• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Komi, 17th & P Streets

therese

I had an off the charts meal at Komi last night!

Me too.

Mark apologies if our group was a bit loud last night as you could probably tell by the number of bottles on the table we were feeling no pain. We tried using the dump bucket but you just can't dump an 86 Forman! Here is the list if you were wondering. All these worked really well with the meal except for the sausage dish which was apparently too spicy for the wines we had.

Alphonse Mellot 2001 Sancerre Edmond

Kistler 2002 Chardonnay McCrea Vineyard

Jo Pithon 2003 Savennieres La Croix Picot

Henri Gouges 2002 Nuits-St.-Georges 1er Les Pruliers

Planeta 2002 Syrah

Casanova di Neri 1995 Brunello di Montalcino

Paitin 2002 Barbaresco

Corino 1993 Barolo

Bernabe Navarro 2003 Leva Daniel Alicante

Valsacro Dioro 2001 Rioja J & D Selection

Forman 1986 Cabernet

Ch. Meyney 1986 St. Estephe

Warres 1994 LBV Port

I had an off the charts meal at Komi last night!

The amuse of dates stuffed with marscapone cheese were absolutely spectacular. We were really dissapointed when our lovely server wasn't able to procure for us another plate even if we were willing to pay.

My first course consisted of tempura fried squash blossums filled with riccotta. Included on the plate were a ramesco sauce, a beef carpaccio of sort, some lightly par boiled fava beans, and lightly roasted olives.  Really well put together I'm impressed at how the flavors of each really stood out and I like the relatively little saucing.

Next course was the sea urchin rissoto.  If you are a uni fan run don't walk to KOMI for this course.  There is a nice size portion of ultra fresh uni placed on top of the rissoto which was made with lobster stock. The Uni makes this risotto jump off the plate with a rich creamy brine essence that is un-mistakeable.  Fantastic.

Then came the smoked and spit roasted suckling pig served with a polenta of sorts and small brussel sprouts. This worked so well together. The smoke was deep and rich the portion which reminded me of an osso bucco was so tender and falling off the bone, perfectly cooked and in need of nothing else.  This was not sauced either and I was really happy with that since the pork was soooo flavorful.

Finally the fresh made doughnuts with chocolate (and something else) marscapone topping out of this world.  This was my first KOMI experiance but I'll definetly be back soon. It was a little warm in there once the place filled up and got a bit loud as well but all in all just a wonderfull meal.

Sorry I missed it, but Maine was good too. Glad you guys had a great time. See you and the Cru soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone give me an idea about the pricing at Komi? It sounds great, and I am interested in going soon, but can't quite get a fix on cost. What is the price of the tasting menu(s)? I understand it is quite a wine list -- much available in the $35-55 price range? About how much should I expect to pay for dinner for two, including a nice bottle of wine? Thanks!

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

• 10 months later...

An article in today's Washington Post reminded me that the most delightful restaurant meal I've had in months was a few weeks back at Komi near Dupont Circle. Hagedorn gushes so much -- and rightfully so -- about rising star/hottie/wunderkind/chef Johnny Monis that, if you haven't been there, you might not realize how comfortable the place is to curl up in and hang out at for hour after hour. Get the full menu, and the wine pairings (note: some do not love the paraings, I personally can't see getting my knickersin a twirst about them. Especially since, if you finish your glass, they keep pouring more).

