• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good but Sturdy Glasses?

tammylc

I bought a set of 6 Speiglau glasses last New Year's Eve, and I'm now down to 2. My husband (much as I love him) can't seem to wash them without breaking them, and I've even broken one myself. I keep looking at the Amazon "buy 6, get 6 free" deal and thinking I should order some, but I'm worried about their longevity in my household.

For what it's worth, the glasses I have are the Chianti glasses - I don't know if their design makes them less sturdy than other versions. In addition to being fragile, I've also found that they feel really top heavy to me, which is something I don't like.

Anyone have any suggestions for high quality, crystal glasses that are a little sturdier? Mark Sommelier mentioned Schott-Zweisel on another thread - anyone have experience with them? How do they compare to Speiglau or Reidel?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

They are not particularly high end, but we got Waterford Marquis glasses (they are sold on Amazon as well) when we got married. They were the best option at the time for a large clear wine glass (Macy's registry). They have held up well over the last 3+ years (have only broken one.) I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade to Reidel or Speiglau.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

They are not particularly high end, but we got Waterford Marquis glasses (they are sold on Amazon as well) when we got married. They were the best option at the time for a large clear wine glass (Macy's registry). They have held up well over the last 3+ years (have only broken one.) I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade to Reidel or Speiglau.

What's the rim like? The thing I like about the high end glasses is the smooth, non-rolled rim.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Do you have a Cost Plus Imports near you? They have a Spieglau knock-off for $4.99 a stem:

Edited to Add Link to Cost Plus

There's one right across the street from where I work, in fact.

The look good in the picture, and are certainly in a price range I can live with... Have you used them?

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Do you have a Cost Plus Imports near you? They have a Spieglau knock-off for $4.99 a stem:

Edited to Add Link to Cost Plus

There's one right across the street from where I work, in fact.

The look good in the picture, and are certainly in a price range I can live with... Have you used them?

Having broken too many Speiglau and other high-end glasses, these are all I use now. No rolled edge! Very clean...

I buy them by the dozen for the holidays and don't stress when one gets broken.

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation of cheap stemware. My wife and I bought ones from pottery barn last year and all but one was broken...until this weekend! :unsure:

A World Market just opened up near by. I think that may be our best bet!

Thanks! :biggrin:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)

I use Speiglau glasses, both Bordeaux and Burgundy stems. I think the trick to not breaking them is leaving them on the counter until the day AFTER imbibing. :biggrin:

Rinsing them out before you go to bed is probably a good idea, however.

Edited by futronic (log)