• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato

Episure

We all grew up with it and got out of it....you all have, havent you!

I'm grown up and there is no way I'll touch the stuff again, unless......

Ok, okay, stop the beatings, I admit it... I cant help it... I absolutely must have Tomato sauce when I'm breakfasting on an Omelette. Sniff, now that it is out of my system I feel much better, thank you.

Okay, all you guys stand up and confess.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I am an army brat and we put tomatoe sauce/ ketchup into EVERYTHING.

omlettes of course but

ketchup sandwiches growing up

dal is not good, add some ketchup

want to add a little zing to the raita, add some ketcup

whats with the pakoras ketchup or tomato sauce of course

Growing up, in my family tomato sauce/ ketchup reigned supreme ( followed perhaps by cans of baked beans, kraft cheese etc.)

During the season when tomatoes were cheap, all the womens clubs would be making and bottling tomato sauce.

After that post, are you sure you are grown up Episure?

I suspect you will be eighty, toothless and still reaching for that bottle to take your porridge up a notch or two.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

We all grew up with it and got out of it....you all have, havent you!

I'm grown up and there is no way I'll touch the stuff again, unless......

Ok, okay, stop the beatings, I admit it... I cant help it... I absolutely must have Tomato sauce when I'm breakfasting on an Omelette. Sniff, now that it is out of my system I feel much better, thank you.

Back in 1986 arrived in US and I was in New York City with a local cousin.

Ordered a cheese pizza and I was shocked to see he size of the pizza.

Anyway I asked where is the KETSSUP for the pizza !!!!! My cousin and the counter sales person looked at me and went like YAKKK.......

Now I am very careful when I eat my food with KETCHUP.... You know why....

episure,

my sister and i used to eat butter and tomato ketchup sandwiches (on white bread)--quite the incipient gourmets we were. i am a big fan of ketchup though i don't cook much with it. by the way, i have a great recipe for a quick chicken curry involving a mixture of yoghurt and ketchup--sounds gross but is great--is from an aunt who is an amazing cook, so it figures. if people won't throw tomatoes at me i'll even post it here.

which brand of tomato sauce was that ad in the 80s for again? "ketchup hota kaddu bhara"

and with all the brands of ketchup in the u.s, and given the pride of place of ketchup in the american kitchen, it is surprising that there is nothing here that can compare with maggi india's hot and sweet tomato sauce or their chilli-garlic sauce. of course it goes without saying that there is no chilli sauce here that can compare with the green chilli sauces from cal.

mongo

I still like ketchup sandwiches and ketcup on toast..............

and I'm not even Indian

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

After that post, are you sure you are grown up Episure?

I suspect you will be eighty, toothless and still reaching for that bottle to take your porridge up a notch or two.

Nah, it's only when I'm alone with a green chilli+onion omelette that I'll crave it. I have a reputation as a gourmet to protect, you know.

When I'm eighty and toothless I hope I'm still allowed my single malt whisky and some of the other worldly pleasures.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Nah, it's only when I'm alone with a green chilli+onion omelette that I'll crave it. ......

Only in the dining-car of the trains; or the realy big omellete at the Railway's F/Class Waiting Room service .... oh those old memories..... :biggrin:

anil

This does not exclude Monica, Rajsuman and all the other ladies here.

Sorry.

No need to be sorry, I don't like ketchup at all. My husband and son are great fans so we always have an industrial-sized bottle at home. I cook some of those Indo-chinese dishes with it but I won't eat it as an accompaniment. Gimme chilli sauce/mint chutney/tabasco any day, but please NO ketchup! BTW, I absolutely love tomatoes in everything I eat, I don't know why I don't like ketchup. Perhaps it's too sweet for me. I'm not a great fan of imli ki chutney either.

Suman

ketchup sandwiches of course, with or without finger chips, [our french fries]!!! and on fried eggs!!

with Cheese pakoras, a sort of Goujere [spelling pls] I haven't tasted in US

ketchup fried rice; the Japanese do it too, one hears: omo raisu, chikin raisu?

mongo: your ketchup chicken curry, does it go something like this: skinned chicken drums cut up; in hot oil garam masala of whole cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, sliced onions, gently brown, add meat and stir till slightly golden color; a little fresh ginger/garlic or not; mix 1 package dry onion soup, yogurt, ketchup, add to chicken; stir, add water/stock, potatoes, cook till done? Had it at a friend's house; was tasty

Talking about ketchup does anyone like the banana ketchup from Philipines, the difference in taste is marginal, also known in Indonesia as Ketjap spelling ??

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

ketchup sandwiches of course, with or without finger chips, [our french fries]!!! and on fried eggs!!

with Cheese pakoras, a sort of Goujere [spelling pls] I haven't tasted in US

ketchup fried rice; the Japanese do it too, one hears: omo raisu, chikin raisu?

mongo: your ketchup chicken curry, does it go something like this: skinned chicken drums cut up; in hot oil garam masala of whole cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, sliced onions, gently brown, add meat and stir till slightly golden color; a little fresh ginger/garlic or not; mix 1 package dry onion soup, yogurt, ketchup, add to chicken; stir, add water/stock, potatoes, cook till done? Had it at a friend's house; was tasty

gautam,

it is an even simpler recipe than that--comes out delicious.

mongo

mongo: would you share the recipe, please ? [at your convenience] BTW, have you tried the krean mustard oil? it is the most pungent, and has many of the correct 'high' notes not found in most US types, though it lacks the 'bass' tons and a textural unctuousness, if there is such a word-combined with the latter type, the korean oil would seem to come closest to the Bengali: pungency cum texture. Any insights?

Nah, it's only when I'm alone with a green chilli+onion omelette that I'll crave it. ......

Only in the dining-car of the trains; or the realy big omellete at the Railway's F/Class Waiting Room service .... oh those old memories..... :biggrin:

It's a small small world. I was a student back in 1981 - 1984 in Pune (HMCT). My favorite breakfast was in Pune station with big omelettes for lot less money. I think it was the best kept secret.

Yess, the ketchup was the key ingredient to enhance.......

BTW a small confession....

a) Gobi manchurian has a little bit of ketchcup

b) Kadai veg/paneer/murgh ...... with a touch of ketchup always tastes great :raz::raz::raz:

• 2 weeks later...