• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coquille St. Jaques

fifi

I think this is going to turn out rather pretty. The scallops will be in white LeCreuset small gratins set on a large white porcelain plate with the roasted asparagus on the side. I may finely dice some red bell pepper for garnish on the asparagus. I have to think about the flavor, though. I haven't decided. I just seem to want a touch of red. Maybe I will just garnish the rim of the plates. *still thinking*

Thanks for the great post.

I also like a little red mixed in with scallops. What I devised this past summer was a perfect smoked scallop.

I grow round red hot cherry peppers in our garden. When ripe, I remove a few peppers from the pant, cut the top/stem off and de-seed and devein, after washing the pepper under cold water, they are cut into half inch slices.

A normal size sea scallop fits very nicely into the the center of the red pepper slice, and then I hotsmoke them for about 45 minutes.

They have a very nice presention when plated.

woodburner

I also like a little red mixed in with scallops. What I devised this past summer was a perfect smoked scallop.

I grow round red hot cherry peppers in our garden. When ripe, I remove a few peppers from the pant, cut the top/stem off and de-seed and devein, after washing the pepper under cold water, they are cut into half inch slices.

A normal size sea scallop fits very nicely into the the center of the red pepper slice, and then I hotsmoke them for about 45 minutes.

They have a very nice presention when plated.

I would think so. (Nice presentation, that is.) The idea of a smoked scallop is intriguing. I don't know much about smoking fish and have never had a smoked scallop, but I wonder what 45 minutes of hot smoking would do in terms of texture. Most hot smoked fish I've had has seemed pretty well done. I have not idea how long it's smoked and I've never had seafood that's smoked--well maybe canned clams.

The red you mention reminds me that in a good restaurant in France, you'd be likely to get the coral with the scallop. From time to time I've seem fresh scallops still in the shell with the coral. The coral is the best part, but it deteriorates quickly and most commercial fishermen just toss it overboard with no expectation of getting back to shore in time. I didn't even think to mention the coral.

Fifi -- It sounds as if they were perfect. In the old days, I never objected to more cream. Boiling down lots of cream was one way to thicken a sauce without using too much roux. Our problem was that people were turning down our dinner invitations because we used so much cream. :biggrin: Theoretically, it may be possible to over reduce the sauce and get too much intensity, but I don't ever recall that happening.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

QUOTE:

Posted by: fifi Nov 8 2003, 11:26 PM

OK guys... the scallops were an absolute hit. I did the

sauce without the egg yolks but with a little extra

cream. I used fresh muchrooms. There were some really

nice button mushrooms so I used fresh. I sprinkled the

top of the gratins with a little gruyere cheese, not a

lot.

That was the best St. Jacques I have ever had, anywhere.

The rest of the party said the same thing.

Many thanks, project.

Glad you, and they, liked it!

Two of my favorite mathematicians are J. Doob and J. von

Neumann. Doob had a student, P. Halmos, who was an assistant

to von Neumann at the Institute for Advanced Study in

Princeton. Halmos, another favorite, wrote a book long

popular in some areas of mathematics and mathematical physics

and gave the Hamilton-Cayley theorem. His version was less

general than possible, so I wrote him a letter. He wrote

back: "It warms the heart of an author to be read and actually

understood."

As usual, Halmos was right! And you clearly understood my

notes very well! Glad it worked!

Digression: There is a famous theorem, the Radon-Nikodym,

that says, given partial information, we can 'smooth' the full

possible story to a description in terms of the partial

information we do have, and the result is in powerful ways the

best we can do. Well, von Neumann has an elegant proof of

this theorem -- a masterstroke. Doob uses this theorem for

the Martingale convergence theorem which can say that the

stock market either (1) goes to 0, runs off to infinity, or

stops changing or (2) has a predictable part. Since we don't

believe (1), we could hope to make money with (2). Amazing.

QUOTE:

Posted by: fifi Nov 9 2003, 12:30 AM

Actually, the little white gratins did look lovely! I

thought about taking a picture but I don't have any way

to post pictures, so I didn't. The green asparagus off to

the side of the gratins set vertically on the big white

porcelain plate made for a nice composition, spare and

sort of contemporary. Quite artistic, if I do say so

myself.

My nephew (smooth talking attorney that he is) came to

the table and said... "Holy shit!" Then he took a bite of

the scallops and said... "Holy Shit! umm... This is

serious stuff."

I think what took the recipe over the top was the

reduction of the poaching liquid. The shallots, mushrooms

and wine did not over-power the scallop. It just made the

sauce more scallopy (new word), I mean it screamed

SCALLOP. Luckily, these were very nice scallops. The

acidity of the wine was a perfect foil to the richness of

the sauce, especially after balancing it at the end with

a couple of squeezes of lemon. The sprinkling of the

gruyere was just enough. You wouldn't want gobs of cheese

on this, IMHO.

Yes, white porcelain dishes are good for 'presenting' this

dish. I have some, inexpensive, possibly from Pier One, that

I used at times. Now the kitty cat gets her canned food in

them!

Of course, the traditional 'dish' is (half of) a scallop

shell. The Time-Life book I listed has a nice full page

picture. At times there have been wicker 'holders' to place

under the shell to steady it -- now we're getting specialized!

Your sense of taste and analysis of the reduction and acid are

good. I did neglect to mention that one reason to use Macon

Blanc is for its acid. Your approach to the cheese was good

and what I should have said in the recipe -- the amount I

listed in the recipe was likely too much.

Yes, leaving out the egg yolks is an option. Then, with the

cream, get a nice rich veloute, which should also be more

'stable' (less likely to have the fat separate out). If at

some time you do include the egg yolks, then you may conclude

that the sauce 'texture', now a 'hot custard', is interesting.

Also the pale yellow might make a nice contrast with the white

dishes.

It was for a reaction like your nephew's that I wanted to

suggest, if only in jest, some appropriately dramatic music.

So, while you are bringing a tray of new white Creuset dishes

with 'Coquille St. Jacques Parisienne' from the kitchen to the

dining room, could play 'The Great Gate of Kiev' or 'The

Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla'. Parts of 'The 1812

Overture' could work, say, time the entrance so that the

cannon shots go off while you open a bottle of (usually

relatively dry French) Champagne -- which should be able to

accompany this dish!

Yes, that sauce, with a nephew with temporarily moderated

decorum, could pass the KFC test!

The French, Child, et al., were on to something with this

dish.

Thanks for the report!

Chalk up another step forward for civilization from

electronics and eGullet!

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am not a music freak, except for the 1812 overture. I play that at maximum volume on the Bose every July 4th.

I am contemplating doing this dish for the daughter and son, both scallop freaks, when they are here for Christmas. I will consider the 1812 overture presentation. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

yeah... I was faced with making something I had never made before to fulfill a friend's craving. I came here, started a thread, got wonderful results. Who can ask for more than that. eGullet rocks!

I forgot to add... I was a little dubious of dumping the hot reduction directly into the hot roux but I did what project said and dumped and just kept stirring with my wooden spatula. I was amazed. It became the smoothest sauce I had ever seen. It was absolutely silky.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am not a music freak, except for the 1812 overture. I play that at maximum volume on the Bose every July 4th.

I am contemplating doing this dish for the daughter and son, both scallop freaks, when they are here for Christmas. I will consider the 1812 overture presentation. :biggrin:

There is just something wrong about serving a quintessentially French dish accompanied by music celebrating the Russian army's beating the snot out of the French. :shock:

No there is not. I think it would be divine justice. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

edit to add: beating the snot out of the French is a fun thing, perpetuated in the 1812 Overture.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

No there is not. I think it would be divine justice. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

edit to add: beating the snot out of the French is a fun thing, perpetuated in the 1812 Overture.

OK. OK, but serve the food appropriate to the music. For the 1812, maybe caviar, blinis and borscht.

Get it? :hmmm:

Edited by MichaelB (log)

Yeah... I get it. But there is somethng perverse about serving a French classic to the 1812. I love perverse. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 year later...

