• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Range-top exhaust

JohnnyH

I'm about to move into a new house with a good-sized kitchen and a decent stove, but alas, no exhaust hood over the range. I have no intention of changing the way I cook, but I'd rather not smoke the place out. Anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced range hood that can be installed with relative ease and -- hopefully -- won't require a separate external exhaust? We're renting the place, not buying, so I want to (have to) avoid major construction projects.

Thanks for the help...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

The hood over a range ducted to the outside has two functions. One function is the removal of smoke and smells, the second function is the removal of heat. With a high heat range such as a Viking you MUST duct to the outside. The often sold internal ducting hoods are simply junk and will not accomplish what is required. Sorry but there is no solution other than to do the job properly. -Dick

Any range hood that's going to do a good job of removing smoke is going to require ducting to the outside. In our new house, we had planned for a high end, professional style range hood, but our spec got ignored and we ended up with the wrong kind of ducting to support it.

We ended up going with a Broan Allure 3, and we're very happy with it. It only requires a 10x4 rectangular duct that can go straight out the back of the hood, so if your stove is on an external wall it might be relatively simple to install the ductwork. The hood includes a "Boost" option which brings it up to 450 CFM or something, which is quite good. We can roast coffee under it without smelling it in the house at all.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

A primary function of exhaust fans is to rid interior space of excess moisture. Don't duct the hood into the attic or other interior spaces.

I wonder about the concept of venting heat...you pay more for all those BTU's - why exhaust them? But I do know that the more professional style cooktops require more cfm's to vent well, so maybe there is something to that.