• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Kegerator

reggie_212

I've been doing a little research into getting myself a little fridge and transforming it into a kegerator. While some of my other early 30s friends have advanced to a more mature stage in life where they're buying homes, having children, etc, I myself am regressing to my old frat days where draft beer was available in home.

There seems to be quite a few kits available online so my question is has anyone actually done the conversion? The information seems to indicate it is as simple as drilling a hole and screwing on the tap. Is it that easy? Also, would any of these conversion kits be compatible with all kegs of beer? I'm interested in primarily storing either Bass or Newcastle and I'm wondering if whatever equipment I do purchase can hook on to the imported keg.

Just one last question for those in the NYC area, I've been told by someone that NYC regulations prohibit the use of carbon dioxide tanks without a license making the home kegerator technically illegal. Is this true and if so, would I actually have to go out of city to get my tank filled?

About 18 months ago, I was doing your same pondering. Then along came an old buddy, wanting to generate some much needed cash, selling his used compact keg refrigerator. Tap is built right into the top, it's on large castors, so mobility in the backyard area is very easy. It will accomodate up to 1/2 keg capacity, with the co2 tank inside. Keep the lines clean weekly, they really need it to keep the beer tasting fresh.

This unit was about 2 years old, new they run around $550 or so, and I was able to bring him down to $200 cash, including delivery.

Can't comment on the NYC thing.

I get full use out of mine in the warmer months, and use the refrigerator for overflow during the holiday's when the keg is not in use.

I love it. :biggrin:

woodburner

Don't know whether this gadget is available in US, but the Brits sure love it:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/.../BNStory/Front/

The only brand I'm familiar with here in the states that have the nitrous oxide cartridge is Guiness.

It's amazing how this little invention has such esteem in Britain. Thanks for the link.

About 18 months ago, I was doing your same pondering. Then along came an old buddy, wanting to generate some much needed cash, selling his used compact keg refrigerator. Tap is built right into the top, it's on large castors, so mobility in the backyard area is very easy. It will accomodate up to 1/2 keg capacity, with the co2 tank inside. Keep the lines clean weekly, they really need it to keep the beer tasting fresh.

This unit was about 2 years old, new they run around $550 or so, and I was able to bring him down to $200 cash, including delivery.

Can't comment on the NYC thing.

I get full use out of mine in the warmer months, and use the refrigerator for overflow during the holiday's when the keg is not in use.

I love it. :biggrin:

woodburner

Thanks for the info. Do you have a kegerator made by a company called Summit?? I've seen it advertised on some websites for about 650 to 700 dollars. It does seem nice, especially with the wheels making it portable anywhere--Draft beer in the bathroom!

The conversion kit works out to be a bit cheaper. A little fridge that can fit the quarter barrel and CO2 tank goes for approx. 150 to 200 new. Add the conversion kit which is about 200 for a standard kit.

I don't believe mine is a Summit, and not really sure which brand it is. But here is something I have found to be important. The internal temperature inside my keg refrigerator gets much colder than a normal little apartment refrigerator.

This helps a lot in keeping the beer icy cold on those 90 degree days of August.

All in all, my response is to try and find a used keg type factory made. Save the hard work, and pour a couple of cold ones. :laugh:

woodburner

Kegerator conversion kits are in the words of Jamie Oliver "easy peasy". Me and my buddy made one with an old fridge we got for free. It's really as easy as putting one hole in the front for your tap and one out the side for the Co2 tank hose. Saved us a ton of money....the one advice I have is to get the bigger Co2 tank when your buying your kit. Or just tell them you don't want it, and go to a local gas shop and buck up for their larger tank. We paid around $100 for the tank and then the gas is practically free. Order up any kit and you'll be on your way to hammerville!~

You do need different extensions if you are going to be drinking guiness and bass

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many homebrewing supply shops (Internet and bricks and mortar) carry this item or can order it. Be sure that you specify that you wish one to fit an actual beer keg; many homebrew setups are designed to fit a pressurized soda pop keg, and are thus too small for a beer keg.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA