• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Turkey

fifi

Bringing up the thread again this year. Last year's first attempt was not very good but since I bought a fryer, I am doing it again. I bought an indoor (yes) masterbuilt fryer and I must say that unless you are drunk, you shouldn't be afraid.

Nonetheless, if anyone has one or is looking to buy one of these...

My notes from last year are:

Don't trust the timer. At 360 for 40 minutes, the thigh was 177 and the breast 201. This time I will preheat to 375, drop it in and set it for 350 for 30 minutes and check the meat temp.

Don't fry a heritage turkey. The shape is longer than a regular bird and does not completely submerge. This time - a standard frankenbutterball creature.

We'll see how it goes this time. This year I am roasting one also. It works out well since we have a huge crew.

Will report back. The oven time saved is glorious and I would like to get it right one of these days.

Dough can sense fear.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious - has anyone tried stovetop frying turkey parts? I know, you might as well do chicken if you're going to go that route, but I just want to see if I can get the same effect doing just the breast or a leg, without going whole hog. Thanks....

I'm curious - has anyone tried stovetop frying turkey parts?  I know, you might as well do chicken if you're going to go that route, but I just want to see if I can get the same effect doing just the breast or a leg, without going whole hog.  Thanks....

I'm also curious about this. I just bought 4 turkey thighs and have them brining now. I would like to try to fry them and wanted to know how long per pound to fry and is that total pounds or pounds per piece.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

• 11 months later...

In honor of fifi, I thought I would resurrect this discussion to remind those who will be deep frying a turkey for (U.S.) Thanksgiving of the safety precautions needed.

I believe we will be deep frying a turkey this year (served along with a regular oven-roasted turkey). My mom hates the hassle of deep frying but my brothers and I do the frying (outdoors, of course) and the clean up and enjoy the end result. I'm going to try and persuade my brother to fry two...one for Thanksgiving and one he can take home for his own family after the holiday.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...
So, uh, what do you do if there's rain in the forecast?

Move into the garage or someplace else undercover! Rain and Turkey fryers do not mix! A friend of mine can tell you all about it can show you the scars to prove it.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

OK, we are frying a turkey for the first time this year. We always do two turkeys, one roasted and the second one smoked, but we have a turkey fryer now, so away we go!

First of all, are they price gouging peanut oil out there or what? Like, fifty bucks for 3 gallons? I buy peanut oil all year, but the price has tripled since the first of November. I went ahead and sucked it up.

Secondly, to inject or not inject? It came with a nifty injector. Also, what do you inject? I won't be brining, but sort of planned on inecting the night before, presalting the skin, then letting it sit overnight upright on it's little perch and drain in the spare fridge. Sound like a plan?

We have both read all the safety tips three or four times, so feel comfortable that we will not be setting things ablaze.

Thanks in advance!

Now comes the time of year for pots to sit on patios, on lawns, on little grassy verges, whilst jacket-clad cooks brave the elements to fry that bird.

Just one Caveat: Whatever you use to soak, brine, inject or rub, do NOT do THIS:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=873672

• 11 months later...

Time to bump this thread back up for the safety precautions.

Tim Oliver

Local Chicago TV station did a story over the weekend with someone from Butterball, and they were showing off an in home countertop turkey deep fryer. Supposedly handles a 10-12 lb turkey and costs in the range of $100-120. They did not say where you could buy one. It was not enourmous and had a lid you closed when cooking, like some smaller deep fryers. Supposedly avoids most of the safety concerns with propane fryers.

Edited by rickster (log)

• 1 year later...

It's time to bump this discussion up again for the safety precautions.

This year, my brother will be deep frying a turkey at his home and then bringing it over to my mom's for Thanksgiving. He injects the bird the night before and does a rub, as well.

He will also be frying up multiple chickens. He figured as long as he was going through the bother of deep frying, he would take advantage of the hot oil and fry some chicken which he will give out to family members to take home.

Anyone else deep frying a turkey this year?

Tim Oliver