• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cauliflower

sammy

The poaching/blanching of the whole head could be carried out before slicing and roasting as per the "original" recipe for a shorter cooking time in the oven, although it will probably yield a slightly different texture.

I've tried it and it's not nearly as good. The only thing going for that method is that it slices very nicely (you can make roasted sliced brain. :shock: )

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Has anyone tried slicing the raw florets on a mandoline for ultra thin and crispy results? You could even deep fry them.

:wub: cauliflower crisps!

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

I interviewed British chef Andrew Turner for eGullet recently

Andy, have you tried Heston Blumenthal's various takes on cauliflower? There are several articles in The Guardian/Observer (one of which is by eGulleter Jay Rayner)

Guardian

Guardian

Observer

Never having been particularly enamoured of cauliflower myself, I've long meant to try his recipes (or better - his cooking). This thread (the first I've posted to BTW) is the kick up the proverbial to buy and try the stuff.

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Andy, have you tried Heston Blumenthal's various takes on cauliflower? There are several articles in The Guardian/Observer (one of which is by eGulleter Jay Rayner)

Bainesy - congratulations on your first post - look forward to many more.

No, I haven't tried those recipes, but I particularly like the sound of the risotto. I'll definately give that a go.

Should this be crispy/moist like a french fry? I prepared this and it had a distinct limp texture.... Cooked it for about 35 minutes (which was required to reach the deep golden brown color).

Is there a particularly good way to slice the cauliflower? Mine was quite crumbly and tended to fall about into mini-florets as I sliced...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 1 month later...

I concur. Roasting offers a different way to taste the usual suspects. Besides cauliflower, I've roasted beets and I've done carrots with dill which were very good.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Someone brought some roasted brussels sprouts to a party we were at and they were also terrific, but...cauliflower is still my fave. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Should this be crispy/moist like a french fry? I prepared this and it had a distinct limp texture.... Cooked it for about 35 minutes (which was required to reach the deep golden brown color).

Is there a particularly good way to slice the cauliflower? Mine was quite crumbly and tended to fall about into mini-florets as I sliced...

Try roasting the cauliflower longer than 35 minutes. You'll get more 'carmelized' parts. I don't think you'll ever achieve the fried crunch of a french fry, but this is just as addicitive. In my house, the crumbled up parts disappear as quickly as the nice slices. Extra sharp knives help alot.

• 3 months later...

I don't remember if I reported this and I am too lazy to go look.

Anyway... I have taken to lining a half sheet pan with the new non-stick foil, non-stick side up. I have also dropped the temp to 375F. A couple of things happen, the stuff seems to toast more evenly and get crispier. It is also easier to move around for more even browning. It does take longer, about 50 minutes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm so happy to see this thread back at the top :smile:

Since the cauliflower from my local farmer's market is so outstanding, I've been making this throughout the relatively cool summer we've had. My last batch also included some 'poker chips' of carrot (also from the local fm), which I turned out on my V-slicer :shock:

I've also experimented with the cooking method and find that in my oven, if I do the last 10 minutes at 410 F on convection, the result is wonderfully crispy. I've also done this now with canned garbanzo beans, but they don't need to be added until there's only about 30 minutes of cooking left. Yum!

=R=

No convection oven for me... yet. :wink: I would bet that it does an outstanding job. How were the carrot chips?

I agree... last time I added the garbanzos I waited until the last half hour or so.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ooooooooohhhhh. 

Can I come over?

It's already gone :sad:

I used a lower oven (350) and cut the slices fairly thin. I think it took about an hour and was completely sublime. I forgot the garlic but sea salt at the end was a nice addition. I am thinking that in a month or so this will make a great soup. :hmmm:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

How were the carrot chips?

The carrot was excellent. I'd seen, in a previous post here, that Jason and Rachel had done this some time back and it looked great. I actually used carrot in this dish last Thanksgiving, but at that time, I sliced them all by hand--which was quite time-consuming. This time out, they were nicely sweet and most of the chips were fairly crispy without being dried out or burnt. The V-slicer turns out only 2 possible thickenesses. Experimenting, I went with the thicker of the 2 and the carrot seemed to cook at almost the same rate as the cauliflower.