If you're in town, or you'recoming to town, and you haven't been been yet: go.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Can someone give me an idea about the pricing at Komi?  It sounds great, and I am interested in going soon, but can't quite get a fix on cost.  What is the price of the tasting menu(s)?  I understand it is quite a wine list -- much available in the $35-55 price range?  About how much should I expect to pay for dinner for two, including a nice bottle of wine?  Thanks!

tasting menu = $64. with wine pairing = $104. well worth it.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Finally got to Komi , and I must commend everyone who has written about this little gem. Using the reviews , I had a pretty good idea of what was what when we got there (two couples). You all made life easier. There is no rationale for me to review the foods that we enjoyed, with perhaps, one exception-the second best soft shell I've ever eaten (I, me, myself do soft shells BEST on the grill with no batter-so mine are the best). So I'll have to say this was the best soft shell that I've ever eaten from a professional kitchen.( so there Bob Kincaid and Jeff Black)

If we had ANY complaint it is simply the NOISE level, to a point that we (old folks) could not hear the wait staff descriptions. I KNOW that there are simple, inexpensive solutions to this problem.

Go to Komi and enjoy yourselves, and as advised by previous reviewers buy the whole package-pre fix with the wines.

Ted Task

Rockville

• 7 months later...

Had friend whose judgment I trust visit recently only to find the food wonderful but some of informality that I thought made the place particularly delightful had dissipated. A little too much somberness among his fellow diners and a waiter who -- in my friend's word's -- "had a Louisville Slugger up his ass." (My friends and I are a little proprietary about the strip where Komi is -- we were were puking in the alley behind Komi when most of the servers there were eating mom's PB&J's for lunch and many of their customers were afraid to drive into the city. We are much better behaved now, but we claim a certain right not to treat the place as a temple.)

On the other hand, another group of friends wandered in a bit liquored up recently and reported that their somewhat boozy ebulllience was was tolerated and even welcomed.

My last visit -- six months ago -- was closer to the latter case: we had a great time, the servers all seemed to smile (in addition to being uber-competenent) and when we started drinking the wine pairings faster than they could serve the food, they just poured us extra half glasses as needed. Yum.

In all cases, food has been reported as excellent.

Further good news: Derek Brown, an excellent Maitre d' and sommelier will be joining the team any day, which means excellent wine pairings and a good time to be had by all.

I'm on the pavement

Had friend whose judgment I trust visit recently only to find the food wonderful but some of informality that I thought made the place particularly delightful had dissipated.  A little too much somberness among his fellow diners and a waiter who -- in my friend's word's -- "had a Louisville Slugger up his ass."  (My friends and I are a little proprietary about the strip where Komi is -- we were were puking in the alley behind Komi when most of the servers there were eating mom's PB&J's for lunch and many of their customers were afraid to drive into the city.  We are much better behaved now, but we claim a certain right not to treat the place as a temple.)

On the other hand, another group of friends wandered in a bit liquored up recently and reported that their somewhat boozy ebulllience was was tolerated and even welcomed.

My last visit -- six months ago -- was closer to the latter case: we had a great time, the servers all seemed to smile (in addition to being uber-competenent) and when we started drinking the wine pairings faster than they could serve the food, they just poured us extra half glasses as needed.  Yum.

In all cases, food has been reported as excellent.

Further good news: Derek Brown, an excellent Maitre d' and sommelier will be joining the team any day, which means excellent wine pairings and a good time to be had by all.

Bourdain...Bourdain who? You really sound like my kind of people. We got to get together one day and swap stories. Won't be the first time my wife has nudged be in the ribs hoping I leave the past swept under the rug. :laugh:

I was hoping to visit Komi last year but unfortunately had to cancel our trip.

Hoping to make it in the next few months as I am fond of small chef driven restaurants driven by soul. From all the outstanding things I have read I am looking forward to it.

Robert R

Hoping to make it in the next few months as I am fond of small chef driven restaurants driven by soul. From all the outstanding things I have read I am looking forward to it.

I think you will definitely enjoy it. We're headed there pretty soon ourselves.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I think you will definitely enjoy it. We're headed there pretty soon ourselves.

Robert40: Note, if you haven't already, they they are now all-tasting menu, all the time, which is great, just don't figure on a dinner-and-a-movie night out. (Although, on a nice night, living it up at Komi for about three hours and then cabbing over to the monuments for a self-propelled night tour is a pretty good way to walk off dinner.)

