• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My First Risotto

adrober

In addition to homemade stock which is probably the sole indispensible ingredient in just about any kitchen, you should try using a better grade of wine.  I think someone said someplace that the wine you use to make stock, sauces and things like risotto should be at least as good an item as something that you would be glad to serve at a dinner party.

Ok, I know I mangled that sentence.  But you know what I mean.

Soba

I very rarely drink white wine. A sip gives me an instant headache. Since I'm often cooking with white wine for my family only, what do I do with the rest of the bottle? Given that I am almost always using it only for cooking purposes, can I freeze it? How long does an opened bottle last in the fridge?

Many large liquor stores sell the small 187 ml. size bottles - like the ones used on airplanes. These are only produced by large commercial wineries and are not too expensive. The perfect size for cooking.

Your cat isn't working hard enough, or you aren't as much a soft touch as I am. My cat often talks me into leaving out the onions and garlic so we can share the good stuff.

I cheat by starting the rice in the pressure cooker (until a bit too al dente), then finishing it off by hand.

Before you know it, there'll be risotto from what's-her-name, the person who I can't remember her name who's the newest food media sensation. You know, 30 minute gourmet meals or some such.

Oh, Adam -- I suppose it can't hurt to bear repeating: Risotto is best, imho, when it's simple and used with the best quality ingredients you can find. That's not to say that other types of risotto aren't as good (i.e., braised short rib risotto with barbecued fava beans and roasted apple slices :raz: ), it's just that the adage "less is more" is no truer than in this context.

And when you're feeling adventurous enough, do give dessert risotto a try. It's like rice pudding -- only a hundred times better.

Soba

I agree with SobaAddict70 - few ingredients of the best quality, this is the italian way to a good risotto. Fresh vegetables, a decent wine (personally I wouldn't freeze it...), homemade stock if possible.

If you can find italian "Dadi da Brodo" -I read here with the greatest surprise that they're hardly available in US! Italians couldn't live without them- they can be an acceptable option when you have no time to make your own stock. In Italy, Knorr is the most popular brand.

Making soffritto: this is a critical point. The longer you can fry onion without burning it, the better your risotto will turn out. My opinion is that chopped onion/scallion has to be fried, over a very low heat, at least for 10 mins.

Another critical point is the final addition of fresh butter and parmesan, and the following few minutes of rest before serving - what we call "mantecatura". This is not an option: is mandatory to get a good result. Of course you have to turn off the heat when the rice is still undercooked and rather watery, otherwise you'll get a glue.

As for the rice, don't stay on Arborio before having tried Carnaroli and, if you can find it, Vialone Nano.

Pongi

While I was in Italy my host said that mentioned using Vialone Nano rice as well. As I was a bit hesitant to carry additional weight I didn't buy any while there. Are there places to find it in the states? Berkeley Bowl carries a million kinds of carnaroli and arborio, but I don't recall having seen our V. nano there.

And Adrober, congrats on your dish, rizzo was among my first and still one of my favorite things to cook.