• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Cheese

sherribabee

Yea, when I was little and not allowed to use the oven or rangetop, my making of grilled-cheese sandwiches consisted of peeling the plastic wrap from a slice of processed American cheese and quickly slipping it between two slices of white sandwich-loaf bread that had just pop up fropm the toaster, letting the heat from the slices melt the cheese. I had to be quick, though, or it would be just a plain cheese sandwich.

• 1 month later...

I know it's not for the purists, but I like two slices of Italian bread. One covered in Pimento cheese, the other with a slice of bologna. Broil open faced until brown and bubbly. Assemble, and brown the outsides. Good and easy!

• 5 months later...

It's raining and generally miserable out so it look like it's Bacon, tomato and cheddar grilled cheese, with soup for dinner. Time for more grilled cheese. What's your current favorite? :biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

It's raining and generally miserable out so it look like it's Bacon, tomato and cheddar grilled cheese, with soup for dinner. Time for more grilled cheese. What's your current favorite? :biggrin:  :biggrin:

An excellent use for less-than-summer-quality tomatoes! I like to add fresh thyme and chives from from my winter garden.

I'd add a red-leaf and avacado salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Winter food is wonderful. :wub:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

It's raining and generally miserable out so it look like it's Bacon, tomato and cheddar grilled cheese, with soup for dinner. Time for more grilled cheese. What's your current favorite? :biggrin:  :biggrin:

An excellent use for less-than-summer-quality tomatoes! I like to add fresh thyme and chives from from my winter garden.

I'd add a red-leaf and avacado salad with a balsamic vinaigrette.

Winter food is wonderful. :wub:

Summer requires BLT's :biggrin: and tomato bread salads.

Bruce Frigard

I was suprised that no one mentioned putting mayo on the outside of the bread. Frying the outside of the sandwich in the oil that separates.      (did I miss it?)  Thats my favorite.

Wow! I've never heard of that. Where did that idea come from?

Is the sandwich crispy?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Very crispy with a kind of  light shell , from the egg in it I assume

I thought this was a known trick, but maybe I'm a genius!  Yay!

Great idea!! I'm going to try it out this week.

For the record, what brand of mayo do you use? Or is it home-made?

Twin Peaks

i have made the ultimate grilled chesse sandwhich. i made it at work when we got in a new cheese we were going to use for a pasta. i had the munchies and a sandwhich with it and it was grilled cheese heaven. basically take any bread you want. i like a crusty bread so you get a good crunch. i like olive oil instead of butter. and the cheese is probably something alot you may not have heard of. it's called cacciocavalo. it's a smoked cheese from italy, and it without doubt makes the greatest grilled cheese sandwhich hands down. before you tell me about how you can't beat the classics try it and then tell me.

bork bork bork

Mayo makes the ultimate greasy crispy contrast on a grilled cheese... I dont remember to do it too often cause I really dont like mayo but it doesnt taste like mayo that way

What is all this I see about 2 slices of american cheese ??? people five is the minimum

toaster oven opens a whole new realm also ....if you like crispy browned cheesey bits

put sliced white bread with 5 pieces of cheese each into the toaster oven or broiler let it go until almost black have fun watching it poof then remove the browned cheese and return to heat you can usually get 3 good brown skins then slap cheesey bread together and enjoy with side dish of browned cheese....

semi off topic anyone just put cheese in a non stick pan and let it get brown and crispy I remember drooling at the Silverstone commercials where they did that and it slid right out......make great crisps for plated salads too

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Yesterday I had a tuna melt, with what I discovered upon checkout was really expensive. But it was so good that's all I'll buy now. Tuna, Toma, Tomatos.

Bruce Frigard

i have made the ultimate grilled chesse sandwhich. i made it at work when we got in a new cheese we were going to use for a pasta. i had the munchies and a sandwhich with it and it was grilled cheese heaven. basically take any bread you want. i like a crusty bread so you get a good crunch. i like olive oil instead of butter. and the cheese is probably something alot you may not have heard of. it's called cacciocavalo. it's a smoked cheese from italy, and it without doubt makes the greatest grilled cheese sandwhich hands down. before you tell me about how you can't beat the classics try it and then tell me.

I've had Cacciocavallo, and now that you mention it, it should make a dynamite grilled cheese sandwich.

I hope DiBruno's has some around on my next trip down there.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the grilled cheese sandwiches you can get at Borough Market in London, outside the Neal's Yard store. The best one is made with Montgomery cheddar, scallions or shallots and a dab of mustard on Poilane sourdough bread, pressed. Most delightfully pungent, melting and crispy at the same time. Some people call this the "Lippy."

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the grilled cheese sandwiches you can get at Borough Market in London, outside the Neal's Yard store.  The best one is made with Montgomery cheddar, scallions or shallots and a dab of mustard on Poilane sourdough bread, pressed.  Most delightfully pungent, melting and crispy at the same time.  Some people call this the "Lippy."

I've always just made these myself (adore poilane bread, adore montgomery cheddar, can never have enough spring onions or shallots) . so when i get to borough market i have the chorizo with rocket sandwich instead.

x marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

The other night we had very thinly sliced pork loin that had been cooked in the Set It and Forget It - stuffed with garlic and herbes de provence - with red onion and provolone (lots) on potato bread, toasted up in the sandwich maker thingy with lots of butter. Really really good.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

When I was a kid, my mother would make grilled cheese sandwiches after we had worked outside in the yard during the fall when it was cold, or after we had come down off the ski hill, always an autumn/winter food. Always eaten with her delicious thick homemade tomato soup.

Now, I think the best grilled cheese is made with the oldest cheddar you can find cut into fairly thick slices on 60% rye fried in butter (or if you're a lethargic university student, a george foreman grill.)

it's called cacciocavalo. it's a smoked cheese from italy, and it without doubt makes the greatest grilled cheese sandwhich hands down. before you tell me about how you can't beat the classics try it and then tell me.

Sounds great. I finally got my hands on some Smoked Gubbeen (Murray's got some in for St. Patrick's Day) which makes a wonderful grilled cheese. Now to decide what bread - in Ireland I always used Adele O'Connor's sourdough.

I had a very nice Taleggio and strawberry chutney on Sullivan Street ciabatta the other day.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

We came up with the most wonderful special today that, judging from reactions, will probably make it to our permanent menu. I wish I knew more about the cheese though - maybe someone can help. There's no name (we got it from our purveyor who had no name for it either)- it's a Wisconsin Fox River cheese which is creamy and tastes like fontina. It came in a 5 lb. block I think and there was nothing but "Fox River" on the packing. It melts just great, just like fontina. We paired it with turkey and hot mango chutney on thick sliced levain bread - the contrasting flavors, mild and hot, worked great.

glenn, melt (jersey city)

• 1 month later...

Everytime I think we've found THE best sandwich, along comes another one... here's what the chef and I came up with and have been specialling the past week... double gloucester, carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and a hint of sage on thick sliced pullman bread (levain or multigrain).