• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Vietnamese In Norther VA?

Busboy

I'm being drawn across the River this evening on an errand into Northern VA. Being as how I'm physically, intellectually and emotionaly whipped after a night in which Mark Slater and various other Citronellians pummelled my wife and myself into submission with wave after wave of extraordinary food and wine -- despite our pleas for mercy -- I thought healing bowl of pho might be in order tonight.

Any suggestions as to great Vietnames in the greater Alexandria/Arlington region?

(Nothing against Four Sisters, we just don't want to drive that far at rush hour).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I strongly suggest Cafe Dalat on Wilson Blvd across from Clarendon Metro.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Pho 75 on Wilson Blvd just west of Rosslyn for Pho. For a fuller meal, Steve Klc might recommend Minh's, also on Wilson Blvd but further west towards Courthouse. If you go to Minh's, get the head-on shrimp appetizer with sweet potato - it's a winner.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Firstly...Pho Xe Lua in eden center is much better than 4 sisters for pho. They even have chicken pho (w/chicken broth)...where most places use beef broth regardless. They have beef as well of course. I went once w/ a healthnut friend...and the owner asked if he wanted beef or chicken....and when he said chicken...he asked if my friend wanted it w/out the skin. My friend was extatic. Plus...we got interesting herbs. Yes, there was cilantro in the pho already, and basil on the side....but there was also tarragon...and what I eventually indentified as Long Coriander on teh side as well. Some of those herbs were given to us cuz one of us had chicken pho. Anyway...all the serve is pho...but its excellent. there is a guy selling books just outside the shop. My fav pho joint. :)

If it has to be arlington...nam viet (Clarendon) has good pho...and the rest of their food is excellent.

Also, try Viet Huong (eden ctr) instead of 4 Sisters for reg Viet food next time.

Edited by foodgeek (log)

-Jason

Also, try Viet Huong  (eden ctr) instead of 4 Sisters for reg Viet food next time.

Does anyone besides me think Four Sisters is waaaay overrated? I'm not even sure it's better than the place right next door to it. The Queen Bee of this decade?

I'm with you. We have a couple of irregular destinations in the Seven Corners area -- REI, the lazer tag place -- and we almost always go over to Eden Center for a meal. Having tried them both, our regular hangout is now the restaurant known only (to us, anyway) as "the place next door to Four Sisters." Kids love the fondue, I like the seafood, and we're all addicted to the killer lime sodas.

I'm on the pavement

Also, try Viet Huong  (eden ctr) instead of 4 Sisters for reg Viet food next time.

Does anyone besides me think Four Sisters is waaaay overrated? I'm not even sure it's better than the place right next door to it. The Queen Bee of this decade?

Is Queen Bee still open? I used to eat there regularly, and it was worth a special trip, but there are so many more Viet places open now...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Is Queen Bee still open? I used to eat there regularly, and it was worth a special trip, but there are so many more Viet places open now...

I didn't like 4 sisters.

I tried Queen be a few weeks ago...and it was ok...but can't touch Nam Viet a couple of blocks away. Litte Viet Garden I didn't like. Dalat I've yet to try.

-Jason

Ended up going to Dalat and was a little diappointed. The pho was flat, lacking the depth and richness and of a really good soup -- that moment when the bowl is put down and the aroma of beef, anise and cilantro envelops the table never arrived. The chiao gia (sp?) were unmemorable. On the other hand, the crispy whole flounder with ginger was excellent, crisply cooked and strong enough of a fish to stand up to a generous amount of ground fresh ginger.

I'm on the pavement

Ended up going to Dalat and was a little diappointed. The pho was flat, lacking the depth and richness and of a really good soup -- that moment when the bowl is put down and the aroma of beef, anise and cilantro envelops the table never arrived. The chiao gia (sp?) were unmemorable. On the other hand, the crispy whole flounder with ginger was excellent, crisply cooked and strong enough of a fish to stand up to a generous amount of ground fresh ginger.

well, ive been told that Vietnamese often get their pho at pho specific joints (not full restaurants). It may explain why the pho place I mentioned in Eden Center is so good.

-Jason

True. But I've had very good pho from non-specialized Vietnamese restaurants, as well.

Probably worth checking out the Eden Center place next time I'm out there, though.

I'm on the pavement