• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cauliflower

sammy

How do you all cut the 'flower so thin?

I have great issues trying to do it with a knife, I get several nice latticed pieces and a bunch of crumbs, am I doing something wrong?

You aren't doing anything wrong.

I have done it two ways. Some folks just start whacking at the whole thing. Even with my big french chef, I found that harder to do. I had better luck cutting it in half first. But, I keep going back to breaking off the florets and slicing them. Then I do the core separately. I seem to have better control that way and the pieces are more uniform. Crumbs are a good thing! They are my favorite part.

I may have posted this up-thread but I will repeat it. I have dropped the oven temperature to 375F. I line the sheet pan with a piece of foil. The new non-stick foil makes it really easy to move the stuff around. That layer of foil provides a little bit of insulation from the pan. I seem to get more crunch and more even browning. It takes a bit longer, up to 50 minutes, but I think that more water is driven off before it gets too brown and that accounts for the crunch.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I picked up a massive head of purple cauliflower and roasted it for dinner last wednesday night. Our first roast c-flower of the season -- I had forgotten how much I like it.  :smile: The color deepened during the roasting and looked very nice.  I think roasting a head of white and a head of purple and serving the two together would be great for a dinner party.

I love that dinner party idea. Only thing... I don't think I've ever seen purple cauliflower in our stores. Brocoflower, yes; I guess that might be an idea. I'll be on the lookout for purple. Thanks.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have done it two ways. Some folks just start whacking at the whole thing. Even with my big french chef, I found that harder to do. I had better luck cutting it in half first. But, I keep going back to breaking off the florets and slicing them. Then I do the core separately. I seem to have better control that way and the pieces are more uniform. Crumbs are a good thing! They are my favorite part.

I find I prefer having the pieces of more uniform size, as they brown more evenly. If I leave the big lacy pieces whole, they don't get the same depth of flavor as the smaller bits.

I may have posted this up-thread but I will repeat it. I have dropped the oven temperature to 375F. I line the sheet pan with a piece of foil. The new non-stick foil makes it really easy to move the stuff around. That layer of foil provides a little bit of insulation from the pan. I seem to get more crunch and more even browning. It takes a bit longer, up to 50 minutes, but I think that more water is driven off before it gets too brown and that accounts for the crunch.

I use plain (heavy-duty) foil, as the roll of non-stick we have isn't large enough to cover a half-sheet pan in one piece. The oven is right around 400, maybe a bit on the low side, and it takes about 40 to 50 minutes to get it as brown as we like it. And the result - savory, slightly sweet, tender, crispy.... :wub:

Last night I roasted a head of cauliflower with a red onion (sliced into narrow vertical wedges), then tossed it with rotini and some chèvre. The verdict? "You'll make a bigger batch next time, RIGHT?" :raz:

And oh, I must get some purple cauliflower. Food should be purple, whenever possible. :biggrin:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

I use plain (heavy-duty) foil, as the roll of non-stick we have isn't large enough to cover a half-sheet pan in one piece.

Odd... My roll of Reynolds just fits in the bottom of the sheet pan. But, and maybe this is what you mean, it is not wide enough to extend up over the lip. I still have to wash the pan a bit.

I second the purple food. I don't think I have seen the purple cauliflower here. I will have to check my big HEB as they are more likely to have the odd veggies.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've seen the purple cauliflower at my Farmer's market. I haven't had the urge to buy one...but I've seen 'em there.

As for slicing the cauliflower, I have a rather large Forschner knife (10") that I use to slice up the head. It makes quick work of cutting up the beasty. I have an even longer and larger Forschner sitting in a drawer in case I need to audition for a Wes Craven film. :laugh:

I tend to buy a head of cauliflower that, when cut up, is often too big for one sheet pan. But I cram it all in and then it steams instead of roasts. :angry:

I also use a foil-lined pan for easy clean up. I use regular foil and spray it with Pam. I hadn't thought of using the "Release" (non-stick) foil. I've been treating my roll of "Release" as if it's made of gold. I should probably use it more often. Thanks for the idea, fifi.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I use a Silpat instead of foil...and having used both at the same time when I had way too much cauliflower for the the Silpat, I liked the Silpat results better. Also used the convection feature on my oven which made everything crispier. God...its addictive.... its like zucchini blossoms...you just can never make enough to satisfy everyone1

Speaking of slicing it, I like to make two fairly big slices that will remain intact, maybe 3/4-inch, from the very center of the head, roast them, and then to plate dinner we put something on top of that... grilled or roasted shrimp, or a ragu, or who knows what. Vertical food presentations, what a kick!

I have seen yet a brighter light

and it is roasted cauliflower soup

now I understand

This is obscene

Roasted a head of cauliflower and garlic

Boiled potatoes in freshly made chicken stock

Pureed it all together

Added some sea salt and cream

It begs for some pepper but I don't want to loose the delicate garlic finish

So the begging continues

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

So having read all the threads about this paragon preparation of cauliflower, I finally last night decided to try it. I also made a roasted pork tenderloin and some spinach ravioli filled with 4 cheeses in a creamy tomato sauce. I put the plate in front of my husband. He eyed the cauliflower dubiously. He took a Boy Scout taste. He then ate all of it, his pork and the ravs.

Then he had a second helping -- of the cauliflower. Then he just stood at the stove and ate the remaining cauliflower off the pan.

It's the definite New Year's Eve vegetable for our annual NYE dinner party. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Served my soup to the dining companion last night. He has one of the most delicate palates of anyone I know so I wanted to see if he could figure out what he was tasting.

Got the potato right away

Slowly got the roasted garlic finish

Swore it was potato soup over and over and over

Thought it might be something Asian

Gave up and made me come clean about the cauliflower

Devoured the whole bowl :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I don't believe this has been covered yet ...

... but has anybody tried cauliflower roasted with tandoori spices? We've done "Tandoori Gobi" and "Gobi Pekoras". Adapting the "mother" recipe discussed in this thread to include tandoori spices isn't difficult, and well worth the effort. My kids like the perkoras better than fries.

A.

I tried it dusted with a Greek spice mix from Penzey's once. It was just wonderful. I think I have to go buy a cauliflower.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I bought a head of cauliflower today from the NYC Union Square Farmer's Market that was a bit bigger than a basketball. It is now roasting in my oven in two pans, when a normal-sized cauliflower fits in one. And it smells goooood.

...that was a bit bigger than a basketball.  It is now roasting in my oven in two pans, when a normal-sized cauliflower fits in one.  And it smells goooood.

Oh my! If it turns out to taste as good as normal sized and as good as it smells... I want one. Please do tell. :biggrin:

The XXL cauliflower tasted totally normal. I bought it for $3 and I am guessing it weighed close to 5 pounds. The florets felt a little firmer or more closed than they sometimes do but it still came out great.

There were also brussel sprouts on the stalk at the farmer's market. I know brussel sprouts are also roastable; has anyone ever tried peeling and roasting the stalk?

<swoon> roasted cauliflower for dinner last night. i've been playing with cooking times & techniques. i have a convection oven, which i've recently had the nerve to play around with. i think the original heat is a little high (or my oven runs hot) and usually bake at 350. I've found that I love the convection - but at even lower temps. 350 with convection is too hot...so i like 350 (regular roast) or 300 convection for about 40 minutes or so. i added some red onion - a la fifi and cut it a little too small. next time - slightly larger pieces...maybe an inch and i'll be in heaven.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I finally made roasted cauliflower for the first time the other night and it was good, but I had a problem. I have a single oven and wanted to make roasted cauliflower and a 4 lb. roasted chicken (it was a cold night, I was in the mood to roast). So I figured, better to make the cauliflower first and reheat. I cooked it 350 for about 50 mins. which nicely crisped the floret and turned the little pieces dark brown. perfect. pulled it out, put a piece of itn foil over it (mainly so I wouldn't eat it all while the bird was cooking) and boosted the heat in the oven and stuck in the chicken. The chicken took about an hour and 15 minutes and when I pulled it out, I popped the cauliflower back in to warm it back up again. But when I peaked in like 3 or 4 minutes later, ALL the pieces had crisped up so much they were blackening. I pulled it out fast and we were able to salvage some of it (still good, even when charred) but I want to know how to prperly reheat this stuff.

