• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman's Country Kitchen

Fat Guy

I found this thread by accident. Holly you are a wonderful wonderful man. Your site pointed me to Carmen's and it saved my trip to philly. Such a good breakfast might have been one of the best i ever had. I would gladly spend 12 bucks any time for that french toast - oh and the pancakes - wow!

I got to go back.

• 3 months later...

Fabulous this morning: buttermilk pancakes w/ sweet potatoes, topped w/ honey glazed oranges, scotch bonnets and the challah french toast topped w/ pears, fresh figs stuffed w/ something pink & goat cheese. Usually I pick waffles over pancakes but the pair of giant pancakes were fluffy and tender, and I think they come out much better than the waffles, which I think often don't get crisp enough (or maybe it's fruit in the batter that sometimes keeps it from crisping up in the wafflemaker). We also had the veal sausage (from Martin's) in link format and the country sausage as a patty. I think you get more sausage if it comes as a link. The veal was a little dry but yummy, and the country patty was all sorts of caramelized goodness. I believe the omelette was filled w/ stewed jersey tomatoes, blue cheese and maybe cornbread crumbles. The lunch item was a pair of quail. For those who complained about pricing, a side order of sausage/bacon now costs just $1 more on top of the entree (I think it's been this way for a while.)

We were in Philly this past week. Our first stop was New Castle, Delaware, where I had a TV interview about my book. The guy on CN8 asked my my favorite restaurant in Philly and I told him Carman's. As soon as the taping was over we hopped in the van and made a bee-line for Carman's.

Hey! She changed the schedule and is now only open Friday to Monday. And it was Thursday. We regrouped and had lunch at one of the outdoor cafes on Market Street, near our hotel (Sheraton Society Hill).

The next morning we planned better, enlisted Holly as a mediator, ascertained that Carman was definitely open and that she'd be accepting of the whole family (parents, baby, bulldog, Holly Moore . . .). The meal was wonderful. I forgot how great all the little touches are, for example the selection of jams from North Carolina that actually taste like fruit. Ellen preferred the fig jam; I preferred Damson plum. There are about twenty choices. The omelette of the day had asparagus, onions and blue cheese. Beautiful flavors, especially paired with a double order of extra crispy bacon and very good rye bread.

Holly ordered the pork chops. His looked better. Bastard.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm really, really hoping I can justify a trip down to my corporate HQ in Blue Bell shortly so I can hit Carman's and a number of other Philly places. I've been wanting to eat at this place for years.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm really, really hoping I can justify a trip down to my corporate HQ in Blue Bell shortly so I can hit Carman's and a number of other Philly places. I've been wanting to eat at this place for years.

So why do you need to justify a trip by linking it to business? It's less than two hours down the Pike, perfect for a weekend day trip. Or make a weekend of it with a cheap Priceline hotel deal (you can usually get a room at a 3* for under $70) unless there's a big convention in town, like there will be Oct. 9 (30,000 dentists - keep your mouth shut).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Well, its because there has to be a reason to go down there, such as for a all-hands company meeting or training or something. I pretty much travel where they tell me to go. But given thats where my firm is headquartered, there's a good chance I'll be down there soon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 months later...

Had a really great brunch at Carman's on sunday, I'm really glad I managed to get organized enough to call ahead for a change!

DDP had the special omelet

gallery_23992_2576_15413.jpg

It had, ummm... I don't remember what it had in it, but I stole a forkful and it was really tasty, especially with the recommended pancetta on the side.

Another special of beef stew with eggs sounded odd at first, but slowly insinuated itself into my imagination until I couldn't resist...

gallery_23992_2576_46395.jpg

And I'm glad I succumbed to that impulse, it was delicious. The chunky, tender beef stew was served over potatoes and other vegetables, with a couple of eggs on the side. Toast was good for mopping up both egg yolks and sauce. I almost licked the plate...

Portions were huge, that one meal held us through a whole day of strenuous movie-watching.

I can't wait to go back, thanks Carman!!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I should probably pay her a visit again sometime soon.

After I get my business cards.

She was a wonderful spirit-lifter when I stopped by on a Tuesday afternoon about a month and a half after losing my job at Penn. I suspect she might be interested in hearing what's happened since.

Besides, I should pick up one of those jazz CDs her waiter's band recorded.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got to Carman's. It was happenstance that I was crossing the bridge with my folks, who are visiting, and my mother said she wanted pancakes. A light when on in my undersized cranium and thought "What day is it?". I called Carman and we went right over.

I had the special, appropriate for St Patty's day. Corned beef topped with a horseradish mustard sauce on a heap of rutabega, carrots and cabbage cooked in beer and cider. Two damn good eggs, toast and potatoes as well. I got a side of terrific applewood smoked bacon, worthy of mrbigjas pride.

We also had the pancakes which were layered with almonds and sugar, topped with baked pinapple and a lemon stilton crumble. Stilton in name only - not a hint of blueness really.

