• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Range Hoods & Vents

fresco

Dumb question: is it totally out of the question to put a hood over a window?

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be feasible. I think that putting a stove under a window in the first place is what's unusual. That said, does your lab hood have grease filters? I have a feeling that it may not be designed for cooking exhaust...

p.s. how about a show-and-tell forum on kitchen renovations?

Julie, there have been several! Click for Varmint's renovation thread, or here or even here for one of the Brooklyn renovation threads, or here for theresa's reno blog.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

. . . the lab hood has slots for the grease filters, I just have to buy a new pair. The markings on it say:

C.F.M.

at .10 WG

460 Vertical

440 Horiz

what the heck does the vertical/horizontal thing mean, I wonder?

At any rate, the Maximum Suck article leads me to believe this is pretty good!!

thx-

Jj

what the heck does the vertical/horizontal thing mean, I wonder?

At any rate, the Maximum Suck article leads me to believe this is pretty good!!

Could it be that your hood can be ducted out it's back(horizontal) or up through the top (vertical), and your choice would affect the CFMs slightly? Anyhow, yes, it sounds good.

Could it be that your hood can be ducted out it's back(horizontal) or up through the top (vertical), and your choice would affect the CFMs slightly?  Anyhow, yes, it sounds good.

duh, yeah!

that's exactly what it is. When I was cleaning it, I noticed the punchout for ducting horizontally. Thanks!!

Edited by julski (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a 36'/ 6 burner gas range; Premier Pro Series Model P36S318P

Waiting for delivery (local appliance dealer, a good one). I must say I haggled with him a bit about the price, claiming I could get it converted natural to propane, delivered for less what he said the price was. He came down, I got it for $ 1215.

Advise from him about a hood, he sold me a Zephyr Hurricane, which has two 695 CFM blowers. I am able of venting straight up, but only 2 feet into the attic, and then 90' right plus 8 feet out the wall. The Hood came to $ 549.

Since I have no cabinets above the range and counter on this 6.5' wall I will have to 'home-decorate' the duct above the hood myself (wife?). Cabinets on both sides of the range, a 12" and a 24" exist and will get new countertop, and the wall will be tiled. About the noise, I heard the hood fans running in the strore, and they are more quiet than my current JennAir downdraft.

Will inform more, maybe with a picture when all the work is done.

I have personally had the great pleasure of visiting Peter's kitchen. The shining attraction is his Premier Gas Range...most impressive! Propane is the way to go, since temp control remains vital to a meal's final outcome. Peter has given considerable thought to the planning of this room. It shows! We're dealing with a masterpiece here. Coupled with this very gifted man's expertise, some of the best dishes in Maine should be generated in that locale.

Dr. Paul N. Gervais

• 4 weeks later...
I just bought a 36'/ 6 burner gas range; Premier Pro Series Model P36S318P

Waiting for delivery (local appliance dealer, a good one). I must say I haggled with him a bit about the price, claiming I could get it converted natural to propane, delivered for less what he said the price was. He came down, I got it for $ 1215.

Advise from him about a hood, he sold me a Zephyr Hurricane, which has two 695 CFM blowers. I am able of venting straight up, but only 2 feet into the attic, and then 90' right plus 8 feet out the wall. The Hood came to $ 549.

Since I have no cabinets above the range and counter on this 6.5' wall I will have to 'home-decorate' the duct above the hood myself (wife?). Cabinets on both sides of the range, a 12" and a 24" exist and will get new countertop, and the wall will be tiled. About the noise, I heard the hood fans running in the strore, and they are more quiet than my current JennAir downdraft.

Will inform more, maybe with a picture when all the work is done.

Peter...

Posting a picture or two would be wonderful!

You have well planned layout.

Paul

Dr. Paul N. Gervais

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget, also, to read Dave Scantland's Maximum Suck essay from The Daily Gullet. It's an excellent primer on ventilation. Improving your hood may not do much if you don't have good ductwork and all the other fundamentals in place.

I can not seem to find that article, the link sends me to the front page. Any chance I could get a link the the Suck article?

Don't forget, also, to read Dave Scantland's Maximum Suck essay from The Daily Gullet. It's an excellent primer on ventilation. Improving your hood may not do much if you don't have good ductwork and all the other fundamentals in place.

I can not seem to find that article, the link sends me to the front page. Any chance I could get a link the the Suck article?

Correct link here: http://www.egullet.org/tdg.cgi?pg=ARTICLE-davevent

(found by typing 'maximum suck' into that little Google Search box at the top of the page)

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 1 year later...
As I type, two nice fellows are installing a Broan Allure range hood. It looks real purdy, but performance feedback will have to wait a while.

