• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman's Country Kitchen

Fat Guy

South Philadelphia, SE corner of 11th and Wharton, opposite the police station. Open from 8AM to 2 PM from Friday to Monday and the occasional Thursday. Reservations recommended for the weekends, accepted only the day of the reservation.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Had lunch/dinner at Carman's on Saturday afternoon with buddy Claire. She's never been before and it had been too long since I'd gone to visit Carman myself. I had a spinach, blue and parmesan cheese omelet that was absolutely delicious, with some pancetta on the side that was a glory of porky goodness. Claire opted for the braised roast beef that absolutely melted. Yum. Everything was so good, but the portions were gargantuan and we ended up both taking home about half of it.

Carman had some drunken photos of me that I was unable to secure the negative of. Fortunately I did get the next to last copy of the damning evidence. Good thing I wasn't planning on running for public office any time in the future. Between the pictures Carman has of me and the FBI file on my subversive activities as a freshman at Penn, I'm doomed! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Carman hasn't quite figured out how to post pics to eGullet.

Yet.

That's okay, she can save them for later, when they're just as incriminating, and even easier to reveal.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Ok boys and gals, I've got some piks to share. On Monday May 17 Carman-of-the-Huge-Heart opened her kitchen to my entire family to celebrate the completion of my PhD! She even let me have a hand in the menu, which was the same menu she used all that weekend. It included pancakes with lemon and apricots, french toast with french vanilla yogurt and cherries, an omlette of asparagus, beets, ramps and stilton, and a lovely pan-fried rabbit.

I just got pictures from that event back, and am happy to share my joyous event with y'all.

At the beginning:

i8299.jpg

Here we are busting into some champagne:

i8290.jpg

i8300.jpg

Next, here's Carman in her kitchen:

i8292.jpg

i8293.jpg

i8294.jpg

Now some great shots of the food and people enjoying the Country Kitchen:

i8302.jpg

i8295.jpg

i8298.jpg

i8296.jpg

i8301.jpg

i8297.jpg

Edited by sara (log)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Yes, I do, when I tried to upload them they were too big, so I used msn groups to resize them, as suggested in some imagegullet info i found, and I guess it didn't work...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Thanks--I'll do this soon.

I got a PhD in sociology-- thanks for the congrats.

-- William Grimes

• 3 months later...

Oh dear GOD do I miss Carman's! They just don't make 'em like Carman out here in the Midwest. I'm gonna go make an egg just 'cuz she said to! :biggrin:

-- William Grimes

Amen Sister. Carman is one of a kind, and in a very good way. And howzabout her being just about the coolest Grandma anyone could hope for?

Congratulations Carman! Emma's a lucky little girl!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 weeks later...

Some friends and I were in Philly this past weekend (visiting from the DC area) and our Sunday brunch destination was Carman's Country Kitchen (per everyone's rave reviews). We loved Carman's. The food was outstanding and inventive; the service was top-notch, friendly, and extremely accomodating and flexible to our party of 5.

Two of my friends had Carman's challah French toast. It was wonderful. Two pieces of thick challah topped with caramelized granny smith apples, Breyer's coffee ice cream and whipped cream. The recommended side was perfectly crisp bacon.

My sister had the pancake special. Saffron, golden raisins and almonds were added to the batter and the same batter was used for Carman's waffles. The pancakes were topped with fresh figs and goat cheese with lemon thyme. It was a delightful combination of flavors. The pancakes were served with a sausage patty.

Another friend and I had the omelette special. A huge omelette filled with swiss chard, swiss cheese and dried cranberries. We were a bit skeptical about dried cranberries in the eggs but it worked. There were just enough cranberries in the omelette to make you forget that there were cranberries in the omelette but to pleasantly surprise you when bit into a cranberry. Does that make sense? Oh, and I can't forget to mention the homemade blackberry preserves. They were a wonderful addition on the buttery whole wheat toast.

We left Carman's full and happy. I'll definitely be back there when I visit Philly next.

Ahem...I just was in South Philly yesterday (10/11) and searched out Carman's because of the positive reviews. Sadly, when we arrived we were disappointed.