Should I undercook it and then finish it off after the chicken? Or wait til the oven cools more? Or does anyone have any experience sticking the cauliflower in the microwave for a minute? Thanks!

Should I undercook it and then finish it off after the chicken? Or wait til the oven cools more? Or does anyone have any experience sticking the cauliflower in the microwave for a minute? Thanks!

Undercooking works for me. When I'm planning to use it on a pizza later, I'll pull it out 10 or 15 minutes short of what I'd usually consider "done". The first time I tried it, I didn't do this, and we had blackened bits on top of the pizza. (Still fairly tasty, but not terribly attractive.)

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

The XXL cauliflower tasted totally normal.  I bought it for $3 and I am guessing it weighed close to 5 pounds.  The florets felt a little firmer or more closed than they sometimes do but it still came out great.

There were also brussel sprouts on the stalk at the farmer's market.  I know brussel sprouts are also roastable; has anyone ever tried peeling and roasting the stalk?

Have not tried peeling and roasting the stalk, but when I grew sprouts (when I lived in the Valley) I hated to waste all that vegetable. I peeled the stalk, cut it into quarters, lengthwise then sliced it and made it into pickles using my bread and butter, extra spicy pickling method. Excellent just plain and also combined with other vegetables for mixed pickles, also spicy and with the addition of mustard.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

When I'm planning to use it on a pizza later...

Oh my, on a pizza! Yes! Now that's something else I want to do. Somebody, up thread I think, mentioned roasted cauliflower with pasta, and I've been wanting to try that ever since. So many good things to eat, so little time....

I was making macaroni and cheese and had an inspired topping idea. Took some leftover blanched cauliflower (can't eat it roasted every time), and gave it a quick whirl in the food processor along with a little bit of the grated cheese for the sauce and a bit of olive oil, and used that as the topping for the casserole. Bake until the mac & cheese is bubbly and the cauliflower is browned. You wouldn't even know it was cauliflower. I wouldn't use already roasted cauliflower -- too brown -- or raw, as it may get watery when cooking.

In the dinner thread, I mentioned that roasted cauliflower and stock-simmered lentils are a great match - textural contrast, similar nuttiness. Stir in some carmelized onion to play up the sweetness of the cauliflower, and have a good old eGullet time.

I've always liked cauliflower, but this thread and the lure of "tastes like French fries" prompted me to jump on the roasted cauliflower bandwagon. I bought a few heads earlier this week and have been going to town. French fries? Well, no. I didn't find the roasted cauliflower anything like French fries, but it's good in its own right.

Tonight I tried a variation that is definitely worth sharing -- Roasted Sesame Cauliflower. It's the basic recipe, coated with a rich sesame glaze which caramelizes nicely along with the cauliflower. Here's the recipe. You can play with little or more of the amount of glaze -- I used the full amount of this recipe for half a head, but think that you could probably use this same amount for a whole head. But to be safe, you may want to double.

Also, this recipe does contain orange juice concentrate, but you don't taste much (if any) orange.

Roasted Sesame Cauliflower

1/2 to 1 head cauliflower

2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger (or more)

1/4 (or WAY more) red pepper flakes

1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds (I use the roasted kind)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with no-stick spray

2. Carefully slice cauliflower into quarter inch thick slices. Florets will fall off, lumpy slices are okay. Adds character. Just make sure you get a few flat ones.

3. Put cauliflower in a big bowl

4. In a large, no-stick saucepan, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for about 2 minutes or until water evaporates and mixture looks thicker.

5. Pour thick sesame mixture over cauliflower and toss to coat.

6. Lay cauliflower on prepared pan and sprinkle with sesame seeds

7. Bake for about 25 minutes, stopping halfway to stir and turn a bit.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to resurrect this thread and say what an enormous hit roasted cauliflower is with my 3 1/2-year-old son. Dipping it in ketchup is his favourite thing ever; he ate about 1/3 of an enormous head of cauliflower this evening and asked if there was any more. Needless to say, there were absolutely no leftovers between the three of us.

Although he already likes broccoli, we'll have to try it prepped this way soon. Heck, I could even become a brussels sprout convert. You never now.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg