• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Top Chinese Food Experiences

Back during the dot-com boom, I worked at a dot-com in Torrance, California that bordered an area that has the best Japanese food in the state. However, we had a handful of Chinese engineers and, confident they had to know the best Chinese food to be found, I convinced them to take me to lunch.

It was a grand affair and little did I know that we had to drive over an hour away, to Monrovia, to Tung Lai Shun - Islamic Chinese.

Four of the six engineers involved in this sojourn spoke little English so as we entered the restaurant, the owner immediately came out and a blur of Chinese began to be spoke. Little did I know that I would never see a menu, they had just begun to order us lunch. Within a few minutes, a waitress came out and presented us with an entire duck - for our approval. When the guys nodded their assent, she deftly started disassembling the bird for their version of MooShu - instead of the thin pancakes, the duck meat, hoisin sauce, and cucumber shreds were put into breaded sesame pockets. The remainder of the bird was hacked up and re-appeared in a large cauldron of soup.

I never did see a menu but recall a spicy dish of duck tongues, savory beef tendon, the most amazing garlic-sauteed spinach, yet a different soup (with noodles, this time), a scallion-filled round of bread, and five or six other dishes the contents of which I never learned. I just remember how amazed I was at the bounty and flavor of all this amazing food. The engineers who didn't speak to me because of the language barrier beemed at my gustatorial enjoyment of the adventure. I was doubly amazed that while we had enough food to feed a dozen people (and none of it was finished), all six engineers insisted I take home the leftovers to share with Shawn. He and I ate for days and no Chinese meal ever was able to compare with that afternoon. Part of it was also the fact that we were out of the office for hours, and I had a great boss who knew of the adventure and covered for my absence.

my first trip to chung king in monterey park (in the san gabriel valley adjoining los angeles) would probably be my pick. there were 4 of us and we ordered enough food for 8. the best ma-po tofu i have ever eaten; the most amazing pork spare-ribs with medicinal ash; the hot-chopped chicken: little cubes of chicken barely visible in a sea of red chillies swimming in chilli oil; the most amazing whole pumpkin stuffed with spiced ground pork (this wasn't on the menu--we saw it on other people's tables and demanded it); not to mention the cold appetizer buffet bar. i could go on and on.

if you live in los angeles and you haven't been to chung king you owe it to yourself to go. take the 10 east, exit on garfield, turn right at the bottom of the ramp--keep on trucking till you pass garvey. chung king will be on the left side of the street opposite the designer shoe warehouse.

warning 1: this is the spiciest food i've ever eaten (and as a bengali i eat pretty spicy food)

warning 2: there is only one person there who speaks english so you have to be patient (since you'll likely be the only non-chinese speakers in the tiny space this probably won't be a problem). however, you'll need to stock up on the water early since the food is dangerously hot and you may not see the english speaker every time your tongue catches on fire. which leads me to:

tip: they don't serve alcohol but allow you to bring in your own beer (no charge); there's a liquor store right next door. nobody will look at you askance if you walk in with a couple of 4-packs of boddington's or some other crisp lager.

HKDave, great post. I remember the Green Door in Van. Went there as a guset back in 1963-64 (?). Not fancy, not great (in hindsight) but to a young Chinese Canadian Army Officer just coming off the field where he spent 3 weeks eating army chow out of mess tins, it was enough to bring tears of joy to his eyes.

I've had many memorable and forgettable meals in Kwangchow, including wild game meals I would rather not remember. Always used to stay at the White Swan Hotel too.

Memorable meals include one at a Taiwan government office where I was a guest of a mid level minister of the gov't. He had the in-house retaurant bring up "lunch" to his private dining room for 4 of us. Three hours later I came to the conclusion that the powerful do live better than us plebes :wink: What those cooks can do with eel, shrimp, fish, etc.!!

Dave, you mentioned the term "trade mission", was that with the old "BC Trade" agency or was it DFAIT?

• 1 year later...

Best Chinese meal? Hong Kong "dai pai dong". Forget the fancy restaurants. This Toisanese loves some hawker stands. I remember in 1994, the 1st time I went to HK, I had the BEST "yao jah gway" (fried culler) ever. Oh, and the wonton noodle soups. To.Die.For.

I guess since I grew up in the DC area where there are no good Cantonese restaurants, HK glimmers like a pearl in my mind.

last february i went to taiwan with my mom. my uncle took us to GiLong, a bit north of Taipei where my mom and her family grew up. we went to a restaurant (i'm sorry, i don't know the name of it) and had pig's feet. i know it sounds unappetizing, but it was probably the best meal of that whole trip and i still think about it to this day. apparently this place is famous for its pig's feet (my aunt said people drive to gilong just to get pig's feet to go). it's just boiled and served in its own tasty broth, with a big bowl of noodles and this unbelievable spicy sauce that goes over the noodles. it was so good. can't explain it.

