• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molokai Eats

Sweet Willie

Did a search, not too much on Molokai.

did find the following:

My father owns Kamoi Snack-n-Go, a local-style snack shop on Molokai (Icee, ice cream, seeds, chips, candies, sodas, etc.)--the only non-Honolulu location of Dave's Ice Cream. We ate ice cream six days in a row--lychee (twice), green tea, Hawaiian rocky road, mac nut, vanilla, haupia/coconut (twice), cotton candy. The employees even top the ice cream with free samples of li hing mui. No really good plate lunches on Molokai (however, Kanemitsu Bakery is not to be missed).(posted by Kimo)

Anyone have suggestions for Molokai?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

try pm-ing kimo as she's (i think she's a she) from the island. i was on molokai for a couple of days and unfortunately, i don't think there's a whole lot there. it isn't as touristy as the other islands, so the food scene isn't as happening.

SW: There is no food scene on Molokai (speaking as a former 18-year resident and someone who has visited several times a year for the past 16 years). Luckily, my late grandmother was a fabulous cook/baker and my mother is a fine cook as well. So, I survived. :biggrin:

The best bet: try to befriend a local or two and get invited to a luau. Molokai families make some of the best luau (plural, no "s") in Hawaii. Squid luau, poke, raw crab, poi, lomilomi salmon, kalua pig, haupia/coconut pudding, lau lau, etc. I always try to go to a "real" luau or two whenever I am home.

However, some hidden gems (east to west):

Neighborhood Store (approximately 16 miles from the main town of Kaunakakai) - okay plate lunches; mediocre saimin; known for mustard-mayo dipping sauce for fries.

Hotel Molokai (approximately 2 miles from Kaunakakai) - waterfront, the best restaurant on the island; decent fried rice for breakfast. "Kanikapila" (musicians jamming and hula dancers dancing one after the other) on Friday "pau hana"/happy hour. Additional music on Saturday nights. Typical island cuisine (fresh fish, shrimp, steak, etc.)

Kanemitsu Bakery (in Kaunakakai, the main town) - "hot bread" from the ovens...after 10:30 p.m. every night except Monday (bakery is closed on Tuesdays). Ask any "local" and they'll tell you where you need to go (back alley, knock on the door and order your flavors--cinnamon and sugar or cream cheese and strawberry jam are the two most popular). The bread is incredible...no preservatives, does not last more than two days without refrigeration.

Farmer's Market on Saturdays (in Kaunakakai, across the street from the main library) - kulolo (taro-coconut pudding), papayas, homemade cookies, okra, lettuce, tomatoes, zukes, etc.

Health Food Store (in Kaunakakai, closed on Saturdays) - decent veggie sandwiches.

Friendly Market (in Kaunakakai, closed on Sundays) - best selection of raw fish/poke, best place to buy groceries.

Kaunakakai Wine Shop (in Kaunakakai, next to Kanemitsu Bakery) - incredible selection of wines, okay cheeses (nothing special).

Kamo'i Snack-n-Go (in Kaunakakai, next to my family's drugstore) - awesome ice creams (made in Hawaii by Dave's in Honolulu), including lychee, green tea, haupia (coconut), etc. My dad just installed a few new Icee and coffee machines.

Molokai Pizza Cafe (Kaunakakai) - surprisingly good pizza.

Cook House (Kualapuu) - great, homemade pies; decent plate lunches.

Molokai Coffee House - one block from the Cook House; opens pretty late (after 8 a.m.); strong, Molokai-grown coffee.

Kumu Farms (near the airport) - most amazing mac nut pesto...basil grown on this farm. All the Hawaii-based Costcos sell it.

Sheraton Molokai Restaurant (Maunaloa, far west of island) - Chef Martina (former chef at the Kapalua Bay Hotel on Maui) makes great salads (only item I have tried). I need to go to this restaurant for dinner on my next visit.

Hope this helps. We're back for nine days (Thanksgiving) and will try a few new places (i.e. new Chinese place in Kaunakakai)...

Aloha, Kimo (girl!)

This is the only URL I have found with a semi-complete listing of restaurants:

http://www.johann-sandra.com/hawaii/molokai/dining.htm

Please note: KFC has gone out of business. There is now a Subway on the island. Kalua Koi Resort has closed down. Village Grill in Maunaloa has closed down. The microbrewery went under after less than four months.

Aloha, Kimo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We just spent two weeks on Moloaki and probably ate at the Cook House five times.

It has new owners for CA, Steve Price and his wife, and they are doing a great job, especially at breakfast.

Cathy and I split a corned beef and cabbage lunch one day. At $8 and it was far too much food for the two of us.; it was as good as any I've had on the mainland.

