• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Cabo San lucas

ellenesk

Highlight of the trip was Las Ventanas. 

LOVED Las Ventanas! World-class cuisine, screamingly expensive, but great wine list and fantastic food and service. Worth every penny! We were staying at Esperanza, whose dining room couldn't hold a candle to that at Las Ventanas.

Last night had dinner at Mi Casa in San Jose del Cabo.  Beautiful candlelit garden with waterfalls and attentive service.  I don't recommend sitting right next to the waterfall though, as I could barely hear my friends speak during dinner.  Started with a watermelon cocktail which was refreshing and delicious.  I had a chile relleno with spicy lamb and cheese, really good, and lamb for an entree.  Very good, perhaps a little fatty, but well-seasoned and tasty.  Friends enjoyed sea bass and seafood risotto.

Are you sure you don't mean Mi Cocina? :wink: This was one of our favorite finds of the trip, and it's been almost two years. Exceptional atmosphere, fabulous and sexy without being overstated.

We went to Mi Casa in Cabo San Lucas, which was very good but traditional Mexican (it's been there for decades), a very different experience than Mi Cocina.

For those wishing another wonderful meal, try Agua at Palmilla. Charile Trotter's C at the same resort didn't look half as interesting and totally non-Mexican to boot. I'll put my money on Agua any day of the week.

And for an "are we going to get dysentary here?" experience, go for the carnitas at Carnitas Michoacanos. A few blocks off the main drag in CSL, the best carnitas you'll ever eat. Just drink the beer or Pepsi through straws.

Last but not least, I'll put in a good word for French Riviera. So good we went twice.

Are you sure you don't mean Mi Cocina:wink:  This was one of our favorite finds of the trip, and it's been almost two years.  Exceptional atmosphere, fabulous and sexy without being overstated.

George, you're right - I edited my post - in fact, every time we told someone we had reservations at Mi Cocina, they asked us if it was Mi Casa . . . . thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going in a few weeks, staying at the recently reopened Palmilla.  Does anyone have any experiences with this property?  I understand Charlie Trotter, from Chicago, is to run the fine dining restaruant "C" there.

Thanks!

We went to Cabos last winter and will be going back in Feb. Ate at the Charlie Trotter restaurant at Palmilla and can truthfully say I would NEVER recc. it! Our meal for two - cocktails no wine - was $300 - which is absolutely ridiculous; they tried to seat us indoors when I said we wanted to be outside on arrival; and the overly fancy presentation is just plain silly and over the top - for example silver covers over the dessert, pulled off with a flourish. This may be fine in Chicago or NYC at a high end restaurant but in Mexico?

The food was good - but far from spetacular.

If you want to eat at the hotel - stick with Aqua - their beach restaurant.

Judy

We stayed at Esperanza(worth every penny)  and found the food much improved over last year(although I think the main restaurant at Ventanas is better than the main restaurant at Esperanza)  The palapa grill is a greatl alternative at Esperanza for those who want to have a meal at the resort, without springing for the dining room.

So is Esperanza THE place to stay? I've heard it's toss-up between here and Las Ventanas. How was your room at Esperanza? Anything else to share?

Thanks!

I can only say that we loved Las Ventanas! In fact we are going back there in Feb. for two weeks! Their dining room is excellent! We ate at several places - including the main dining room which has one of the best views in Cabos - and is very good indeed.

I can't speak for the rooms but have heard nothing but good reviews of the hotel

We stayed at Esperanza(worth every penny)  and found the food much improved over last year(although I think the main restaurant at Ventanas is better than the main restaurant at Esperanza)  The palapa grill is a greatl alternative at Esperanza for those who want to have a meal at the resort, without springing for the dining room.

So is Esperanza THE place to stay? I've heard it's toss-up between here and Las Ventanas. How was your room at Esperanza? Anything else to share?

Thanks!

I can only say that we loved Las Ventanas! In fact we are going back there in Feb. for two weeks! Their dining room is excellent! We ate at several places - including the main dining room which has one of the best views in Cabos - and is very good indeed.

I can't speak for the rooms but have heard nothing but good reviews of the hotel

We loved Esperanza; the room was beautiful (900 square feet, killer bathroom with open shower and separate soaking tub, huge terrace, comfy bed, etc.) and the service spot-on. We checked out Las Ventanas for dinner one night; extraordinary (and pricy) dining room and remarkable wine list. Las Ventanas seems to be a bit more of a "scene," but Esperanza has remarkable views, stunning architecture, and peaceful grounds. Also a bit more "laid-back" than Las Ventanas.

• 3 months later...

Am thinking about going to Cabo San Lucas in mid-July -- probably not the best time to go, but we'll be on the west coast at that time. Is it too hot to be enjoyable? Have read a lot about the beaches for the most part not being swimmable -- is that really true? What about at the hotels along the corridor? Does anyone have any comments abou the Westin, Sheraton or Hilton? We're not really looking for wild night life, but more interested in a few days of relaxation, beachtime, decent food.

We stayed at the Pueblo Bonita Pacifica just past Cabo San Lucas - got a great rate on Expedia, and we absolutely loved it. Incredibly relaxing, very quiet, beautiful grounds, no scene, no kids permitted. Smaller and much newer than the ones you mentioned. Most of beaches are no swimming b/c of the crazy riptide, I think that's limited to the Pacific side though. We found some amazing food though, described in my previous post. Cabo's beautiful, especially loved San Jose del Cabo. We rented a car, which I highly recommend - we were able to explore both towns and went to Todos Santos. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

• 1 year later...

Time to bump this up again. Will be in Cabo for a late autumn family reunion. Any recent experiences? Has "C" improved? What's the best for Mexican regional and also high end cuisine? Anything really special currently? Any good places to buy food to cook?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Time to bump this up again. Will be in Cabo for a late autumn family reunion. Any recent experiences? Has "C" improved? What's the best for Mexican regional and also high end cuisine? Anything really special currently? Any good places to buy food to cook?

I just posted a roundup with photos from my trip a couple of weeks back. You can find it by:

CLICKING HERE

I just posted a roundup with photos from my trip a couple of weeks back. You can find it by:

CLICKING HERE

Great timing. Very nice report!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz