• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon

John Whiting

Gayot recently reported: "Originally slated to open in January 2003, the much anticipated opening of master chef Joël Robuchon's new restaurant in The Hôtel Pont Royal in Paris has been pushed back to **mid-March.** Seven years ago, Robuchon, who had been named Cuisinier du Siècle, Chef of the Century, retired at the peak of his career. Now he is returning with the goal of creating chic and affordable cuisine in a totally new restaurant concept."

http://www.gayot.com/restaurants/parisnews.html

I called the hotel where the Robuchon venue will be situated, and was told early March was the currently hoped-for date.

When I asked whether hotel guests would have an ability to make reservations, the hotel indicated the arrangements were not clear at this point. Note that a 300 euro rate was available upon request of whether a discounted room rate was available. The lowest listed rate is higher than 300 euros.

• 1 month later...

Won't be open for another week or two...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Of course- and especially when I try it!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 4 weeks later...

In today's free Metro newspaper, there is a two page spread on Robuchon and the new restaurant. He wanted to have it open on Monday, April 7. That's his birthday. BUT, it's not going to happen. Nevertheless, he hopes it's open by the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems we let this slip quietly away - but has anyone been to Robuchon yet?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I tried to eat there May 5, but it turns out they were (finally!) opening to the public on May 7, a week ago.

No reservations taken. First come, first served. There's a large communal table facing the open kitchen - convenient for single diners, I guess. Average price per person, only 50 euros! (But wine can make this jump up...) There's even a dirt-cheap children's menu, I'm told. Grilled crawfish (langoustines) will be great, Joël promises.

French readers may find it interesting to see this Libération interview published May 10th:

http://www.liberation.fr/page.php?Article=109478

Edited by vserna (log)

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

"Robuchon Returns

Master chef Joël Robuchon opened his new venture, L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, in the Hôtel Pont Royal on May 7 ...

... from time to time, Robuchon will prepare some of the dishes that made him a celebrity (such as truffle pie, potato purée, foie gras soup). His appearances will also be from time to time. The other good news is that Robuchon's goal for the menu is chic but not expensive: E 50 is the average bill. Grands crus are offered at cost price, and also by the glass. ..."

Readers of English may want to visit Gayot.com to read the complete article. It sounds as if the article was written earlier and updated to include the first sentence, but it's an interesting article. According to Gayot, the restaurant will accept reservations within one hour of arrival, but I've heard that lines have formed before opening times outside on the first few days. Tourists, no doubt.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

A friend of mine went the other day, and said it was amazing. I was supposed to have further details from him during drinks last night, but I was whisked away to a full-on party for a Dior designer in a 6 story loft in the 19th instead. The supermodels won, but only for now.... Details later on this evening. On L'Atelier, that is...

blog

It was a pretty wild ride... a friend of a friend sort of thing.. the apartment, if you can call it that, was on six levels, in what appeared to be a former atelier or factory of some sort... every level has a different room, all connected by a central staircase, so there was first a salon, then bedroom, then kitchen, then dining room, then entertainment room,etc. The entire building belonged to the designer whose party it was. The entire building was fronted by glass windows going the entire length from floor to ceiling... peopled with models, hanger-ons,designers,architects,etc,etc

As for the food, it was pretty much: Lay's chips,M&M's,and whatever one could salvage from the monster, stainless-steel fridge. Lots of alcohol, and illicit substances as well (which I did not partake of, of course!)

Oh yes, and a fantastic view of the canal near La Villette

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

Still no details from my friend on L'Atelier. They take no reservations. Period. First-come,first-serve. I do know that my friend spent 235 Euros, wine included. A pretty good deal for 15 dishes, and a good bottle, no holds barred....

blog

As for the food, it was pretty much: Lay's chips,M&M's,and whatever one could salvage from the monster, stainless-steel fridge.

This post confirms the end of French culture as we knew it. I've never been so depressed. Please tell me that the models were at least petulant.

But this was just a cool b-day party, not a catered event. And most of the people were partaking of alcohol, not food.. I remember one great party for the Dior launch of "Higher" perfume for men under the Louvre pyramid which was well-catered, Potel and Chabot did it, I think, and I ate like a pig, and drank like a fish...

blog

I remember one great party for the Dior launch of "Higher" perfume for men under the Louvre pyramid which was well-catered, Potel and Chabot did it, I think, and I ate like a pig, and drank like a fish...

Ah, to eat like a pig and drink like a fish . . .

NY Times on Robuchon

There was something about the review that was gnawing at me, other than the immediate hunger pangs it brought on. Then I hit on it. This place sounds positively . . . Italian. Could it be that the master of haute cuisine has created a restaurant that is fundamentally Italian (even if it does serve eclectic/French food)? And, if so, what would this do to the Maxim of Steve P?