• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sauce Bois Boudrin

I've looked on the net and in my extensive library, and I can't find any recipes, and scant reference to sauce 'bois boudrin'. I'm sure someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

Ready to order?

Er, yeah. What's a gralefrit?

Grapefruit.

And creme pot... pot rouge?

Portugaise. Tomato soup.

I'll have the gralefrit.

It's in Michel Roux's "Sauces" book. Its a uncooked sauce of oil, vinegar, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, shallots and herbs (chervil, chives, tarragon). I think Roux created it himself, although all he says is that he has loved it since cooking for the Rothchild's.

I came across it first on Stephen Terry's menu at Coast (only read it, didn't actually eat there to my great regret), when he served it with pea and polenta pont neuf and cod if I remember correctly.

It's absolutely lovely!

One of those things that tastes so much better than you would think from the recipe.

It's really good with white fish and grilled or roasted chicken.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

I have to try this. The combination of tomato and worchestershire sounds reminiscent of what makes Brennan's turtle soup so good. polly is right... another combination that is more than the sum of the parts.

Damn... Now I have to go buy another book!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose