• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you eat dessert in a restaurant?

Bux

Come on everyone!!!! Asian desserts are wonderful!

Black sticky rice puddings beat the pants off souffles any day. It all gets back to what we have talked about on many other threads. It is what you are raised to enjoy. Asian desserts have complex flavour interactions and you need to spend some time to understand them.

I have just tried a dessert on a street corner in Bangkok. It was one of the most complete flavour combinations I have ever experienced! A crisp pancake, cooked with almost religious devotion, rolled up like a taco and filled with sweet coconut cream and green mango. Absolutely delicious!

This discussion reminds me of an argument I had recently with a 'Europhile' who maintained that German music was the highest expression of civilization. When I asked him about his appreciation of Indian Ragas, he dismissed them without even knowing what they were!

I am going to make him listen to some - over and over again!

We so often forget that India and China (and Africa) had (and have) incredibly advanced civilizations when France, Germany and England were still living in bogs!

Now how did I transform a discussion on desserts into that diatribe?  

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

• 16 years later...
2 hours ago, royal123 said:

Humans start eating sweet things at the end of meals.

Where? Many humans don't eat sweet things at the end of meals. Some, like me never eat dessert at all. Here in China, sweet things can turn up at any point in the meal.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the rest of your post.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have an anti-sweet tooth. It's very rare that I eat dessert, in a restaurant or otherwise. A lot of times, my wife and daughter will split one and, if available, I'll have an espresso. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Rarely. Not because I don't want dessert, but because more often than not they're not particularly good. If I'm out with friends we usually go back to my place for a dessert I've made, often by request. But I tend to go out to particular places I want to try for coffee and cake/pastry much more often than I'll go out for dinner. 

Separate but connected: many people do not consider cake to be dessert. Cake is cake. Dessert is a separate thing. I think of them all as dessert, but I do kinda like the idea of having dessert and then having a piece of cake. :)

• Like 3

Yes, especially since we don't go out very often. Certain restaurants I know have desserts that I like. Others not so much. I like to encourage my husband to have something even if I don't want anything; he needs the calories and we don't generally eat dessert at home other than a piece of chocolate and an evening whisky. He's very frugal and denies himself when there's no good reason to do so. I will usually have a couple nibbles of whatever he gets if it looks good. I often like to wait after a meal to have a dessert, especially if it is something like cake or pie, so typically at a restaurant a few of bites of something will be all I really want. 

I don't eat much dairy and very little cheese now, but I've never liked cheese after a meal. As an app with drinks or as a small meal along with some fruit, but not as a dessert. My dad, however, did. He liked to follow a nice steak dinner with a wedge of camembert. He wasn't a healthy eater, needless to say.

We eat light in the evenings, but sometimes I will ask for a dessert, para llevar (to go) if I think it will carry well.  I like something sweet with my morning coffee.  So far our dessert prices, even at fancier gringo-oriented places, have remained fair.  In the US I rarely get a restaurant dessert (to go, or to eat in) as prices continue to climb.  No way I'll pay 8 to 10 bucks for a slice of cake or fruit tart.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, liuzhou said:

Where? Many humans don't eat sweet things at the end of meals. Some, like me never eat dessert at all. Here in China, sweet things can turn up at any point in the meal.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the rest of your post.

I was sharing the information that it is beneficial to take sweet dish sometimes.

Normally, I won't order dessert out. There's a mom and pop pizza joint where the owner's mom makes good tiramisu when she feels like it. If she has felt like it, I order the tiramisu. Mmmm .... Better yet, this place delivers, so I have had tiramisu brought to my doorstep. Can't beat it.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I'd say we order dessert at our regular places like 25% of the time. But at special places we go to once every couple of months, every time; these are places with dedicated pastry chefs, so why not see and taste what they're doing?  

When we have dinner parties, I tend to follow the mains with a cheese course, and then dessert.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Agree, if I am going to indulge, it has to be worth it. Something made in house, not just a reheated brownie with a scoop of mediocre ice cream on top.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde