• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Cheese

sherribabee

Still, for some grilled cheese is a "comfort food" which means that the remembered palate of a five-year old child is the standard by which things are judged.  :sad:

I'm not sure when grilled cheese has ever been considered a gourmet item. It was my understanding that it has always been a comfort food to most, not "some" and were it not, I'm sure one could just as easily criticize the choice of plain white bread, american cheese or velveeta or *gasp* the use of butter flavored spray in the pan as "grotesque." Personal taste is not grotesque. I find certian southern offerings odd, but, people like them and perhaps it should be looked into why those foods are liked rather than turning up the nose at the food choice itself.

John Thorne wrote an essay devoted entirely to bread and cheese in which the grilled cheese played a significant part. He was a Campbell's soup dunker, also, he dunked his sandwich in sweet pickle juice. He discusses to some extent the history of the grilled cheese, which is, in his understanding a relatively new creation adapted from the bread/cheese combinations that were originally the working man's meal. That does not seem like hauté cuisine to me.

Food, to me, forms community and it is a creative outlet as well. I'm always excited to bond with people over shared tastes and always eager & willing to be enticed into new ones.

You apparantly have a more educated palate than I, and more food experiance - that could have been an opportunity to educate rather than criticize. Noting the "I like ketchup's tanginess," you might have suggested an alternative method to achieve a similar effect to the contrast between buttery, cheesy fatty richness in the sandwich & the acidic, sweet, tangy contrast of the ketchup that I like so much & l'd have jumped on it & probably thanked you for the suggestion.

FWIW, my mother served stewed tomatos with grilled cheese when I was 5. I hated it - it was a bland, soggy counterpart. I want rich, concentrated flavor and tangy, slightly acidic sweetness to go with my grilled cheese.

The honey mustard mentioned in Jaz's post sounds creative and it is also a combination of sweet/tangy that might just hit the spot.

These days, I still love just about any variation of grilled cheese sandwiches. Every once in a while, I'll make one of my mother's versions. It's not the best, but sometimes, it's the only one I want.

Myself as well. My mom had some odd things that were unique to her she liked to make and every once and a while I get a craving for them (ex. the grilled cheese with miracle whip and onion). I griped at one point about how my family had no "culinary tradition" and we didn't really have recipes that we passed down or that I'd learned from grandma, etc. But it's interesting to me how little things like this become their own micro-traditions. It binds you to your family a little closer to share the same taste, especially when it is something that to outsiders at the time seems 'odd.'

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

buttered wonder.  american.  cast iron grill pan.

If you are talking the American in the blue (?) box like the Velvetta, I am with you.

I grew up with the blue box, Deluxe American, I believe, and it is superior to the wrapped singles, a.k.a. flappers. I'm getting GD hungry reading this thread, so I'll add my two cents and then sign off:

Brownberry whole wheat bread (gets crunchier than white)

Deluxe American

Butter

Melt butter in skillet, place bread slice in melted butter and remove from pan. Place other slice in remaining butter, add cheese, and top with other slice, butter side out. Grill over medium low heat until golden brown, and feel free to press down on it occasinally with the spatula -- the wheat bread can take it.

Slice with the spatula on the diagonal.

Butter two slices of wheatberry

Get a small amount of EVOO screaming hot in a cast iron skillet

One slice of the bread butter side down, topped with

One thin slice extra-sharp cheddar

Thin layer of shredded fontina

Two slices of garlic dill pickle sliced the long way

One slice Vermont White Cheddar

Second slice of buttered bread

When brown on the first side, lift onto spatula and add a little more EVOO, allowing a moment for the new oil to get some heat, then flip new side down

Serve with a bowl of steaming white bean soup.

I dare ya.

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Ketchup with grilled cheese?!?! Sounds weird to me. I like a firm buy plain white bread, like Pepperidge Farms, and two slices of Kraft singles. Butter the bread not the pan. The toaster bags make a good grilled cheese. And I'll take tomato soup with mine, thank you.

What is a toaster bag?

Wow, I think I have seen it all now I would not have believed it if I didn't see the pics, that is incredible! But I still like my cast iron skillet for grilled cheese, butter on the pan side of the white bread, velvetta or Kraft singles inside, MMMM good

Still, for some grilled cheese is a "comfort food" which means that the remembered palate of a five-year old child is the standard by which things are judged.  :sad:

I'm not sure when grilled cheese has ever been considered a gourmet item. It was my understanding that it has always been a comfort food to most, not "some" and were it not, I'm sure one could just as easily criticize the choice of plain white bread, american cheese or velveeta or *gasp* the use of butter flavored spray in the pan as "grotesque." ...

