• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony Bourdain or someone

Janedujour

Hi Tony:

Since you worked and knew a lot of folks in P-Town I thought I'd try to jog your memory.

I've been going there since the 60's with my family.

Our favorite restaurant was a little family run place called "Cookies" (not to be confused with Cookes in Orleans) It was way down on Commercial past the Boatslip. It's changed hands a lot since the '80s.

The family was Portuguese and they made the best Kale soup, baked cod with tomatoes and cheese, and we could actually order any sized lobster in the am to be cooked and cracked later for dinner.

While we'd wait for our meal they'd always bring bread and a small bowl of fava beans to munch on. As a kid I thought they were so cool because I'd never seen such giant beans! We'd eat them with our fingers and they were in a wonderful brine or vinaigrette, served cold. They were great and I've never seen them anywhere else! I believe they were made from dried beans because they were brown, not green, and I'm sure the seasoning had garlic and onion, but ANY CLUE? I want the recipe. Last time I tried to make fava's they were half mushy: these were firmer. Maybe you even knew the family.? I hope they are now living the good life back in Portugal. I'd appreciate anyone's help!!

JANE

When I was in Portugal, I had dinner that included "lupini beans – “tremucos” boiled and salted, slip them from the skins for eating". I saw these in a jar at The Spanish Table, In Seattle (also on-line) earlier this year, but not recently. Good luck.

I think I've had those too. I've seen them imported from Greece in cans with

tomato sauce (my mom bought some at Job Lot and said they were good!)

These were really different. I'll bet they had a huge barrel of them in the back of the restaurant and would just scoop 'em out and serve them to each new table.

Damn!

JANE

Cool. Thanks so much River.

Those sound really good, especially the cinnamon idea. It sounds like they are served warm.

I guess I'll find a local Portuguese grocery (most likely in Waterbury, right?) and get some canned favas and pickle them myself with some sherry vinegar, onion, garlic, parsley, some pickling spices and a touch of cinnamon, maybe some fennel tops, then chill well.

I've been into making pickles out of everything lately!

JANE

jane i have no idea where a portuguese grocer would be...waterbury probably has one or two at least.

if you find one can you post?

also WHERE do you (or anyone else) know of a good chinese grocer in the waterbury ct area?

thanks.

r.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Good idea Elyse about the Spain/Portugal forum.

River, no ideas for Asian grocery in Wtby (I usually go to one in E. Hartford or the New Haven area)

If I find a Portuguese grocer in the area I'll let you know.

By the way, there's a GREAT new Polish/Slavic grocer on Main St. in Ansonia called Europol. They have incredible meats and sausages, frozen pierogies, blintzes, cheeses, candy, everything. Worth a trip!

JANE

River,

I don't have addresses and only one name!

I'll try my best:

One Asian market is in East Hartford on Silver Lane, called Lotte Market. It's very near the new "Renchler Field/UConn stadium" in the same plaza as Korea Japan restaurant and a furniture store, before you get to Stop and Shop plaza.

Another is on Whitney Ave. in New Haven. My mom goes there a lot. It is not far from downtown, near Yale.

There's another Asian place on the Post Rd. I can never remember exactly

where, but on the same side as Pasta Fair, Home depot, in a little strip mall of stores, one a computer place? I think it's called Asian Trading or market ?

There's an Indian market , near the Indian restaurant (it has a new name)also on the Post Rd, on same side and just before Maxwell's Oyster Bar.

Sorry! I'm hopeless. If I get to any of these places soon, I'll grab business cards!

JANE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
When I was in Portugal, I had dinner that included "lupini beans – “tremucos” boiled and salted, slip them from the skins for eating". I saw these in a jar at The Spanish Table, In Seattle (also on-line) earlier this year, but not recently. Good luck.

My father in law is Portugese and loves lupini beans. He serves them at every family gathering. I have seen lupinis in stop and shop by all the pickled items. They are so yummy and fun to eat.

Eat with your eyes as much as your mouth. Check out my photography here.