• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman's Country Kitchen

Fat Guy

Per Holly Moore's recommendation on another thread, I had breakfast at Carman's Country Kitchen this past Saturday. Not that I ever doubted Holly, but sometimes an experience so exceeds your expectations (and in this case the expectations were already high) that you've got to be amazed. Carman's really does serve one of the best breakfasts available -- certainly among the best I've ever had.<p>Carman's challah French toast is done just right. It's soft without being mushy, and egg-saturated without being soggy. But that's not all . . . She then piles the French toast high with wedges of fresh, ripe peaches and plums (the specifics vary seasonally). I'm talking about the equivalent perhaps of three entire large whole fruits -- a mountain. And there's more . . . On top of that she adds a rich yogurt dressing with crushed pistachios. Thick, crisp, sweet slices of bacon on the side. On the table, there's pure maple syrup.<p>The special omelette (every day there's a special in the omelette, French toast, pancake, and waffle categories) had fresh, sweet, local corn, green beans, tomatoes, and gouda cheese. The corn and green beans don't sound good, but you've got to remember the difference it makes when you're getting this sort of thing from local farms in season. It turned out to be a delightful combination. A huge omelette not overcooked. Served with a piquant chicken sausage patty with hunks of red peppers in it. Good whole wheat toast served with homemade preserves and a lot of butter (both already on the toast and on the side).<p>This is a tiny, idiosyncratic place with four or so tables and a few seats at the counter. It wasn't hard to get in on a summer Saturday, but I was told by our waiter that on Sundays it's nearly impossible. On busy days, you're limited to one of the four specials. On less busy days, you can also construct your own omelette or have a bit more to say about the combinations on your other items.<p>There are two guys working the dining room who are exceptionally polite. They handle the crowd control and customer management without any of the rudeness you might typically see at a sought-after sole proprietorship of this sort. Carman does all the cooking, and she does it one order at a time. If the restaurant is full, if there are orders ahead of yours, or if she decides to talk to a customer or friend for a few minutes, you wait.<p>The way to piss her off is to be demanding about substitutions, to ask for stuff like decaf coffee, or to try to rush things. She ejected one difficult customer -- a woman with a claimed allergy to corn who also started rattling off a dozen other special needs -- the day we were there. You have been warned.<p>On our way out, we introduced ourselves as friends of Holly's. Suffice it to say, this added quite a bit of time to our visit -- during which a lot of other customers waited for their food. I politely inquired as to the reasoning behind what some might call a draconian policy regarding substitutions, etc., and her reply was, "I'm servin' 'em good food; all they gotta do is eat it."<p>Check www.hollyeats.com for hours of operation. The restaurant is closed several days a week, and also Carman will be in Egypt for a few weeks later this summer -- so call ahead before making the trek to South Philly.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 weeks later...
Quote: from Fat Guy on 11:33 am on Aug. 6, 2001

Per Holly Moore's recommendation on another thread, I had breakfast at Carman's Country Kitchen this past Saturday.

[sNIP]

We had breakfast there last Friday. One other couple there. We had the challah French toast with fruit and sour cream and ginger. Delicious, although I felt maybe overpriced and felt it could have come with some bacon for ผ, but then it is a very small place. We didn't meet Holly, just her assistant.

We were a bit disappointed to be served sour milk with Helen's tea, and to get no apology.

I'd like to try her pancakes/waffles some day.

Doug

Sorry we didn't meet, but I'm not there as often as it might appear.  I am usually there first thing in the morning - a mere customer at the table by the kitchen.  I'm also a guy and am currently between assistants.

If "my assistant's" name was "Carman" you did fine.  It's her place.  You might have met SaraLee.  She's usually the server on Friday.  Also an incredibly talented artist.

Sorry about the sour milk and surprised there was no apology.  I'm sure Carman would have taken care of it if she knew.

As to the price - tain't cheap.  But everything is fresh from scratch, best ingredients and since the place seats about 18 jam packed she's not going to cover expenses on volume.

Glad the overall impression was favorable.  Pancakes are good.  So's the omelette.  And the other specials.  They change every Saturday and run through til Friday.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Quote: from Holly Moore on 10:15 pm on Aug. 22, 2001

[sNIP]If "my assistant's" name was "Carman" you did fine.  It's her place.  You might have met SaraLee.  She's usually the server on Friday.  Also an incredibly talented artist.

[sNIP]

As to the price - tain't cheap.  But everything is fresh from scratch, best ingredients and since the place seats about 18 jam packed she's not going to cover expenses on volume.

Glad the overall impression was favorable.  Pancakes are good.  So's the omelette.  And the other specials.  They change every Saturday and run through til Friday.

SaraLee was indeed her name. She was very nice, except for the overlooked apology.  And I said the same thing to Helen about the costs.

I'd definitely go there again.  

Doug

We had a great meal at the Sang Kee Duck House with another couple we'd met in Rome (and hope to see in London in January and Boston in April!). Peking duck, two huge bowls of soup, the stirfry from the duck, General Tso's chicken, 6 dumplings, all four about โ.

Scratch meal at the Reading Terminal Market, I had Chinese, nothing to write home about. I should have tried anyone of several other places, eg Delilah's or the Down Home Diner. But we did have breakfast at The Dutch Eating Place there. Scrapple and blueberry pancakes, great!

And a meal at a wholefood place on South Street. There are two, this was the big one, can't remember its name. Great place, with tables and a microwave where you can take your food. I had some excellent sushi and some London broil, a couple of great rolls, and some melon.

And the last afternoon on the way to the airport, a Vietnamese chicken hoagie from Ba Le.

• 2 years later...

As I recall, and I am not making this up -- Carman has a pickup truck parked outside with the following words emblazoned on it:

"We're putting the CUNT back in Country"

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As I recall, and I am not making this up -- Carman has a pickup truck parked outside with the following words emblazoned on it:

"We're putting the CUNT back in Country"

Yes - you read that right. It's also on the business cards. :blink:

First time I told someone about that they accused me of making it up!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Carman is anything but a loser. One way or another she has probably helped as many people as the local precinct. Don't judge her until you've spent some time around her.

And it's not that she refuses to feed cops - I've seen them in there in the morning - it's just that for a good portion of her life, she hung with and was married to people who's primary focus was not law enforcement or obeying too rigidly the laws being enforced. Cops won't get the warm Carman treatment, but they won't be kicked out the door either. Interesting attitude as the police station for two Philadelphia districts is directly across the street from Carman's Country Kitchen and could be a regular source of business.

For the record, the actual quote on her business card and the doors of her truck is, "She put the cunt back into country."

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

BTW, the article's placement in the Inquirer was indeed odd. Front page of the Metro/Local section. Extremely rare for a business to be so highlighted. Especially as today, Thrursday, is the day the Inquirer's Food Section is inserted.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Carman is anything but a loser. One way or another she has probably helped as many people as the local precinct. Don't judge her until you've spent some time around her.

And it's not that she refuses to feed cops -

It states in the article that she refuses to serve police officers, the very same ones who would lay down they're own lives in order to save hers. I sure wish I could be as choosy as she is about the people I have to serve, but alas I cant do that as I have to remain impartial and serve the community as a whole, not just the ones I like or choose to help. If she had refused to serve any other ethnic or social group, there would be lawsuits and hell to pay, but as always the cops just take it in stride and find another place where they wont spit in the food.

Walk in my shoes, feel the burning stares of hatred from people you dont even know. Because of the uniform you wear, you are a target for every nut and person with a hidden agenda out there, not to mention the people that would like to shoot you. Try to remain as optomistic as the day you started

I stand by my statement !

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

just like people, there are good cops, and there are very very bad cops. i know a few of both. it's unforunate for you guys, as you probably get stares and hated because of the bad ones, and not the good ones.

but anyway, her statement sounds more like one of publicity generation to me, assuming, of course, that cops do in fact get served. she seems like she's trying to push buttons, and clearly it's working.

Edited by tommy (log)

Carman is anything but a loser.  One way or another she has probably helped as many people as the local precinct.  Don't judge her until you've spent some time around her.

And it's not that she refuses to feed cops -

It states in the article that she refuses to serve police officers, the very same ones who would lay down they're own lives in order to save hers.

Not sure who it was who said, "Don't believe everything you read in the newspaper." ? i've been there when she has indeed served cops. Many a morning, in fact. Haven't been there but one time in the last two years, so that may have changed, but I suspect it hasn't.

Most likely it was either Carman giving the reporter something outrageous to print or the reporter misinterpreting a statement by Carman. It is indeed true that she has no love for cops.

I totally disagree with Carman's attitude towards law enforcement. She knows that, but doesn't hold it against me. :smile:

Hope I don't sound patronizing here - I respect your opinion and would probably feel the same way about Carman if I was walking in your shoes. I've owned a few retail businesses in Philadelphia and have had many encounters with police officers - all extremely positive. There is a trooper in Colorado who spoiled my day once, though. :smile:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It states in the article that she refuses to serve police officers, the very same ones who would lay down they're own lives in order to save hers. I sure wish I could be as choosy as she is about the people I have to serve, but alas I cant do that as I have to remain impartial and serve the community as a whole, not just the ones I like or choose to help. If she had refused to serve any other ethnic or social group, there would be lawsuits and hell to pay, but as always the cops just take it in stride and find another place where they wont spit in the food.

Walk in my shoes, feel the burning stares of hatred from people you dont even know. Because of the uniform you wear, you are a target for every nut and person with a hidden agenda out there, not to mention the people that would like to shoot you. Try to remain as optomistic as the day you started

I stand by my statement !

Chris,

Where in the article does it say that she refuses to serve police officers? All I saw was this statement:

On police officers, who are unwelcome at her establishment: "I can tell a cop 24/7. I can smell them, especially the feds. And bulges. Always check a man for bulges. That's not cash in their pockets."

That sounds consistent with what Holly said. She serves the police but does not welcome them.

It's an unfortunate misstatement, then, by the reporter and not by her. In that case, there should be a correction printed. The use of the term "unwelcome" clearly indicates to the reasonable reader that she has a no-serving-cops policy, as in "Jews unwelcome here" and "blacks unwelcome here." If that's not the case, it's the newspaper's obligation to set the record straight.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The use of the term "unwelcome" clearly indicates to the reasonable reader that she has a no-serving-cops policy,

I guess I am unreasonable, then. :biggrin:

You are right, though, that the reporter should have made it clear that the police are literally unwelcome, and that this is not a euphemism for them being banned. Perhaps Carman told the reporter, "Cops are unwelcome", but didn't say that she serves them.

Maybe she only serves dirty cops? Who knows?

You are definitely unreasonable. Reasonableness is, of course, defined by what I think about any given subject. And, to a lesser extent, what Chris Cognac thinks.

I wish I knew some Philly cops

That's one I don't hear every day!

What about those guys from The Wire? We could ask them. But they might kill us. My brother-in-law, a cop in Connecticut, told me when that show came out, "Philly is a tough place."