.....had pig's feet. i know it sounds unappetizing, but it was probably the best meal of that whole trip and i still think about it to this day. apparently this place is famous for its pig's feet (my aunt said people drive to gilong just to get pig's feet to go). it's just boiled and served in its own tasty broth, with a big bowl of noodles and this unbelievable spicy sauce that goes over the noodles. it was so good. can't explain it.

Pig feet can be tasty if done properly. In Hong Kong, typically pig feet are simmered in a broth made with dark soy, red vinegar, rock sugar and whole ginger for hours. Perhaps some five spice? I am not sure.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Pig feet in black vinegar, peanuts, ginger, lily buds...

New mother's soup...YUM! wub.gif

:laugh: Ohhhh, Sue---Oooonnnn, are you hiding something from us? :biggrin: Do you have an announcement to make???? :raz:

Did I look like I had something to hide when you were here in November? :angry::laugh:

Actually, I was just at a friend's grandson's month old party :smile: , and enjoyed this favourite soup. :raz:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

.....had pig's feet. i know it sounds unappetizing, but it was probably the best meal of that whole trip and i still think about it to this day. apparently this place is famous for its pig's feet (my aunt said people drive to gilong just to get pig's feet to go). it's just boiled and served in its own tasty broth, with a big bowl of noodles and this unbelievable spicy sauce that goes over the noodles. it was so good. can't explain it.

Pig feet can be tasty if done properly. In Hong Kong, typically pig feet are simmered in a broth made with dark soy, red vinegar, rock sugar and whole ginger for hours. Perhaps some five spice? I am not sure.

oh i love pig's feet. that's how my mom prepares it ever since i was little! red-braised pig's feet! mmmm, i love mom!

the idea of the pig's feet just being boiled though, really sounded unappetizing at first. but then when i tasted it, it was delish.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for re-surfacing this thread o' Piper of Olde...

The last couple posts have got me thinking hard. It's almost winter down here in Oz, and my grandma gets off a plane Wednesday morning. I'll be going to the market on Saturday. By Sunday, there will be pig's feet in vinegar on the table. I assure you all. And I will report!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

jo-mel, was the sweet melon nan gua?

Unless it had a face carved into it and contained a candle within, I doubt it was a nan gua.

Huh?

Michael aka "Pan"

There is a Chinese restaurant about two blocks uphill, west, I think, from the Hyatt Hotel in Seoul. Don't remember what I ate, but my God..... :wub:

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Unless it had a face carved into it and contained a candle within, I doubt it was a nan gua.

Huh?

Nangua would be one of the pronounciations for "pumpkin".

Taiwanese, according to my father.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Huh?

In Beijing, it's much more similar to a canteloupe than a pumpkin.

Michael aka "Pan"

In Beijing, it's much more similar to a canteloupe than a pumpkin.

Huh? Nangua the pronounciation would be more similar to a cantaloupe than a pumpkin?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The fruit I ate that people told me was nangua looked something like a honeydew and tasted pretty much like a cantaloupe, from what I remember or maybe it looked like a cantaluope and tasted like a honeydew. It was certainly nothing like a pumpkin. But this is a memory from 1987.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 14 years later...
On 11/25/2003 at 5:45 PM, stellarWOK said:

Here is where the story transcends the culinary. I felt as though I was transported back to a time when I could remember another life when I was Chinese. The spiciness of the dish made me aware of so many things. This experience really stuck with me. As I explored the experience and the thoughts that followed, I felt I had met my death in that life outside the circle of a military camp by being trampeled to death by a horse. As I continued to watch the events, I could see the hoof of a horse crushing my chest on the left side and a rib punctured my heart.

Years later at a palm reading, the reader told me I died in my first life from an injury on my left side by a horse.

It was just some red peppers..I swear. Kung Pao Chicken nothing more.

At times when I walk into a Chinese restaurant, the management and staff seem to recognize me even though now...I am not Chinese.

:huh:

What an amazing story stellarWOK.

5 hours ago, mudbug said:

What an amazing story stellarWOK.

It is indeed but you do realize that that poster has not visited this board in 15 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, mudbug said:

Yes, I do. But these can be ongoing conversations...  ; )

They can, of course, but it’s much more difficult when the principal is no longer present. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, Anna N said:

it’s much more difficult when the principal is no longer present. 

I would say "challenging", but also not reason enough to end a great discussion. People go through phases, society and culture change, individuals come and go, and sometimes come back again (if they haven't passed away). But the discussion about food can, and should — last over lifetimes.