Do report back, Chris. The only thing we didn't replace in our kitchen when we moved in was a crappy old Whirlpool hood (faded harvest gold, no less) that serves as nothing more than a light above the stove, unless you count the fact that the fan is not over any of the burners and does a very nice job of sort of "blowing" the stuff into the room. Since we never did anything for ourselves for our 25th anniversary other than go to the ER with a child, I'm thinking it's about time for a new hood.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Initial impressions:

gallery_19804_437_727385.jpg

gallery_19804_437_89313.jpg

gallery_19804_437_408000.jpg

So far, it's been performing as well as it looks. I really like the three settings for both the fan and the lights, and at the first two settings the fan really is remarkably quiet. Setting three brings up the volume a bit, but not to a roar -- and, honestly, if I'm doing something that requires that setting, it's probably making plenty of noise on its own.

We've already noticed a difference in food odors on our second floor, I'll add, and the dishwasher-ready screens seem great. I think it's a swell addition.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would throw this in to this discussion.

I have a Vikiing 42" Wall Hood that I just had serviced. After less than a year it started making a terrible rattling noise. Turns out that the damper just above the blower had become stuck. One side stayed up and open and the other side was stuck down which is what was rattling. The reason was food grease had gummed up the hinge between the two damper flaps. Now I don't do a lot of frying inside and I have done a steaks, chicken, fish and hamburgers that can give off some grease when cooking but clean my baffles every week or right after cooking where there is significant oil splatter. You have to completely remove the blower to get to the damper. No easy task. Seems like there should be a better system in place where there is know to be grease production. Anyone else had this problem with a pro style hood? The service tech said it was real common with all brands. Hard to believe.

I put this GE Profile hood in over my new DCS stove in August.

gallery_16509_1680_975546.jpg

I would have preferred something with a bit more suck value (600 cfm), but so far it's performed nicely.

Ignore the missing base cabinet to the right of the stove. Simply a casualty of replacing a 30" electric drop in range with the 36" DCS. I've got the replacement installed now, I'm just too lazy to take new photos.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I've ended up in a temporary rental due to a job relocation. Unfortunately, the hood in the kitchen is non-vented. Does anyone have any suggestions for air filtration when you have a non-vented hood? I was thinking of putting an Air Washer or similar ontop of cabinets, but wondered if it wold really make a difference. I'd imagine that there are a number of people dealing with non-venting hoods in large older building etc. Anyone?

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

We are getting a 36 inch 6 burner all gas Wolf range. We went to look at hoods last night and were presented with two options : the Wolf hood with either a 600 or 900 cfm blower. Or a hood made by Best, with a 600 cfm blower. Evidently the only options for that hood are the 600 or a 1200cfm blower, and the salesguy thought the latter would be overkill. He said he thinks 600cfm would be fine for us.

I think both hoods are fine lookswise, but the Wolf is significantly more expensive. So my question is : Would the Best hood with the 600cfm blower truly be enough for a 6 burner range? And is the quality of this brand OK?

Depends of what's after the hood.

If the canal is large, straight and short, you will have > 90% left of vent capacity. If it's long, twistet and narrow, it can go down to 40% or even less.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

[i'm assuming this topic will be merged, but...]

Three resources for you:

David Scantland in the Daily Gullet - Maximum Suck (Q&A at the bottom)

Range Hoods & Vents (merged topics)

ThatHomeSite's FAQ - Overview of Vent Hoods

Short answer: with a minimal duct run, no grill (sounds like you're going for all burners), and a "conservative" cooking style, a 600 CFM hood might do the trick.

But, if you're into high-temp searing or woking, you may want to look at 42" hoods with more CFMs.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I have a Viking 36" range top and put in a Viking wall hood. I went with a 42" wide 27" deep hood to give more capture area and they offered a 600 cfm, single motor or 1200 cfm double interior motor. Thinking it would be over kill and with the larger size hood I went with the 600 cfm. For the most part it works well. If I open a window and there is a breeze coming in it disrupts the air flow and some smoke will move outside of the hood area and into the kitchen. The 1200 would have been better but the duct work is very important. If it's too small it doesn't make much difference since you can only move so much air through a given space at one time. If I were to do it over again I would go with a more powerful motor and do an external remote motor to cut down on the noise. They didn't sound that loud in the store but when you are right next to it and when it's running for a long time it's an issue.

scuba,

Have you thought about retrofitting a remote exhaust fan? I think Fantech makes a rooftop unit that will allow you to remove the "guts" from your Viking hood, and upgrade the CFMs in the process. I have no idea how much it would cost, though...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Thanks Joe. Yes I have thought about it, but since the kitchen is just 1 yr old and I spend way too much on remodeling, it something I might do in the future. Thanks for the link.

edited to add. I really like the fantech's backdraft damper. It has a spring for positive closure. I have already had to have service on my damper because grease caused it to stick with one side open and one closed that resulted in an ear shattering rattle. The repair guy told me to replace it with an electric model but this looks it would do the trick. He also told me that this problem was really not considered repair but maintenance and that it usually is not covered under the extended warranty.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Have yout thought about asking what the manufacturer of your Wolf range reccamends rather than some salesperson that probably could care less about what is correct for your model? -Dick

Well, I figure Wolf will just say "buy Wolf", which may be valid - or it could be a way of marketing overpriced hoods that have the Wolf nameplate on them. How do I know? That was what I was hoping to get here - a sense of whether the Wolf range hood is really worth the price differential.