• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making gravlax

Joni

The ProQ is an English (OK, Cornish) designed product, and yes, they do sell 'special' dust for it.

But the basic point is that it doesn't actually depend on proprietary dust - BUT - it is (as I had suspected) indeed fussy about the fineness and dryness of the dust - though it turns out that needn't be a problem!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Excellent news jmolinari. Can you elaborate on your curing methods.

we are heading to the beach for a couple days with friends. I'll be making another batch of Nova lox to take with me to share along with some other seafood goodies.

scubadoo, this was my methodology:

1) brine 2 sides of salmon in a 15% salt brine +5% dark brown sugar for 10 hours

2) rinse clean water and let soak with running water for 20 minutes

3) Dry and lay on cake rack in fridge to dry for about 1.5 hours

4) brush one of the fillets with maple syrup. Back in fridge for 1 hour

5) smoke with oak chips for 5 hours. Fish on ice packs. Fish stayed at about 65-68 deg. while smoking.

6) Let sit in fridge overnight to mellow

Smoke flavor is MAYBE a touch too strong. Wife says no..i say maybe. Next time i'll smoke for 4 hrs instead of 5 and use some spices.

Very similar to my method. I have gone to just rinsing without the soak and have not noticed any problems with salty taste issues and I've even started scoring the skin side to let more brine in. I'm typically brining for about 12 hours but this is with skin on. Often I'll brine overnight and then in the morning rinse and dry then smoke later in the day.

How does the maple hold up flavor wise in the finished product. I ask because I've done it and didn't notice much difference in the end. My last batch I added a bunch of freshly ground coriander to the brine. I did notice a mild coriander taste in the fish.

Have you tried dry curing instead of brining?

I started out making gravlax but found that after a couple of days of curing that the texture got a little gummy. Tried brining and liked the texture better. What works well for me but is just a little more work is a combination of both. 24 hrs dry cure and then follow with a wet brine for no more than 12hr and then refresh. This gives a firmer but yet creamy texture.

Interesting, I'd love to hear more about the combo technique or Scottish technique. Usually what I do is make a dry cure 6 to 1 sugar to salt ( 4pts white 2 part brown)+ Dill, white pepper, all spice. Cure 2 days unpressed. Rinse, dry, form pellicle and cold smoke 1 hour. Generally my preference is not to add too much flavor to the salmon to let garnishes add the accents. But sometimes I'll do a more Cali take and add fennel fronds and preserved lemons to the cure.

• 4 months later...

I can report back that finding wood for the Pro-Q is in fact rather difficult in the US.

Butcher-packer stuff is too coarse.

I found wood that works at psseasoning.com but ONLY the mixed hardwood dust. The other varieties (apple, cherry) are too coarse.

This weekend i'm making anohter batch of lox, i'll add spices and herbs to one at least.

Thanks Scoobadoo, that's some expensive sawdust, but at least we know it would work.

Today i'm making 2 more sides of steelhead. Both brined with lots of coriander and some juniper.

One brushed 3-4 times, while drying in fridge for pellicle, with dark rum. Will smoke 4-5 hours.

• 11 months later...

Hi all - resurrecting this thread to ask a question which I was surprised wasn't discussed that much (i didn't read every post but did some searches). I bought a nice piece of (farmed) salmon today with the intention of making gravlax with it. After reading a few recipes online I started getting nervous about the whole parasite issue. Ive heard so many different theories on this topic. To blurt out a few: Salmon should be frozen first for 7 days before curing to kill any parasites - but home freezers dont actually get cold enough to accomplish this. Curing kills parasites - or does it? Farmed is better because theres less of a chance of parasite - wait no.. MORE of a chance! And then on top of everything all this talk about parasites doesnt even address the fact that bacteria can survive all of these methods.

After reading all this I am now scared to make this dish. I also have a wife that is nursing which I read a whole bunch of other warnings about (listeria??)

Does anyone here have any cold factual nuggets to share that will convince me to proceed? Because I really want to make this. Saying youve made it a number of times and never had a problem isn't good enough - because you may have just been lucky?

Thx!

WBC

I've made gravlax every month for 10 years. And never had a problem. When I was living in Florida, I used wild-caught salmon. Now that I live in the desert, I use steelhead trout. I can only find "farm raised, color added" salmon in the local markets. So, I'd rather use a good steelhead than a mediocre salmon.

I'd go ahead and make it. And then freeze most of it. Gravlax freezes quite well, once cured. You go ahead and try some. But I'm in complete agreement that it really shouldn't be on the menu for a nursing mother. There are just too many variables -- not least of which it sounds like this is your first time making gravlax.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Listeria risk foods are a no no when pregnant, but while it's possible that listeria could be transmitted through breastmilk, there has never been a case of it. In fact there are no food avoidance recommendations due to safety for nursing mothers.

I was under the impression that a week in a home freezer WILL kill parasites..

On the freezing topic Ive come across a lot of info but heres what the fda says about it. Basically has to be -4 deg farenheit for 7 days or -31 deg until solid. I guess -4 isnt impossible for a home freezer.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/Seafood/FishandFisheriesProductsHazardsandControlsGuide/ucm091704.htm

Anyway I went ahead and made the gravlax. Still havent decided if I'm going to eat it or not. It was a small piece and this is kind of an experiment first. My wife is not going to eat it though.