• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

home-made shami kababs

mongo_jones

This is my version:

Shami ka baap

Cook in little water till dry:

1/2 kg Mutton keema

1 cup soaked chana dal

1 pc star anise/badian/chakriphool

1 tbsp garam masala

1 tbsp ginger paste

salt to taste

Cool, discard star anise and grind to a fine paste, then add:

1 cup finely chopped onion

1 tsp ajwain

1 tbsp chopped garlic

chopped green chillis

lots of chopped mint leaves

1 beaten egg

adjust the salt

Shape into balls the size of a golf ball, flatten and shallow fry till brown. If you have used lean meat this is where you can trade off by using Ghee. :rolleyes:

The classic recipe calls for the kababs to be dipped in the egg and then fried. All this does is to soak up a lot of oil and is functionally redundant. :wacko:

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

thanks a lot episure--i am going to sin and try making it with ground dark turkey meat. by the way, i am amused to see the effect bhasin has had on you: while you note your reservations about the classic egg step you nevertheless don't omit it from the recipe!

The egg is still there as a binder in addition to the chana dal but I've stopped it from sponging up the oil. As a matter of fact this way the kababs come out crisp ( like aloo tikki ) as the meat patty can take more heat than the egg covering. Green chilli, garlic and mint leaves lose their zing with heat so I've shifted them to the second stage - this is what they don't teach you in Catering school. Otherwise this is not straying too much from the mainstream.

I'm quite curious to know the outcome of a Turkey Shami kabab. That's a new one on me. Make sure you grind it into a fine paste otherwise it wil get burgered. :biggrin:

Bhasin is typical of my Punjabi friends, they live life king size and have hearts to match. Like a Texan. :smile:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I'm quite curious to know the outcome of a Turkey Shami kabab. That's a new one on me. Make sure you grind it into a fine paste otherwise it wil get burgered. :biggrin: smile:

will report once the deed is done--won't be for a week or so (need to work through a lot of other stuff in the freezer first).

Dear Mongo,

Re shami kebab: much as Episure advises, but with some differences, including a herbal center:

Lean poultry/mutton

Soaked chana dal [vary dal and meat proportions in later expts to com up with your own preference]

Chopped onions

Ditto small amount fresh ginger

Bare Hint of garlic, a small clove?

Whole peppercorn ~5-6, a small piece cinnamon, cloves 1-3, green cardamom 1-3, cassia leaf; a little salt

Boil with scant water until dal just cooked through but still very firm, not a hint of mushiness, and just enough liquid left to facilitate processing to fine, silky texture but not tacky dough (=overprocessing) [remove cassia leaf but include whole spices]

Bind with beaten egg or fold in whipped egg whites ; mixture must be fairly soft but not too sticky

Prepare filling: a few tablespoons of finely minced red onion, thai chillies to taste, minced mint, pinch salt, moisten with lime juice

Make balls size of large lime; indent deeply with thumb and insert ¼-1/2 teaspoon of onion filling [depending on size of ball and your preference], pinch shut, roll in palm to seal seam, carefully flatten

Roll in flour, coating lightly, chill if you want, pan- fry if you prefer in scant film of oil in cast iron pan, making sure center is heated through

Serve with non-greasy parathas or oven-warmed pita, finely sliced red/white onions soaked in cold water and drained, torn lettuce tossed with lime juice, creamy whipped yoghurt

By varying filling [combinations of a-f, and beyond: kimchee???!!; be judicious, esp. about quantities] you could devise various navratan-type kebabs:

a) Cream cheese + sour cream/crème fraiche, whipped light

b) Minced scallions + mint

c) Fresh pomegranate

d) Fresh orange + grapefruit/pumelo segments carefully separated into small clumps of juice vesicles; fresh pineapple???

e) Lemon zest [grated rind]

f) Currants [dried Corinth grapes], chopped nuts, chopped dry fruit: apricot, apple, pear, soaked in orange+ lemon [or sour orange] juice.

Happy Thanksgiving to all friends at egullet.