I'm having a "ladies" lunch to celebrate a birthday next week, & have been thinking of this as the main course. Does anyone have a recipe they'd care to share? I thought it would be an easy do-ahead dish, along with a green salad (any dressing ideas here?) & an orange chiffon cake for dessert.

One of my favorite foods in the world is Coquille avec Roe!

For some reason, you can't get the roe attached in the States.

Whenever I ask anyone, they say its because it doesn't sell, that people don't like it.

Well, every time we go to Canada or France, I can't wait!

Does anyone have any inside info on this?

Philly Francophiles

One of my favorite foods in the world is Coquille avec Roe!

For some reason, you can't get the roe attached in the States.

Whenever I ask anyone, they say its because it doesn't sell, that people don't like it.

Well, every time we go to Canada or France, I can't wait!

Does anyone have any inside info on this?

I think it has to do with regulations.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm having a "ladies" lunch to celebrate a birthday next week, & have been thinking of this as the main course.  Does anyone have a recipe they'd care to share?  I thought it would be an easy do-ahead dish, along with a green salad (any dressing  ideas here?) & an orange chiffon cake for dessert.

For a <i>recipe,</i> can see my earlier posts in this thread. The laterposts do have some additional details and correctionsthat should be included in a polished recipe.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I have now made project's recipe several times. I am under orders, with extreme penalties for disobedience, to not "mess" with the recipe.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

. . .

I look pretty silly, don't I, with your recipe printed right here? :rolleyes: My post was merged from another thread.

. . .

Not at all. Merges sneak up on you. :biggrin: You will look silly if you don't try that recipe. :laugh: I just talked to my son and we discussed this very topic since this thread being bumped up reminded me of the scallops. He said that he has had the dish at several really good restaurants in Chicago and DC. He said that Mom's (actually project's) is still the best. I take that seriously. He can be a tough critic.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I don't know if everyone has covered a more modern way to do Coquille St. Jacques beside the whip cream method, but heres my opinion on the matter. Prepare a cream clam stock and shallot reduction to a nappe (coat the spoon) consistency, season with pinches of cayenne salt white pepper and nutmeg (I add pinches of those spices to all my cream sauces (not too much just a hint.))

Now if you are lucky to get scallops in the shell or buy scallops and buy the shells seperately, use the liquor from the scallops to the above sauce. Make sure you clean the shells and the scallop muscle. Make some pipe-able potato puree (this is where I add Gruyere chesse to (makes a tasty mash!) also flavored with pinches of nutmeg, white pepper and salt to taste. Chop finely some shallots and mushrooms (I like chanterelles when in season but oysters would work (I don't like buttons :wacko: .) and saute them lightly in butter s&p and deglaze with white wine.

I like to quick sear the scallops (ok if you got really good scallops all you need is salt and pepper if you don't make sure they are dry and sprinkle them with a little sugar with s&p) and quick sear them on high heat. Split them in half if they are biq scallops if not leave them whole.

OK - Scallop shells ----->in go the scallops, topped with sauteed shallot mushroom mixture, now if you want some color in this you could add some tomato concasse (peeled seeded finely diced tomato,) pipe your mash around the shell making a circle (not too close to the edge, but close enough to make the shell closed when baked.) Then finally the cream clam juice reduction, some fresh herbs of choice (chives, tarragon (easy on that one if you are going to use it,) or chervil would be great) and close the shell making a tight little package. Bake for about 10 -15 minutes (depending on shell size and scallop size (you can always pop one open and look then re-seal it with some left over potato puree,) until scallops are just cooked and steamy. Place the shells on a neatly folded linen towel.

Serve tableside, opening the shells in front of your guests and look at the responses. A nice Alsacian white would be great something with acidity to cut through the fattiness.

Now if you don't have scallop shells invest in some nice gratin dishes and follow the same process however bake them and then broil them (gratineeing them) And serve as above.

Cheers! Bon Appetite!!

Life is so brief that we should not glance either too far backwards or forwards…therefore study how to fix our happiness in our glass and in our plate.

A.L.B. Grimod de la Reyniere

'Almanach des gourmands'