• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Brunswick Dining

ktbear7476

Hello!! I just moved back into the area....Imagine my surprise when I saw all the new restaurants in New Bruns!!! I don't know where to start!!

So, I'm asking for any opinions...it has been a while since I've been to "old" favorites as well, so if you want to include thoughts on those also that would be great!!!

Just to mention a few NB restaurants:

Soho on George

Stage Left

Clydz

North Star

The Frog and the Peach

Gaebels

Makeda

Nova Terra

Toscana

Attilio's

Green Grotto

Harvest Moon

Old Man Rafferty's

Thanks!!!

Soho on George--Excellent

Stage Left--Was very good the last time I was there but it has been a few years. Worth a visit. Expensive

Clydz--have game meats. Some people love this place. I thought it was ok.

North Star--haven't been. Suppose to have very good tapas

The Frog and the Peach--Was excellent the last time I was there but it has been a few years. Worth a visit. Expensive

Gaebels-Haven't been

Makeda-Haven't been in years. Worth a visit.

Nova Terra--Good.

Toscana--haven't been

Attilio's--owned by one of the Suprano's. Very casual.

Green Grotto--Haven't been.

Harvest Moon--good for lunch

Old Man Rafferty's--good for lunch.

Thanks!!!

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks!! I've been to Stage, Soho, Clydz and North Star (they do have good tapas :smile: ) Like i said, it has just been about 4 years since I lived in the area, so I wanted to make sure they were still worth the visit.

Gaebels, Nova Terra, Toscana and Attilio's have all sprung up since I left. Ha, yeah, Attilio's is owned by Furio....

Well, I'll make sure to come back and post my reviews as I start making my rounds. I think we're gonna start off with Soho!!!

Ken and I just had a nice dinner at Attilio's last night before attending the prodction at George St. Playhouse. We've been wanting to try the restaurant after enjoying its Penne with Vodka Sauce at Taste of New Brunswick in September. Since Ken left a business card at the booth, we got a nice coupon for free appetizers.

Since it's Monsoon Season in New Brunswick, and we often seem to try out new restaurants in the rain... :smile: Last night was indeed the time to try this place, nestled in one of the smaller side streets not too far from the Ferren Deck. As it turned out, we've passed by this place many times without noticing.

Attilio's is a 2-story place. You place (and pay for) your order downstairs, then walk upstairs to a nice dining area (brick walls, old pictures, and pretty, lacy cutains) and the staff brings up the food. The downstairs also has a small counter against the front window for those who might want a quick bite, or may be dining alone.

Portions are generous; so needless to say, I've got tonight's dinner waiting for me when Ken finally gets home from his interview in Hartford. :smile: We were also told that all sauces are made from scratch with no preservatives.

Appetizers were Mozzarella with Peppers (fresh cheese, very tasty - we dinished this one) and Portobello Mushroom with cheese (would've been much better without being drenched in balsamic - the remains did not come home with us). Entrees were Rigatoni with the aforementioned pink vodka sauce, and Penne with Fra Diavlo Sauce, which had a very nice kick to it.

We also ordered garlic bread without knowing that plain stuff came with the meal. Both breads were ok, but I don't think we'd get the garlic again.

Attilio's is BYO, but this time we opted to just have soda.

All in all, a great place to eat in New Brunswick that costs much less than several others in town.

My two cents:

Stage Left- I was very hot on this restaurant over the last year, since they renovated and the wine store becasme a dining area..its the only place I like to sit, as I feelt he rest of the restaurant is very cold and stark. I've had some real winner meals there, in large parties of 10 and just the two of us...and great service. Then, my last meal was uninspired, the service was just average, and they were out of two wines we tried to order.... Knowing that every place has a bad night, I'll still keep it on my list, but some of the shine has come off. Also, I had a terrible experience with the catering manager there, which certainly colored my views.

I really like Soho, and think that their food can be quite adventurous for a casual kind of place..also, very grown up ( ie not college) bar scene on weekends there. Had a gingered duck last fall that I can still recall, and I love their lobster club for lunch..but lunch service at the bar can be spotty at best.

I've had lunch at Atillio's, and while it was a generous, cheap bowl of pasta, it doesn't have much of an atmosphere. Not impressed.

