• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for Lard

A friend of mine is going to do a pig roast, Serbian style. Apparently this requires the use of a few pounds of lard. Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but where locally could one buy a few pounds of pure porky goodness?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

A friend of mine is going to do a pig roast, Serbian style. Apparently this requires the use of a few pounds of lard. Details are a bit sketchy at the moment, but where locally could one buy a few pounds of pure porky goodness?

Al only hangs out with people who can roast a pig. :cool:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

nominee, most useful and enticing thread, 2003

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Keswick Creamery, who vends at both the Takoma and Dupont Circle farm markets, sell fresh lard. I bet Polyface Farm at Dupont does too, and I know the last time I hit the Arlington farm market they had a vendor with lard as well.

You are inviting us all to this pig roast, right? Tell your friend I can make Serbian-style hush puppies. I'll throw some kraut and caraway seeds or something into them. :blink:

Your Serbian friend wants rendered lard, right?

Um, have you checked your local supermarket? (Mine carries it in the case with the bacon and breakfast sausage.) Or find a Mexican grocery store; it's always available there.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Um, have you checked your local supermarket?

My local Giant Supermarket certainly carries it, but it's in small blocks in waxed paper. I got the impression Al was looking for serious volume.

Or find a Mexican grocery store; it's always available there.

Excellent idea. There's one on the west side of the aforementioned farmer's market.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Thanks for all the great (and FAST) input. You guys are the best!

Apparently the lard is mixed with a lot of salt and then the pig is coated with it. Sort of like brining via fat.

He doesn't use a pig the size of Varmint's, it's only about 40lbs. The pig is run through with a spit and turned for 4 or 5 hours (hopefully he'll build a motor for that). He's doing lamb too and his wife is sure to whip up some burek.

A little Serbian cultural sidenote: he said when his parents got married, 200 pigs (plus a ton of other stuff) were served. Each guest is expected to take 1/2 a pig home with them. :blink:

-- A.B.

A little Serbian cultural sidenote: he said when his parents got married, 200 pigs (plus a ton of other stuff) were served. Each guest is expected to take 1/2 a pig home with them. :blink:

Gollies, that's what I call a party-favor.

varmint, what did you do with the congealed fat on your tennis court?

Pressure washer. Although it stained the concrete pretty badly. I need to add some detergent to the water next time I wash off the court (likely some time in June).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

varmint, what did you do with the congealed fat on your tennis court?

If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard someone ask about how one removes congealed fat from a tennis court.....

-- A.B.

nominee, most useful and enticing thread, 2003

I second the nomination and the Eastern Market suggestion.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Who's making the burek???

Splain please.

A burek is a small furry creature similar to rabbit native to that area of Europe. They're hard to catch as they can reach speeds of 70 mph.

-- A.B.