hit the shift key." I had to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes after that response.

tommy=>cold cloth? :laugh:

Yeah, Anna N, I tend to turn off my editorial censor for posts. However, some things do tend to still grate on my nerves. I defer to Bux's original post.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I had to lay down with a cold cloth over my eyes after that response.

I think of you people as friends I'm conversing with, and I would no more correct your grammar here than I would if I were I were speaking to you! And I hope you'd be as kind to me.

After all the enjoyment I've gotten from Snowangel's posts about the cabin, I would perhaps only gently remind her, privately (of course!) that she meant to say she "had to lie down..." Actually, I'd probably never say anything.

Ah, beachcove... you have hit on a sensitive point.

I agree with you. I would never want my eGullet friends to inhibit their posts in the name of grammar or correct vocabulary. (Of course... I have no such problem... :laugh: )

I do think Bux is bringing up some issues in a totally neutral way. I think of the issue as yet another chance to learn.

tommy will never capitalize. In fact, if he started to do that we would probably bundle him off to a rehab unit. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

dearest tommy... brow-beating and insulting is not in our nature. :biggrin: please note that I have not hit the shift key in your honor.

all of us editorial freaks have to have our little party, i guess.

please carry on as usual.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Dose thes meen that yoo doant wont ani mour possteengs frum Looseanna? Wee hav veri cumplecks pallettes doun hear. :wacko::biggrin:

Edited to incorrect spelling :hmmm:

Edited by Mayhaw Man (log)

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Folks, we can talk about spelling, capitalization, usage, dialect, and other aspects of the English language all day long, but in the end, we all have to get over every individual's use (or abuse) of the written word. We're not here as grammar teachers. If I say "ain't" and "y'all" and "sammich", it's because we say things like that down here. When we start judging each other on how well we write and follow grammatical dogma, this site will be a hell of a lot less fun.

Thanks. I need to go get an expresso now. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

i agree - the full flavor of any digital text-based community comes through with it's colloquialism and dialect.

save the proper grammar, punctuation, etc for your books and articles, your formal correspondence, and emails to your boss.

but for the love of god - please don't type like this:

sINc3r37y!1!!!

+ry5|<4

the homonym-impaired, ee cummings wannabe (2 733+ 4 j00!11!)