1 - It was lunch time, and the 4 item menu had but one lunch item...

2 - I almost settled for a French toast plate, but it was $12.00...sorry not worth it...

3 - Carman is a wee bit kooky, but I guess that might be her charm.

We went to Morning Glory instead, where I have never been, and had a well prepared brunch. See my blog for pics and details of my meal soon...

Carman's rules! OK! I will send anyone there. If $12 is too much for food that great served by a RED SOX FAN (GO SOX! KILL THE YANKEES!) I guess I'd send 'em to a Coffee Shop instead.

The going price for a hamburger at one of the "gastro-pubs" is $9+ (maybe a few extra bux if it has a proper name for cheese or a pepper) so $12 Carman's shouldn't be a big surprise.

As Holly Moore points out it is similar to the Friendly Toast in Portsmouth NH, which rules too, but is not as badass as when they used to be in the old stilt-fish-house in Kittery MAINE, overlooking the Piscatiqua, and served cubes of their hommade bread with a huge yard sale ceramic bowl of fondue. Man, I miss those days.

And there is another sister restaurant in Portland OR called Dot's, home of the burrito in a bowl and $1 Rainier pounders...green death.

So go eat at Carman's!

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

Ahem...I just was in South Philly yesterday (10/11) and searched out Carman's because of the positive reviews. Sadly, when we arrived we were disappointed.

1 - It was lunch time, and the 4 item menu had but one lunch item...

2 - I almost settled for a French toast plate, but it was $12.00...sorry not worth it...

3 - Carman is a wee bit kooky, but I guess that might be her charm.

We went to Morning Glory instead, where I have never been, and had a well prepared brunch. See my blog for pics and details of my meal soon...

Carman's Country Kitchen is as unique a restaurant as one will ever come across. And Carman's does indeed have its quirks. Not everyone clicks with Carman's. It is a natural selection process. Carman's, pushed to the gills, seats maybe 20; 26 in good weather, counting her pick-up truck / outdoor dining area. There is already a line of regulars out the door during prime weekend hours. If everyone "got" Carman's, I'd never be able to get a seat and that would be bad. :sad:

For those that don't click with Carman's - the Morning Glory is indeed a fine, dependable, predictable choice. They do a very good lunch.

A few facts lest others go there with similar expectations. Carman's doesn't serve lunch. Just brunch. Carman's always has but four choices - an omelette, french toast, pancake/waffle, and a "none-of-the-above" - usually a fish, poultry or meat entree. But wonderfully creative omelettes, french toast, pancakes and entrees. Surprising combinations that come together deliciously. If perch is on the menu it is not any ol' perch, but perch from a lake in Canada famous for it's perch. The sausages - just a dollar extra - Sonny D'Angelo's finest. The fruits and vegetables are from Anastasia, some of which I've never before encountered.

There is french toast worth every bit of $4.95 and there is french toast that is a great value at $12.

As for Carman being a "wee bit kooky," I think not. I have never known Carman to be a "wee bit" anything. When kookie is called for, Carman is as kick-ass kookie as they come.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Carman's Country Kitchen is as unique a restaurant as one will ever come across.  And Carman's does indeed have its quirks.  Not everyone clicks with Carman's.  It is a natural selection process...

For those that don't click with Carman's - the Morning Glory is indeed a fine, dependable, predictable choice.  They do a very good lunch.

A few facts lest others go there with similar expectations.  Carman's doesn't serve lunch.  Just brunch.  Carman's always has but four choices - an omelette, french toast, pancake/waffle, and a "none-of-the-above" - usually a fish, poultry or meat entree.  But wonderfully creative omelettes, french toast, pancakes and entrees.  Surprising combinations that come together deliciously.  If perch is on the menu it is not any ol' perch, but perch from a lake in Canada famous for it's perch.  The sausages - just a dollar extra - Sonny D'Angelo's finest.  The fruits and vegetables are from Anastasia, some of which I've never before encountered. 

There is french toast worth every bit of $4.95 and there is french toast that is a great value at $12.

As for Carman being a "wee bit kooky," I think not.  I have never known Carman to be a "wee bit" anything.  When kookie is called for, Carman is as kick-ass kookie as they come.

I suppose it deserves another visit. I suppose I was suspecting a quirky, inexpensive, home-cooked type meal; when I saw $12.00 for a normal breakfast, I decided no deal. I suppose it is a place you have to "click" with because of Carman's strong personality. Knowing Carman's is not just an ordinary diner, I think I will happily shell out the moola.

For the record: Morning Glory's menu was indeed solid, but its specials really made it a more unique diner. I am going to post some pictures of my meal at Morning Glory on my new Food blog:Minor Gourmandry The pics will be up soon (like by 10/16). Holly, in now way will it measure up to yours, but that's not the purpose either (one day I will figure out and formally announce this purpose in a post - maybe)...Thanks...

• 4 months later...

I've never been to this place, but Saturday's my birthday, and I'd like to go with my wife and a few friends for brunch. I seem to remember hearing about funny reservation requirements, but I can't remember the specifics. Can anyone enlighten me? I've heard nothing but raves about the place, so I'm really looking forward to it.

I've never been to this place, but Saturday's my birthday, and I'd like to go with my wife and a few friends for brunch.  I seem to remember hearing about funny reservation requirements, but I can't remember the specifics.  Can anyone enlighten me?  I've heard nothing but raves about the place, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pretty straightforward, really: call ahead. There's nowhere to wait, so you'll be thankfull you did. By the way, how many is "a few"? They have no easy way to seat more than four, I'd think.

"Carman's: we put the c**t back in country". Actual business card. Heh.

I've never been to this place, but Saturday's my birthday, and I'd like to go with my wife and a few friends for brunch.  I seem to remember hearing about funny reservation requirements, but I can't remember the specifics.  Can anyone enlighten me?  I've heard nothing but raves about the place, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Pretty straightforward, really: call ahead. There's nowhere to wait, so you'll be thankfull you did. By the way, how many is "a few"? They have no easy way to seat more than four, I'd think.

"Carman's: we put the c**t back in country". Actual business card. Heh.

Just two others, so four people total. Would I have to call the morning-of, or could I call later this week?

Reservations need to be made the day of your meal. Best to call between 9 AM and 10 AM.

Seating is catch as catch can. Depends on the time and what is available when you arrive. Either four of you around a smallish table, or four side by side at the counter. People seem to have a good time either way. Last Sunday they put a party of seven at the counter.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I suppose it deserves another visit. I suppose I was suspecting a quirky, inexpensive, home-cooked type meal; when I saw $12.00 for a normal breakfast, I decided no deal. I suppose it is a place you have to "click" with because of Carman's strong personality. Knowing Carman's is not just an ordinary diner, I think I will happily shell out the moola.

For the record: Morning Glory's menu was indeed solid, but its specials really made it a more unique diner. I am going to post some pictures of my meal at Morning Glory on my new Food blog:Minor Gourmandry The pics will be up soon (like by 10/16). Holly, in now way will it measure up to yours, but that's not the purpose either (one day I will figure out and formally announce this purpose in a post - maybe)...Thanks...

Quirky--check.

Home-cooked-style--check.

Inexpensive--whoops!

Worth it? You bet, especially when you toss Carmen in with the meal. And the waiter was playing a just-released CD from his jazz quintet when I went on a sunny afternoon in early January, another nice bonus.

I didn't have the $12 to plunk down for the CD at the time. Now I do, and I have some good news to pass on to Carman, who was supportive and encouraging as we discussed my own life situation. Guess it's time for a return visit.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

My friends and wife and I had a great brunch at Carman's on Saturday. Danny, one of our waiters, even put a candle in one of the braised carrots that came with my corned beef and sang Happy Birthday to me. The food was delicious -- a St. Patrick's Day-themed menu -- and the service was friendly and warm. The price is a bit higher than the other brunch Meccas in the neighborhood, but being able to make reservations is very nice -- it'll have to get a bit warmer outside before I'll look forward to spending 45 minutes on the patio at Morning Glory waiting for a table on weekend morning.