*wink*

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Chinese food must be among the most famous in the world. Yet, at the same time, the most misunderstood.

I feel sure (hope) that most people here know that American-Chinese cuisine, British-Chinese cuisine, Indian-Chinese cuisine etc are, in huge ways, very different from Chinese-Chinese cuisine and each other. That's not what I want to discuss.

Yet, every day I still come across utter nonsense on YouTube videos and Facebook about the "real" Chinese cuisine, even from ethnically Chinese people (who have often never been in China). Sorry YouTube "influencers", but sprinkling soy sauce or 5-spice powder on your cornflakes does not make them Chinese!

So what is the "authentic" Chinese food? Well, like any question about China, there are several answers. It is not surprising that a country larger than western Europe should have more than one typical culinary style. Then, we must distinguish between what you may be served in a large hotel dining room, a small local restaurant, a street market stall or in a Chinese family's home.

That said, in this topic, I want to attempt to debunk some of the more prevalent myths. Not trying to start World War III.

When I moved to China from the UK 25 years ago, I had my preconceptions. They were all wrong. Sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice was reported to be the second favourite dish in Britain, and had, of course, to be preceded by a plate of prawn/shrimp crackers. All washed down with a lager or three.

Yet, in that quarter of a century, I've seldom seen a prawn cracker. And egg fried rice is usually eaten as a quick dish on its own, not usually as an accompaniment to main courses. Every menu featured a starter of prawn/shrimp toast which I have never seen in mainland China - just once in Hong Kong.

But first, one myth needs to be dispelled. The starving Chinese! When I was a child I was encouraged to eat the particularly nasty bits on the plate by being told that the starving Chinese would lap them up. My suggestion that we could post it to them never went down too well. At that time (the late fifties) there was indeed a terrible famine in China (almost entirely manmade (Maomade)).

When I first arrived in China, it was after having lived in Soviet Russia and I expected to see the same long lines of people queuing up to buy nothing very much in particular. Instead, on my first visit to a market (in Hunan Province), I was confronted with a wider range of vegetables, seafood, meat and assorted unidentified frying objects than I have ever seen anywhere else. And it was so cheap I couldn't convert to UK pounds or any other useful currency.

I'm going to start with some of the simpler issues - later it may get ugly!

1. Chinese people eat everything with chopsticks.

No, they don't! Most things, yes, but spoons are also commonly used in informal situations. I recently had lunch in a university canteen. It has various stations selling different items. I found myself by the fried rice stall and ordered some Yangzhou fried rice. Nearly all the students and faculty sitting near me were having the same.

I was using my chopsticks to shovel the food in, when I noticed that I was the only one doing so. Everyone else was using spoons. On investigating, I was told that the lunch break is so short at only two-and-a-half hours that everyone wants to eat quickly and rush off for their compulsory siesta.

I've also seen claims that people eat soup with chopsticks. Nonsense. While people use chopsticks to pick out choice morsels from the broth, they will drink the soup by lifting their bowl to their mouths like cups. They ain't dumb!

Anyway, with that very mild beginning, I'll head off and think which on my long list will be next.

Thanks to @KennethT for advice re American-Chinese food.

• By liuzhou
      Wowotou buns ( 窝窝头 wō wō tóu), also known more simply as wō tóu are originally from northern China. The name means "nest" and they come in many forms. These are the ones I use. As you can see, they are usually stuffed with whatever the cook decides. These are stuffed with spicy pork and pickled greens, but I've also served them with a seafood stuffing.

This is the recipe I usually use.

窝窝头

350 grams all-purpose/plain flour
      150 grams black soya bean flour
      3 grams instant yeast
      260 grams  milk

Mix the flours well, dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic
      wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size.

Sprinkle flour on the chopping board, knead the dough, adding more flour if too wet. until all air is expelled and the dough has a smooth surface.

Form the dough into six even-sized balls and rub between the palms until smooth and round. Flatten slightly, then use your thumb to press the dough into a nest shape.

Steam covered for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The flours used vary a lot. Corn or sorghum flours are very popular, but I don't like corn and sorghum isn't the easiest to find here in southern China. Use what you like, but the overall quantity for this recipe should be 500 grams. It has been suggested that pure corn flour is too sticky, so probably best to mix it with regular wheat flour.

They freeze well.

Recipe adapted from 念念不忘的面食  by 刘哲菲 (Unforgettable Wheat Foods by Liu Zhefei). This isn't a direct translation, but retelling of the gist. Any errors are mine. Not Ms. Liu's.
    • By liuzhou
      Stir-fried Squid with Snow Peas - 荷兰豆鱿鱼

Another popular restaurant dish that can easily be made at home. The only difficult part (and it's really not that difficult) is preparing the squid. However, your seafood purveyor should be able to do that for you. I have given details below.

