• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilled Cheese

sherribabee

• 3 weeks later...

I ain't fancy. Vermont Bread Co. Organic Multigrain Bread, Cabot extra sharp cheddar, Cabot unsalted butter to grease the cast-iron skillet. It just doesn't get any better than that. Unless tomatoes are in season and I can get a slice of perfectly ripe heirloom to add. Then I have to add slivers of cheap muenster to hold it all together: cheddar on one side, muenster on the other, fat tomato slice in the middle.

Jennifer Brizzi

Author of "Ravenous," a food column for Ulster Publishing (Woodstock Times, Kingston Times, Dutchess Beat etc.) and the food blog "Tripe Soup"

Describe your ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.  What type of bread?  Cheese?  Extras?  How do you prepare it?

I had a really good grilled cheese the other day - it was made with sourdough, and mild gooey melted cheese (american is my best guess), with sliced roasted garlic. all cooked in a lot of delicious butter.

This is not actually a sandwich at all, but addressing the earlier tomato soup controversy, here is what I often do in pursuit of my lifelong effort to find new ways to convey melted cheese to my mouth (especially on days when the night before weighs heavily on my mind--if not always my memory).

Make some tomato soup (Campbells made with 100% milk if you're rushed). While it's heating, cube a bunch of sharp white cheddar and put the cubes into a shallow soup bowl. Put this bowl in the oven on lowest-low for about 5 minutes.

Remove bowl and pour steaming-hot soup over cheese cubes. Let stand for 3 minutes or so to start the melting process.

Eat, standing up.

If you want to "push your boat out," as the English say, splash a little sherry into the soup.

Please visit my new blog, Roadfoodie.

There's driving, and then there's Driving.

The chronicles of a food-obsessed traveler: her exploits, meals, and musings along the highways of America and beyond.

Kerry Gold Irish Swiss with crisp bacon on rye, grilled in a nice puddle of Kerry Gold butter, wighted down so the cheese oozes out and gets crispy brown in the super slick non-stick skillet... :wub:

I have not lately made the Parmesian crisps, but I sort of remember them being called fricos? Any ideas?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"