I'm on the pavement

• 1 month later...

Rarely am I so impressed by a restaurant or have my expectations so far exceeded. And if so, after only one visit I often will withhold comment thinking it may be a anomaly.

Maybe the stars just happened to align perfectly for me last Friday but I can't hold back. Run to Komi... Don't walk.

This young chef and small staff is doing some amazing things and taking no short cuts. Recently picked as one of Food and Wine magazines 10 best new chefs for 2007 is well deserved.

I am sure it has been said before that the room is small and understated with the focus on the food. Which is fine with me as it was warm and inviting with a neighborhood feel.

My wife and I ordered the degustazione menu with wine paring included.

Derek Brown the sommelier formerly of Citronelle did a outstanding job of paring wines to the something like 22 or 23 different course's which we had over a four hour time. Looking back, how I wish I would have wrote them down but this was one of those rare meals where your afraid to do anything that will distract your attention from the experience.

Not one course was disappointing. Small charred padron peppers with a sunchoke panna cotta filled with a quail egg yolk and topped with caviar.

House chorizo sliced paper thin over scallop ravioli with cauliflower was delicious.

Boudin Blanc with morels was off the chart's good.

I found the small labor intensive items Chef Monis adds to each dish truly impressive. Like the venison mousakka next to the loan. Or the morcilla as a side to the squab.

He cures many items in house which adds a whole other element of flavor to a dish. This is a chef who seems to take the extra steps to take each dish to another level regardless of the amount of effort it takes.

I see a lot of chefs out there getting a whole lot more press who would benefit from getting a cooking lesson from Johnny Monis. I know for a fact if I was ten or fifteen years younger I would be knocking on his door asking for a stage.

Komi can hold it's own next to some of the top meals I ever had and I can't wait to return.

Robert R

• 3 weeks later...

HIDALGO SHERRY DINNER

Monday, May 14, 2007

6:30 PM

$150 Per Person

Join us May 14 as KOMI serves a dinner menu to complement the wines of Vinicola Hidalgo.

Our Greek mezzethakia are a natural match for the sherries of Jerez. After all, the cuisines of Greece and Andalucía are both rooted in the Mediterranean Sea; it is possible that Greek sailors introduced viticulture to Andalucia around the 6th century BCE; and the word Jerez may even be of Greek origin.

Winemaker Javier Hidalgo will be on hand to discuss his wines.

Please reserve with Derek Brown at (202) 332 9200.

Komi | www.komirestaurant.com | 1509 Seventeenth Street | Washington DC 20036

“Let us candidly admit that there are shameful blemishes on the American past, of which the worst by far is rum. Nevertheless, we have improved man's lot and enriched his civilization with rye, bourbon and the Martini cocktail. In all history has any other nation done so much?”

Bernard De Voto (1897-1955) American writer and critic.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have a trip to DC starting tomorrow. So I'm reading this forum to find places to eat. I put Komi on the list. Today I get my Food and Wine. And here is the chef, best new chef 2007. Does this mean I won't be able to get a seat at the bar for dinner for the next couple of days?

Johanna

Johanna

Okay, I have a trip to DC starting tomorrow.  So I'm reading this forum to find places to eat.  I put Komi on the list. Today I get my Food and Wine.  And here is the chef, best new chef 2007.  Does this mean I won't be able to get a seat at the bar for dinner for the next couple of days?

Johanna

Robert R

Okay, I have a trip to DC starting tomorrow.  So I'm reading this forum to find places to eat.  I put Komi on the list. Today I get my Food and Wine.  And here is the chef, best new chef 2007.  Does this mean I won't be able to get a seat at the bar for dinner for the next couple of days?

Johanna

Mark

Just a side note.

This is only speculation on my part and I have no idea if I am correct or not. Yet I can't help but wonder if Komi's closing this week is due to Johnny Monis attending the Aspen Food & Wine Classic?