The french toast challah was particularly good. Stuffed with lekvah (pruney goodness indeed) and orange rinds and topped with poppyseed coated orange slices.

The place is really fun looking and Daniel behind (and in front of) the counter was really helpful and nice. Of course, Carman was her wonderful self. My father and she got along particularly well. An off color gent who never missed the opportunity to embarrass me as a kid (and adult at times), my dad loved talking to her about "stuff". I will leave it at that.

Thanks Carman for a great breakfast! My parents actually finished theirs which is no small feat considering the portion size. I am sure they will insist we return when they are back in the area.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Drove down with the kids for the day and one of the places we ate was Carman's. Thanks Holly for the kick ass site, we had steaks, pork and tomato pies on your reqs, all rockin. I won't eat for a few days!

I didn't read this thread before hand or we really would have called ahead and will for sure next time just in case. We still got lucky with a table right away but couldn't help think we might have missed out totally if we had to wait with impatient kids in tow.

Carman was great with my two year old who was acting like a two year old who just spent and hour and change on lock down in a car and then asked to sit still for another hour while everyone eats :wacko: . It was not pretty but Carman had him sucking his thumb and looking for mama in seconds. I should have left him for a day of attitude adjustment!

Next time either my older two share or better yet, I may leave them at home and sit at the bar, this would have made the meal 10x more enjoyable, its a grown up toy store!! As mentioned above, it ain't cheap but worth all that and some.

Had the french toast special with the best country sausage ever! :wub: Coffee rocks too. Here is a pic of it. I almost made the mistake of going without the chocolate ice cream on top! Sorry, its a cell phone pic.

gallery_39050_2669_17384.jpg

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

• 2 months later...
Am I right that Carman is away for a few weeks?  Do we know when she gets back?

Carman is touring the Mideast and is due back the second (I think) week of July. No international incidents yet, but I'm still hopeful.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Am I right that Carman is away for a few weeks?  Do we know when she gets back?

Carman is touring the Mideast and is due back the second (I think) week of July. No international incidents yet, but I'm still hopeful.

Heard the news from a couple of disappointed would-be patrons en route to the South Philly Acme this morning. I steered them to Sam's Morning Glory as a consolation prize.

I hope she's enjoying her trip. If we hear news of a surprise deal between Hamas and Israel, we will know who was responsible.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I hope she's enjoying her trip. If we hear news of a surprise deal between Hamas and Israel, we will know who was responsible.

If there's anyone that could pull this off we know it's Carman... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 1 month later...

Carman's back.

The challah french toast this past weekend = blueberries, mango, coconut, lime, chili peppers, cream cheese with a side of the country sausage. And the omelette had greens, yellow squash, shallots, something, smoked gouda, and we added a side of the turkey bratwurst.

Surprisingly, the turkey brat (patty format) was juicier than the presumably pork based country sausage (sausage split down the middle). We were there on Sunday from ~11-12ish and it was busy but no one had to do too much waiting.

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone been by her place recently? on my way to the acme this morning i noticed two LARGE signs in her window stating something along the lines of "If you've got the cash, Carman speaks any language." Atta way to stick it to Joey Vento! I wish I had a camera. What a woman.

has anyone been by her place recently?  on my way to the acme this morning i noticed two LARGE signs in her window stating something along the lines of "If you've got the cash, Carman speaks any language."  Atta way to stick it to Joey Vento!  I wish I had a camera.  What a woman.

For the price of an Inquirer, you could see a photo of the sign with my column in Tuesday's paper. Not posted online.

You mean this:

gallery_7409_476_55146.jpg

One of the best advertisements ever known to man.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

has anyone been by her place recently?  on my way to the acme this morning i noticed two LARGE signs in her window stating something along the lines of "If you've got the cash, Carman speaks any language."  Atta way to stick it to Joey Vento!  I wish I had a camera.  What a woman.

For the price of an Inquirer, you could see a photo of the sign with my column in Tuesday's paper. Not posted online.

So I'm a little late to the game. Eh, the price of a week in New England and lobster rolls galore!

Well, we had the cash, so we decided to speak with Carman in various languages this morning...

gallery_23992_2576_74237.jpg

OK, I forgot what was in the omelet, but three eGulleteers seemed to like it, so I'll bet they can fill you in. I really enjoyed the bite of sausage I managed to steal from Katie...

gallery_23992_2576_8585.jpg

Carman's French toast is always outrageously good, and this was no exception, topped with peaches and figs. Yes, that slice of Challah was bigger than my head.

gallery_23992_2576_29693.jpg

Cornmeal-crusted Conch and Eggs, with a side of Pancetta. I'll admit this is the first time that I've ever seen this on a menu, but I'm glad I got to try it, the bite I stole was very tasty.

As always, enough food to provision us for a couple of days, and delicious.

(And by the way, don't mess with Carman, she's had Uzi training....)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com