• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Ricotta

misgabi

I have some excellent fresh ricotta that I purchased at the farmers market on the weekend.

I am looking for some ideas as to what I can do with it.

I had an idea in my mind for a cheese danish - we used to get this fabulous one from the french bakery when I was younger - it was a "family size" one that we used to slice with sultanas in it and surrounded by puff pastry. I seem to remember it had a vague almond taste. Any ideas???

Also any ideas for any other ricotta recipes would be appreciated.

I have some excellent fresh ricotta that I purchased at the farmers market on the weekend.

I am looking for some ideas as to what I can do with it.

I had an idea in my mind for a cheese danish - we used to get this fabulous one from the french bakery when I was younger - it was a "family size" one that we used to slice with sultanas in it and surrounded by puff pastry. I seem to remember it had a vague almond taste. Any ideas???

Also any ideas for any other ricotta recipes would be appreciated.

Ricotta and spinach gnocchi

Mash it up with sugar and a bit of cinnamon and eat it with a spoon.

with toasted pine nuts, fresh herbs, a few chopped tomatoes (or reconstituted sundried if no flavoursome ones around) and EVOO over pasta

the Maltese make pastizzi, which are basically the cheese equivalent of heroin. amazingly buttery filo type (but not quite filo) pastry, twisted round a chunk of soft salty ricotta - nothing more added. the pastry splits sometimes at the top to let the cheese ooze out. sigh.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Mix it with Bacon and chives and eat with boiled eggs. Or bread. Or use as a dip.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Stuffed shells are always delicious.

I sometimes use canolli style cream (ricotta and powedered sugar, pistachios, chocolate etc...) as a topping. Might be very good in a danish or I love it just spread on crusty bread.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

the Maltese make pastizzi, which are basically the cheese equivalent of heroin. amazingly buttery filo type (but not quite filo) pastry, twisted round a chunk of soft salty ricotta - nothing more added. the pastry splits sometimes at the top to let the cheese ooze out. sigh.

Fi

I'm all weak in the knees over this one.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

OOooh Msgabi

I am hanging out to eat ricotta again (am currently "in the pudding club") - let me think about all the things I have been avoiding b/c once I start eating it...there will be no stopping.

tomato and ricotta sandwiches

ricotta cheesecake (really light & fluffy)

ricotta on roast potatoes with chilli beans or chilli meat or fresh chillies

ricotta with rosewater syrup

yum

maliaty