Actually, I was making an oft repeated disparagement of ketchup. Which (while I actually do despise it) was made as part of a kind of running joke which has been going on since October 2001. There is another involving skinless boneless chicken breasts. And another is turkey. The joke is just that I overstate myself and make inflexible and intolerant comments whereas of course it doesn't matter at all.

I meant no slight to you, your post, or your food preferences. I was in fact responding to someone responding to someone else who might have been responding to you.

As for grilled cheese, as posted earlier, there are thousands of variations of the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I am unsure what you mean by "tang" in regards to ketchup as I find only a sugary burn in it myself (which is why I dislike it) and so cannot readily come up with a suggestion that would please you.

Again, my apologies for any offence. None was intended. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My love for grilled cheese has waned. I've made it so often for my kids that I'm burned out with it.

The version I remember fondly from my childhood was buttered whole wheat bread, velveeta and mayonaise toasted up on the flat side of the waffle maker. My dad was the master grilled cheese maker in our house.

Now I tend to make it on potato bread, buttered with 2% kraft singles for my kids. That is as they demand. Doesn't do much for me, I'm afraid. I need to branch out and try the zilla version, which sounded awesome. Reawaken my cheesy desires.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

zilla, that does sound good.

In terms of cheddar I like to use a Balderson 10 year old white (of course). This might or might not involve jalapenos or mushrooms. It certainly involves having enough cheddar at the edges to run and brown. Then sometimes I might serve with a quick zest of lemon and a sparkling tart cider.

megaira, do you think you might like that in terms of tang/buttery interactions?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

As kids we got toasted cheese & tomato soup on Tuesdays, because my mom and us kids (grammar?) sprinkled, ironed,dried, folded and put clothes away. The sandwiches were Rainbo bread, Velvetta, butter. The soup was Campbell's, & I agree it ain't the same anymore. Fridays were my favorite, though, because that was "Skinny Noodle Soup" (Lipton's Dry Chicken Noodle) & TUNAFISH. As a kid I could have lived on tomatoes, chicken Rice-a-Roni, & tuna. I was my mother's despair. :unsure:

I was my mother's despair. :unsure:

Well, it's boring but a much more balanced diet than some kids follow. Basically balanced nutrition.

Hi!

I've been lurking here for a couple of days, but this is too close to my heart.  I love grilled cheese.  I stick with the traditionalists (cheddar on white), but I always put mustard on the bread before I assemble the sandwich, and never any ketchup.  OK, weird I know, but it's sooooo good.  :wub:

I've also had (years ago) a grilled cheese that was brie & apple on a grain bread (don't remember the specific type).  It was very good too.

Amen on the mustard! Oh - and welcome to eGullet... :smile:

Good potato or whole grain bread, lightly buttered on the outsides, sharp cheddar or havarti cheese, or really whatever is in the cupboard. I vary what type of mustard I'm using (Condiment Queen*) depending on how sharp the cheese is. Milder sweet mustards with sharp cheese, Dijon with creamier milder cheeses. Mendocino mustard and Dill havarti is a delicious combo. Fresh sliced tomatoes when in season only. Winter tomatoes tastes like wet cardboard. :angry:

That brie and apple combo sounds divine :wub:

*running joke amongst my friends that there's every flavor of mustard, hot sauce, marinade, etc. known to man in my refrigerator.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Actually, I was making an oft repeated disparagement of ketchup. Which (while I actually do despise it) was made as part of a kind of running joke which has been going on since October 2001. There is another involving skinless boneless chicken breasts. And another is turkey. The joke is just that I overstate myself and make inflexible and intolerant comments whereas of course it doesn't matter at all.

Ahhh, ok... I noticed a bit of teasing going on in the palate thread along the same lines & wondered.

Skinless Boneless Breasts I get (well, I think: you're paying for someone to essentially peel off the skin and detach the breast - a simple thing to do at home for half the price?)... I'm curious about the turkey.

I am unsure what you mean by "tang" in regards to ketchup as I find only a sugary burn in it myself (which is why I dislike it) and so cannot readily come up with a suggestion that would please you.

I think the sugary burn in it that you dislike, is a vinagry bite that I like. I'm a sucker for sour/tart flavors - lemon, vinegar, lime, some pickled things (I secretly devour entire containers of pickled ginger in the privacy of my own home & must restrain myself to keep from gobbling it up at a sushi bar).

Again, my apologies for any offence. None was intended.

:smile: Thanks... none taken. I thought at the time that the chance to say "why not try this" was lost (the lemon zest/tart cider sounds like a great idea and I'll certianly give it a try. Thanks!). I figured instead of getting worked into a pride poked huff, I'd go off and do some homework on the grilled cheese itself... I ended up yanking out the John Thorne again. His writing always sparks a food craving of some sort, so you indirectly did my appetite a favor. :biggrin:

Tommy:

LOL! hey megaira, don't worry about it. even we long-time-posters sometimes forget the joke.  :biggrin:

:laugh:

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

I like to use a pie iron to make my grilled cheese sandwich. It is essentially a clamshell type of device with long handles, sort of a smooth bore waffle iron. You butter bread and place it in either side of the iron, then place whatever filling you want in it, clamp it shut and place in fireplace or over stove.

Here is a pic of my bro constructing a sandwich in the pie iron, in this case filling it with sliced smoked bratwurst, saurkraut, sharp cheddar and a schmear of hearty mustard:

gc2404.JPG

This morning I made a sandwich consisting of pan cooked Taylor Pork Roll and Chipotle Cheddar:

The finished product:

gc2405.JPG

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I grew up with the blue box, Deluxe American, I believe, and it is superior to the wrapped singles, a.k.a. flappers.

:biggrin: flappers? Is that a registered trademark? :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 9 months later...

From the $10,000 grilled cheese thread:

Is this a good place to shamelessly plug my forthcoming new book, Grilled Cheese: Fifty Ways to Make you Melt

due out in the autumn. 

marlena

Great news!

Marlena Spieler's Grilled Cheese is now available on amazon.com. We just received a review copy from the publisher, and it looks fabulous. Not just the recipes but the mouthwatering photography by Sheri Giblin (whose previous work is included in Everything Tastes Better with Bacon by Sara Perry). In addition to the grilled cheese recipes, there's a detailed discussion of which cheeses and breads to use, and an accompaniments section with recipes for homemade tomato soup and zucchini pickles, as well as a salad summary.

I know what I'm having for lunch, grilled American cheese on white bread with tomato soup. Although, that may disappoint the author, as she says, "American cheese is probably the most famous processed cheese. Don't expect to find it in this book. Why choose processed cheese when there are so many fabulous cheeses to choose from?" (p. 17) Well, first off, I'm in a reminiscent mood. Second, I have the ingredients in the house. But I promise, next time I hit my local cheese shop, I'll have to get some Telleggio and make the "Austin Powers' Shag-a-delic 1970s Grilled Ham, Cheese and Pineapple" or some Gruyere for a classic "Croque Monsieur."

0811841294.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg Grilled Cheese: Fifty Recipes to Make you Melt

OK, I usually don't use such a big image, but isn't that picture of a Panini with Fresh Mozzarella, Prosciutto, and Fig Jam (recipe, p 34), just incredibly drool inducing?

My favorite grilled cheese is done open faced... the best part of a grilled cheese sandwich is the crispy fried cheese that oozes out of sandwich while it is cooking... so to maximize that effect I make my sandwiches thusly:

Take one slice of bread and cut up some cheese to fit its area closely.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat.

lay cheese on pan.

apply mustard or other favorite condiment to bread.

lay bread on cheese condiment side down.

allow cheese to brown and ooze its oils out.

scrape up cheese and flip bread and allow it to absorb the cheesy oil and fry until golden.

Enjoy.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

allow cheese to brown and ooze its oils out.

scrape up cheese and flip bread and allow it to absorb the cheesy oil and fry until golden.

cdh, that sounds amazingly good. What are your bread & cheese pairings of choice?

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

How can you have grilled cheese without WORCESTER SAUCE?

Also much better than a sandwich is a Welsh Rarebit, or even just cheese grilled on one side of bread, under the grill. That way you get the crusty bits. A real Welsh rarebit is with cheese sauce, preferably made with ale.

Add a poached egg on top and its a Buck Rarebit, and very good too. I suppose you could put an egg inside your sandwich, but don't forget the Lea and Perrins...

I have been trying to follow this thread, so I apologize if this has already been covered:

What type of cheese (and other accoutrements) would you pair with a hearty walnut raisin bread?

Need ideas...

Any blue-veined cheese, or a sharp cheddar-type would be my choice. Or an herby chevre if you want something more spreadable.

The Spanish like quince paste (Memebrillo) as a condiment, which works well with hard cheeses. The English like various chutneys.

Also, the more fattier the cheese you serve, the more tannic a wine you want with it as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

A recent masterpiece was as such:

Seven grain bread

light mustard

horseradish cheddar

sliced Jersey Toamtoes

sliced Avocado

Grilled until oozing. Yum!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!