Ingredients

Fresh squid. I tend to prefer the smaller squid in which case I allow one or two squid per person, depending on what other dishes I'm serving. You could use whole frozen squid if fresh is unavailable. Certainly not dried squid.

Snow peas aka Mange Tout. Sugar snap peas can also be used. The final dish should be around 50% squid and 50% peas, so an amount roughly equivalent to the squid in bulk is what you are looking for. De-string if necessary and cut in half width-wise.

Cooking oil. I use rice bran oil, but any vegetable cooking oil is fine. Not olive oil, though.

Garlic.  I prefer this dish to be rather garlicky so I use one clove or more per squid. Adjust to your preference.

Ginger. An amount equivalent to that of garlic.

Red Chile. One or two small hot red chiles.

Shaoxing wine. See method. Note: Unlike elsewhere, Shaoxing wine sold in N. America is salted. So, cut back on adding salt if using American sourced Shaoxing.

Oyster sauce

Sesame oil (optional)

Salt

Preparing the squid

The squid should be cleaned and the tentacles and innards pulled out and set aside while you deal with the tubular body. Remove the internal cartilage / bone along with any remaining innards. With a sharp knife remove the "wings" then slit open the tube by sliding your knife inside and cutting down one side. Open out the now butterflied body. Remove the reddish skin (It is edible, but removing it makes for a nicer presentation. It peels off easily.) Again, using the sharp knife cut score marks on the inside at 1/8th of an inch intervals being careful not to cut all the way through. Then repeat at right angles to the original scoring, to give a cross-hatch effect. Do the same to the squid wings. Cut the body into rectangles roughly the size of a large postage stamp.

Separate the tentacles from the innards by feeling for the beak, a hard growth just above the tentacles and at the start of the animal's digestive tract. Dispose of all but the tentacles. If they are long, half them.

Wash all the squid meat again.

Method

There are only two ways to cook squid and have it remain edible. Long slow cooking (an hour or more) or very rapid (a few seconds) then served immediately. Anything else and you'll be chewing on rubber. So that is why I am stir frying it. Few restaurants get this right, so I mainly eat it at home.

Heat your wok and add oil. Have a cup of water to the side. Add the garlic, ginger and chile. Should you think it's about to burn, throw in a little of that water. It will evaporate almost immediately but slow down some of the heat.

As soon as you can smell the fragrance of the garlic and ginger, add the peas and salt and toss until the peas are nearly cooked (Try a piece to see!). Almost finally, add the squid with a tablespoon of the Shaoxing and about the same of oyster sauce. Do not attempt to add the oyster sauce straight from the bottle. The chances of the whole bottle emptying into your dinner is high! Believe me. I've been there!

The squid will curl up and turn opaque in seconds. It's cooked. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of so of sesame oil (if used) and serve immediately!

• By liuzhou
      Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chiles,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chiles. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and Shaoxing.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• By liuzhou
      Clam Soup with Mustard Greens - 车螺芥菜汤

This is a popular, light but peppery soup available in most restaurants here (even if its not listed on the menu). Also, very easy to make at home.

Ingredients

Clams. (around 8 to 10 per person. Some restaurants are stingy with the clams, but I like to be more generous). Fresh live clams are always used in China, but if, not available, I suppose frozen clams could be used. Not canned. The most common clams here are relatively small. Littleneck clams may be a good substitute in terms of size.

Stock. Chicken, fish or clam stock are preferable. Stock made from cubes or bouillon powder is acceptable, although fresh is always best.

Mustard Greens. (There are various types of mustard green. Those used here are  芥菜 , Mandarin: jiè cài; Cantonese: gai choy). Use a good handful per person. Remove the thick stems, to be used in another dish.)

Garlic. (to taste)

Chile. (One or two fresh hot red chiles are optional).

Salt.

MSG (optional). If you have used a stock cube or bouillon powder for the stock, omit the MSG. The cubes and power already have enough.

White pepper (freshly ground. I recommend adding what you consider to be slightly too much pepper, then adding half that again. The soup should be peppery, although of course everything is variable to taste.)

Method

Bring your stock to a boil. Add salt to taste along with MSG if using.

Finely chop the garlic and chile if using. Add to stock and simmer for about five minutes.

Make sure all the clams are tightly closed, discarding any which are open - they are dead and should not be eaten.

The clams will begin to pop open fairly quickly. Remove the open ones as quickly as possible and keep to one side while the others catch up. One or two clams may never open. These should also be discarded. When you have all the clams fished out of the boiling stock, roughly the tear the mustard leaves in two and drop them into the stock. Simmer for one minute. Put all the clams back into the stock and when it comes back to the boil, take off the heat and serve.