• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dog-friendly in philadelphia

alkonin

Neutering is the way to go, my guy, Arlo by name, was snipped at a young age and never started the leg lifting deal. He on rarest of occasion will do it if we are going for a walk and he wants to mark something. But in our yard he never does. Our vet always tells us that when she has young guys bring there dogs in that they are squemish about them being neutered. She tells me that on this occasion she tells the owners " I want his, not yours"

I agree with everyone about pugs being cool dogs, we are big dog people, Arlo is a Boxer and we also have Sophie the Bernese Moutain Dog, if I ever got a little dog it would be a pug.

And as much as I love both of them I would not take them to a restaurant.

I don't know if you have decided where to get your dog, but a Pug Rescue group is the way to go. These are absolute purebreed dogs, who have been abused, abandoned, or otherwise mistreated. This is a wonderful chance to save a life, and get the breed you are looking for. In Philly, call:

Delaware Valley Pug Club Rescue

Jamie Swanson

1131 Dunton Street

Philadelphia, PA 19123

Phone : (215) 423-4471

Also, neutering is the only way to go. We can't project human sexual emotions on dogs. To them, it is strictly instinct. They will lead a much happier life if they are neutered, and you should do it very young. Good luck!

well, i think we'd prefer a girl, to elimainate the risk of leg-lifting.  some more options are:

edna

dottie

ramona

lenora

Leg-lifting isn't really a huge problem, especially if neutered before they start (although Cha-Siu did finally learn how to pee like a boy after three years). Interestingly, in general male pugs are a bit friendlier and more docile than females. Female pugs can be bossy (mostly to other dogs), but that's just part of their charm. Either way, you will be hooked for life.

Dottie is an awesome name. I had a pug-like neighbor in the 1960s named Dottie. Viv (or Vi) seems like a good retro-ish name, too. Chet or Art works for a boy.

Besides all of the fantastic restaurants in Chicago, here's another reason to visit: www.pugparty.com.

We even have some very nice and pet-friendly hotels (even doggie room service)--Hotel Monaco, for instance.

thanks for the leg-lifting/neutering advice. my parents have 2 male maltese that were neutered, but still lift their legs constantly. i guess that's what my hang up was with that. maybe they weren't neutered young enough. anyway, we're going to pick out the puppy on sunday.