• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman's Country Kitchen

Fat Guy

Yes, that slice of Challah was bigger than my head.

*NOT* as big as your camera though..... :laugh:

You know what they say about guys with big cameras, don't you? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Anybody willing to get some of that figgie french toast and FedEx it to Wisconsin--the babe in my preggie belly is DROOLING!!!!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

• 3 months later...

does anyone know what days/hours Carman's is open? Specifically tomorrow, Thursday morning, b/c the last time I was there (a few months ago) I think it was open Friday-Sunday only.

Otherwise, I think we're off to 10th Street Pourhouse, since I've been to Sabrina's disproportionately lots this year.

• 1 year later...

We were just in Philadelphia for the weekend and had Sunday breakfast at Carman's, which in my opinion remains one of the best breakfast spots in the USA. There was a breakfast special of braised brisket with rich gravy, served with eggs, potatoes and a pumpernickel roll. I also opted to include bacon (recommended on the menu board). While eating it, I felt a little guilty that I hadn't first spent 5 hours working in the fields.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We were just in Philadelphia for the weekend and had Sunday breakfast at Carman's, which in my opinion remains one of the best breakfast spots in the USA. There was a breakfast special of braised brisket with rich gravy, served with eggs, potatoes and a pumpernickel roll. I also opted to include bacon (recommended on the menu board). While eating it, I felt a little guilty that I hadn't first spent 5 hours working in the fields.

Care to share with us where the esteemed Mr. Shaw and wife dined besides Carman's? Also, did you happen to pick up one of her business cards?

Figured you'd pick the weekend I was in Providence.

I've always kidded Carman about suggesting an additional breakfast meat for the meat special. But she goes ahead. Now I know why. Well done FG.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Care to share with us where the esteemed Mr. Shaw and wife dined besides Carman's? Also, did you happen to pick up one of her business cards?

Table 31. I started a separate topic for that one. (We were just in for Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast -- spent the rest of Sunday in Bucks County.)

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've always kidded Carman about suggesting an additional breakfast meat for the meat special. 

I had never considered the combination of brisket and bacon before, but it works beautifully. I'm cooking a brisket right now and I keep thinking how much better it would be with bacon.

I've always kidded Carman about suggesting an additional breakfast meat for the meat special. 

I had never considered the combination of brisket and bacon before, but it works beautifully. I'm cooking a brisket right now and I keep thinking how much better it would be with bacon.

Oh sure: think of all the beef-based stews that have a little bacon in them. A great combination, but not one that would really fly during Rosh Hashana...

Oh sure: think of all the beef-based stews that have a little bacon in them. A great combination, but not one that would really fly during Rosh Hashana...

Eating bacon during Rosh Hashanah is no more of a sin than eating it any other time if you aren't one that's inclined to keep kosher. Eating bacon on Yom Kippur when you should be fasting is an entirely 'nother matter.

edited to add:

Sorry I missed you, Steve. Would've been nice to see you. I wished you'd had time to stop by Chick's for a post-prandial cocktail, but I'm guessing you had a small guest with you whose ID wouldn't have passed muster? :wink:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Eating bacon during Rosh Hashanah is no more of a sin than eating it any other time if you aren't one that's inclined to keep kosher.  Eating bacon on Yom Kippur when you should be fasting is an entirely 'nother matter.

Who said anything about sin? As with all holidays, it's about symbolism and tradition.