Chicken fried steak for breakfast was unique, and of course the rib specials on Thursday draw a huge crowd.

It's still pretty funky and you need to put up with the flies, but I think it's only going to get better. Can't wait to get back.

dave

Aloha, Kimo!

Does the new Chinese place have a name?

I had the flu AND stomach flu for most of the nine days...unfortunately, no new news to report re: Molokai.  Aloha, Kimo

Don't forget Orviedo's up the street. They serve really downhome Filipino cooking. We had the chicken and green papaya plate lunch. Humble surroundings, but the food is cooked with pride by the owners.

Miulang

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My family and I relocated from WA to Moloka'i almost two months ago. I've been off eGullet until this afternoon. Sorry for not responding...it's been kinda crazy!

Jojo's closed several years ago. The owners (who relocated to Moloka'i via India, London and Connecticut) opened an Indian restaurant in Honolulu (across from McCully Shopping Center). They have now retired from the restaurant biz.

I'll submit a more detailed Moloka'i report next week...I'm off to my son's 1st year baby luau!

Aloha,

Kimo

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

As of September 5, 2005, the following is a Molokai update (hope this helps future visitors):

Neighborhood Store (approximately 16 miles from the main town of Kaunakakai) - new ownership...apparently in escrow. I'll give more of an update.

Hotel Molokai (approximately 2 miles from Kaunakakai) - waterfront; my husband and I have stopped going unless invited for breakfast; it's gone downhill in the six months we've been back on island.

Paddlers' Inn - new restaurant owned by the former owner of Hotel Molokai. Decent high-end plate lunch food; place to be on Friday and Saturday nights.

Subway - in Kaunakakai; we go there on Sundays--foot long sandwiches for $4.99 each.

Molokai Drive Inn (Kaunakakai) - okay plate lunches; wonderful plate lunches when there's fresh ahi or opakapaka.

Cody's Lunch Wagon (Kaunakakai) - cheap eats right next to Kamoi Snack-n-Go.

Big Daddy's (Kaunakakai) - decent Filipino food and plate lunches.

Oviedo's - new ownership; one of our employees could eat there everyday...decent Filipino food.

Sunrise Cafe (next to Oviedo's) - another new Kaunakakai take-out place; decent sandwiches.

Kanemitsu Bakery (in Kaunakakai, the main town) - "hot bread" from the ovens...after 10:30 p.m. every night except Monday (bakery is closed on Tuesdays). Ask any "local" and they'll tell you where you need to go (back alley, knock on the door and order your flavors--cinnamon and sugar or cream cheese and strawberry jam are the two most popular). The bread is incredible...no preservatives, does not last more than two days without refrigeration.

Farmer's Market on Saturdays (in Kaunakakai, across the street from the main library) - haven't seen kulolo (taro-coconut pudding) lately, papayas, homemade cookies, okra, lettuce, tomatoes, zukes, etc.

Health Food Store (in Kaunakakai, closed on Saturdays) - decent veggie sandwiches.

Friendly Market (in Kaunakakai, closed on Sundays) - best selection of raw fish/poke, deli goods, best place to buy groceries.

Misaki's - only market in Kaunakakai open everyday; decent poke; cheap canned goods and beer (best place/prices to buy liquor), only place to buy rotisserie chicken

Wines and Spirits (in Kaunakakai, next to Kanemitsu Bakery) - for this town, an incredible selection of wines, okay cheeses (nothing special).

Kamo'i Snack-n-Go (in Kaunakakai, next to my family's drugstore) - awesome ice creams (made in Hawaii by Dave's in Honolulu), including lychee, green tea, haupia (coconut), etc. We now offer Hoolehua, Molokai-grown organic banana splits with Molokai macadamia nuts and a slew of other sundaes, malts, Blizzard-like drinks, frozen coffees and milk shakes.

Molokai Pizza Cafe (Kaunakakai) - surprisingly good pizza; Mexican lunch specials on Wednesdays.

Stanley's Coffeehouse - only place in Kaunakakai for espresso; decent turkey sandwiches and homemade muffins.

Cook House (Kualapuu) - new ownership; prime rib on Thursday nights; packet at night; great, homemade pies; decent plate lunches.

Molokai Coffee House - one block from the Cook House; opens pretty late (after 8 a.m.); strong, Molokai-grown coffee; good for Molokai.

Kumu Farms (near the airport) - most amazing mac nut pesto...basil grown on this farm. All the Hawaii-based Costcos sell it.

Molokai Ranch - My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary there...really can't recommend it.

No Chinese place...yet! No Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern, Steakhouse, McDonalds, etc.

Aloha, Kimo