=R=

I will tell you what I do which is pretty much how the original is with a few twists.

Slice the cauliflower in less than 1/4 inch slices, more like an eighth. Some folks just go to work on the whole thing. I usually separate the florets, slice those, and slice the core separately. It doesn't matter really.

In a bowl, toss the cauliflower slices and all of the little bits with about a 1/4 cup olive oil and a little Kosher salt. Don't salt heavily as this cooks down a lot.

I line a half sheet heavy aluminum baking pan with the non-stick foil. Spread the cauliflower evenly onto the sheet keeping it in a single layer. Into the oven at 375F for about 25 minutes. Turn the pieces and move it around if it is not baking evenly. Back in the oven for about another 25 minutes. Done. Munch.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Wow...9 pages of cauliflower! :wacko:

My wife and I absolutely love cooking cauliflower this way. Both of us hadn't eaten it for years and years because the only way both of our parents cooked it was steaming or boiling until mush. :sad:

Now, we can't get enough! $0.99 a head in San Diego!

We do a cauliflower pasta that works out great. Just roast the cauliflower on some aluminum foil and "deglaze" the foil using water or chicken broth after cooking. Brown some garlic in a pan with olive oil, add cauliflower and pasta, and thin sauce as necessary with the "deglaze" broth.

Sometimes we'll top with a over-easy fried egg...

Yum :wub:

• Like 1

I recall that in college, I read a magazine article which said that a certain supermodel regularly consumed a whole, roasted head of cauliflower -- and nothing else -- for dinner.

Since I had my first off-campus apartment, complete with grubby kitchen, I thought eating a cauliflower dinner would be a great way to look like a supermodel on my limited college-student budget. So I put an unadorned cauliflower in a pan, turned on the oven, and left it there for about an hour.

It was awful. I couldn't eat the whole thing, and I did not look one bit more like a supermodel.  :angry:

Boy do I wish I'd had some of these recipes on hand....

I had a similar college cauliflower experience. I was doing a costuming internship once summer. I was a theater major, a vegetarian, and flat broke. I would melt butter with some store-bought curry powder, pour it over a head of cauliflower, and roast it for dinner. I ate that quite a bit in those days, but haven't done it for probably 15 years. Never did the supermodel thing for me, either.

• 2 weeks later...

Another testimonial to the power of roasted cauliflower -- I made a batch as part of dinner last night (my 2nd batch; the first one I ate all by myself). My husband, a serious veggie-phobe, had agreed somewhat dubiously to try it, but I could tell he wan't expecting to like it. He snagged a piece from the baking pan while I was dishing up the rest of dinner, chewed thoughtfully, and said (as he reached for another piece), "Damn, I'll eat roasted cauliflower in a heartbeat!"

Hurray! One more vegetable added to the list of veg I can count on him actually enjoying, which until now has pretty much been onions, garlic, mushrooms, and collard greens. :hmmm: Definite progress. :smile:

And now I'm going back through the thread copying down ideas for what to do with it on the occasions we can resist devouring it right when it comes out of the oven. Soup? Pasta? Butter-curry sauce? Mmmmm.... :wub:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

We had roasted cauliflower tonight! We sliced and roasted a whole head and the two of us ate it all. Waiting for the other stuff to get done, it cooked longer than usual, and I think it was the best batch yet (tossed in EVOO and melted butter and S&P).

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I tried this for the first time the other night and guess what? I have been told that it is now to become a regular item in our meals. I was truley surprised by the depth of flavor it was great.

Cheers

Larry

"My gastronomic perspicacity knows no satiety." - Homer

I picked up a massive head of purple cauliflower and roasted it for dinner last wednesday night. Our first roast c-flower of the season -- I had forgotten how much I like it. :smile: The color deepened during the roasting and looked very nice. I think roasting a head of white and a head of purple and serving the two together would be great for a dinner party.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How do you all cut the 'flower so thin?

I have great issues trying to do it with a knife, I get several nice latticed pieces and a bunch of crumbs, am I doing something wrong?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide