• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single-malt scotch whiskey sale...what is best deal?

thrasymachus

Ok, so 750 ml bottles of single malt scotch in gift packs are on sale at my local liquor store...are these decent prices?:

Glenfiddich 12yr - $33

Glenlivet 12yr - $34

Glenmorangie 10yr - $37

I like bourbon a lot, but don't know much about scotch (I think that is just because the good scotch is just too expensive)...anyway, I don't have much cash, so are these worth it? (I like Johnnie Walker Red best out of the "cheap" scotches I have tried)

These are good prices in my opinion (based on what I have seen here in state controlled Pennsylvania). Being an avid single malt scotch, bourbon, and rye drinker, I tend to like single malt scotch the best because I think it is the most complex and has the most nuances. I like bourbon and there are many great ones (Booker's, A.H. Hirsch, W.L. Weller, Jefferson's Reserve), but I still prefer scotch. Personally, I don't think there is much comparison between a single malt and a blended scotch, but that's me.

Of the ones you mention I think the Glenmorangie is the best, their port, sherry, and madiera cask scotches are even better (and more expensive). In my opinion, one of the best bargains in single malts (and one of my favorites) is Arberlour. I can get the 10 yr. old for about $30 here in Pa., probably cheaper elsewhere. It is a highlands/speyside scotch, which tend to have more inherent sweetness and less peatiness. Their 15 yr. old sherry cask is awesome but will set you back about $45. Start with their 10 yr. old and save the peaty ones from the islands (Highland Park, Bowmore, Laphroaig, etc.) for later after you have acquired a taste for scotch. Hope this helps, and enjoy your journey into single malts! :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I'd start with the Glenlivet, that traditionally is the best of the region.

You really think so? I've never been much of a Glenlivet fan.

I had always thought Glenlivet's profile was so large because they were the first single malt to do large scale advertising and exporting. As a result, especially in America, Glenlivet became the first single male scotch of which many people were aware. Since the jump from Dewar's, et al. to just about any single malt is such a large one in terms of guality and flavor, Glenlivet became the "best" scotch before things like The Macallan, Highland Park and Lagavullin became relatively ubiquitous. It helped, I think, that Glenlivet is a relatively unchallenging malt. Glenfiddich, I believe, was the second scotch to jump on this bandwagon.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I agree with David that Glenmorangie is the cream of that crop. I don't think any one of the three is particularly interesting, but they all would work fine as an introduction to the world of single malt scotch... better yet might be to track down a whole bunch of smaller bottles in a range of styles to taste the range.

--

I know it wasn't one of your original choices, but I have to second Aberlour. I can get it for under $30 in NJ, and it stands up time after time in blind tastings with outrageously priced scotchs and amongst scotch "snobs." If you can find it, it's so worth picking it up to try.

I know it wasn't one of your original choices, but I have to second Aberlour.  I can get it for under $30 in NJ, and it stands up time after time in blind tastings with outrageously priced scotchs and amongst scotch "snobs."  If you can find it, it's so worth picking it up to try.

I third Aberlour being good stuff.

That said... I'd like to point out that, for under 40 dollars you can get things like The Macallen 12 ($39), Laphroaig 10 ($37) and Highland Park 12 ($37). These are outstanding malts. Highland Park in particular I think is one of the best single malts made. So, for a few dollars you can get a big jump up from the likes of Glenmorangie, Glenlivet and Glendiffich.

(NB. these prices are from Sherry-Lehman, an expensive NYC liquor store. I assume better prices can be found.)

--

I wholeheartedly agree with you regrading Highland Park, which I think is among the best of the best. It has a hint of sweetness and peatiness, neither of whcih are overpowering or dominant. I also agree that it is quite a good bargain as well. My favorites of favorites are: Arberlour, Highland Park, Talisker, Macallan > hard to beat in anybody's book!

I wholeheartedly agree with you regrading Highland Park, which I think is among the best of the best. It has a hint of sweetness and peatiness, neither of whcih are overpowering or dominant.

Glad to see another HP fan. I am reluctant to do too much evangelizing, because I think it's so reasonably priced due to the fact that few people are hip to it.

Have you tried the 18 year old? Interestingly, I find that I prefer the 12 year because the honey/heather quality comes through better. I also like Laphroaig 10 better than 15 -- has more of that funky "burnt inner tube" thing going on, whereas the 15 is mellower.

Hollywood, perhaps he is a sophisticated Sophist? A sophisticated Sophist sipping some simple single malts, seemingly serenely satisfied?

--

In terms of a good blended scotch, I think you'd have to look long and hard to find something better than Famous Grouse. A bottle of that will run you maybe 30 bucks. I'd choose Fanous Grouse over Johnnie Walker every time. The gold and blue JW labels are obscenely expensive for blended. I can't see the point of spending more than around 40 for blended scotch.

--

More of a guy who likes to pretend he likes "classy" things ;) .... but seriously, any website recommendations if my liquor store doesn't carry some of that? Also, I think the "peatyness" kind of turns me off, but that is just from tasting dewars (I think that is the peat I am objecting to). Johnnie Walker Red I like better...also wasn't big on chivas regal either...

Is "Aberlour Glenlivet" what you guys are talking about?  My liquor store has Aberlour 15 year for $60, and the "Aberlour glenlivet" for $30

"Aberlour Glenlivet" is actually "Aberlour Vintage." I don't know why it says "Glenlivet" on the bottle. According to their materials it is a "specially selected cask of one particular vintage." There is no indication of year, but given the price one assumes it is younger than 15 years.

Take a look here to see the range of bottlings offered by Aberlour.

--

Once again I agree with you Slkinsey. I don't think the Highland Park 18 yr. old is worth the extra bucks over the 12 yr old and the Laphroaig 10 yr old is about as "rough and ready" as they come, the essence of peatiness, you can almost smell the salty coastal air of Islay! It is definitely not for everyone but damn is it good. Also, I have never seen "glenlivet" on a bottle of Arberlour and $60 for their 15 yr old is quite pricey. I love their 15 yr old sherry cask scotch which I have seen for about $45.

"Aberlour Glenlivet" is actually "Aberlour Vintage." I don't know why it says "Glenlivet" on the bottle. According to their materials it is a "specially selected cask of one particular vintage." There is no indication of year, but given the price one assumes it is younger than 15 years.

D'oh! I meant to say "there is no indication of the age." There is an indication of the year. In fact, that's the whole gimmick.

Hmmm... must now pick up bottle of Aberlour sherry matured.

--