Rosie is right, Clydz has a reputatuion for game selections..but there were none on their summer menu, the last time I ate there. I like the feel of the place, and its great for lunch at the bar with the judges and attorneys from the courthouse...great evesdropping! :rolleyes: I realy like trying their game preperations, and at least once we'll visit int he winter to see what's new on the menu.

Frog still gets great WOM even after all these years. I have not been in years, had a meal or two that was way too full of itself, fussy and overcomposed. But, repected palatees regularly give it a thumbs up, and I really should visit again.

Makeda was good for lunch, but I had little knowledge of the cuisinne, so I can't really give an opinion on the food besides that it was tasty.

I like Green Grotto...same owner has a Jamaican take out next store with fabulous jerk dishes and curried goat..I think he's slated for a tear down to make room for new development.

My parents love OMRafferty's, so I have always assumed it was cheap, large portioned and mediocre! :wacko: Never been.

WAs a Goebel's for drinks,a nd it was so empty, so " on our way out" kind of feel, I never returned..but that was a year ago, so they must have survived!

Good dining,a nd welcome back to NJ

My parents love OMRafferty's, so I have always assumed it was cheap, large portioned and mediocre! :wacko: Never been.

Rafferty's is a place that's packed every night, a little on the expensive side and renowned for its desserts (you have to wander into the gourmet shop and look, drool, and choose.)

Problem is - the entrees aren't that great - or unique - there, good burgers but nothing unusual or standout. And the desserts are gorgeous but frozen (shipped in from upstate NY). Many are delicious though, but not as good as a well-made inhouse dessert, and not worth a 1-hour wait for a table...

Cafe 52 on Easton avenue gets their desserts from the same place, and if I get a hankerin' I just go there and get some with a cup of coffee.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Frog still gets great WOM even after all these years. I have not been in years, had a meal or two that was way too full of itself, fussy and overcomposed. But, repected palatees regularly give it a thumbs up, and I really should visit again.

I, too, have not had dinner at The Frog & the Peach since way back in the last millennium. However, I've been there several times during the past couple of months for what I consider one of the best lunch special offers around: $18.95 for 3 courses. The menu changes completely each week, and every lunch we have had has been totally delicious. An added plus is their very attractively decorated Garden Room, open year-round.

You can get on their e-mail list, and they will send you a message letting you know what is on each week's menu. Here's the latest:

Prix Fixe Lunch

Week of November 10, 2003

Mixed Green Salad

with Apple Vinaigrette, Roasted Apples, Spiced Hazelnuts and Manchego Cheese

Pumpkin Agnoletti

with Portobello Mushrooms, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Truffle Brown Butter Sauce

Ginger Pineapple Tart

with Coconut Sorbet

Waltzed past La Fontana last week on a Saturday at 7PM. Almost completely empty, it seemed. Very depressing.

As a student, I always took a sidelong glance whenever I passed that place... it always had that forbidden appeal to it, the "you're not good enough for this place" feel. It's a little sad to see that even La Fontana cannot keep business up these days.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Waltzed past La Fontana last week on a Saturday at 7PM. Almost completely empty, it seemed. Very depressing.

As a student, I always took a sidelong glance whenever I passed that place... it always had that forbidden appeal to it, the "you're not good enough for this place" feel. It's a little sad to see that even La Fontana cannot keep business up these days.

I was at La Fontana last week, and Panico's this week...both are busier during the week for business than during the weekends. I think they're doing fine. I used to prefer La Fontana, but lately I've been getting better speicails at Panico's.

I was at La Fontana last week, and Panico's this week...both are busier during the week for business than during the weekends. I think they're doing fine. I used to prefer La Fontana, but lately I've been getting better speicails at Panico's.

That's good to hear.... I've never been in either, kinda out of the ol'price range :wink:

What about Panico's?

Panico's gets diverse reviews..either a love it/hate it kinda place. It's very clubby and business oriented. The regular menu is traditional Italian, both Southern and Norhtern. They do great veal, fish and pastas. ( Pastas perhaps a bit heavy on the cream) I think their specials are usually more inspired. I've never had a terrible meal there, and I usually think its "good plus", and the service is better than most places. I eat there perhaps 6 times a year. Nice wine list, too.