If so I am amazed! I realize it is a small restaurant with a small staff. But it is very unusual for a chef to close based on not being in-house for a couple days. Bills continue to roll in and the thought of closing is unheard of in the industry.

I once worked at a extremely well known restaurant in the DC area and at times we would not see the chef in two weeks. Never mind two days. :laugh:

Truly impressive and certainly a sign of extreme dedication.

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

• 3 weeks later...

We went last night, our first time in almost a year, and spent three delicious hours there. Twenty courses with wine pairings are the road to ruin (at least for me) so we chose the dinner rather than the degustazione, and drank a Greek sparkler with the mezzethakia, a glass to match our pastas, and a bottle for the main course. I can't possibly recite every course, but highlights were:

cauliflower with caviar and sea urchin essence a kiss on the back of the neck. I wanted to run my finger around the inside of the little shot glass and lick off every last drop.

peekytoe crab with daikon, cucumber, edible flower petals, and a chili sauce Crab, cucumber, and daikon very clean and sweet, earthy (pasilla?) chili sauce, and intense floral aroma from the petals

fava agnolotti, garlic scapes, house cured chorizo, curry emulsion brilliantly paired with a bone dry Gewurtztraminer

spit-roasted goat, with 1996 Pommard "Grands Epenots," 1er cru, Domaine Michel Gaunoux. Roasted meat with Burgundy. Really, does it get any better than that?

The pacing had a few slight bumps, with a some uneven gaps between the little courses at the start, but on the whole the rewards were worth waiting for. Service had the mix of formality and approachability that enchanted me last summer. It was lovely to meet Johnny ("What a nice young man," my 38-year-old husband said :laugh: ) and it's always a pleasure to see Derek.

Thank you Komi, and a bigger thank you to our special chauffeurs, who enabled us to enjoy that lovely Burgundy without having to drive afterwards.

Oh, and the 80's music is back. Psychedelic Furs and the Smiths last night ("Keats and Yeats are on your side, while Wilde is on mine")

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 1 month later...
Can someone give me an idea about the pricing at Komi?  It sounds great, and I am interested in going soon, but can't quite get a fix on cost.  What is the price of the tasting menu(s)?  I understand it is quite a wine list -- much available in the $35-55 price range?  About how much should I expect to pay for dinner for two, including a nice bottle of wine?  Thanks!

My, my. It's just a little over a year later and the dinner is $75 and degustation is $155. Now, I've never been (but am contemplating a visit on my next trip to D.C.), so I don't know if the price reflects a change in the number of courses, etc...

I just looked up Komi's menu. Can anyone enlighten me as to what Orata mi alati might be? It's listed as a main course (for 2, served with local beets). Alas, I don't speak Greek, and neither does my Google.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

My, my. It's just a little over a year later and the dinner is $75 and degustation is $155. Now, I've never been (but am contemplating a visit on my next trip to D.C.), so I don't know if the price reflects a change in the number of courses, etc...

I just looked up Komi's menu. Can anyone enlighten me as to what Orata mi alati might be? It's listed as a main course (for 2, served with local beets). Alas, I don't speak Greek, and neither does my Google.

u.e.

Dorade. Sea Bream. etc. etc

Don't miss Komi my friend. I'm not sure if there's another restaurant out there at the moment that I could recommend more.

Robert R

I just looked up Komi's menu.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what Orata mi alati might be?  It's listed as a main course (for 2, served with local beets).  Alas, I don't speak Greek, and neither does my Google. 

I don't speak Greek either, but based on past Komi menus, I suspect it is a whole roasted fish. In the past he's done Bronzini Mi Harti (which was also for 2) so that's my guess.

We were extremely happy with the $75 tasting menu... it didn't seem like more courses than last year, exactly, but it felt like plenty of food for the price. I would highly recommend a visit. Especially considering that minibar is now over $100 a plate, I would recommend Komi as the best way to experience something impressive and unique on the DC dining scene.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media