• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Tasca

JennyUptown

The one mentioned in the washington post is in Chinatown. Isn't there a UK tapas place opening up in Clarendon soon? Is this the same chain?

It's supposed to be in the new development where the cheesecake factory is (yuk) - I noticed this has opened already. :rolleyes:

Edited by theakston (log)

I think it's another La Tasca opening there. Cheesecake...what a nightmare (except if you are actually desperate for cheesecake). My parents would eat there frequently if I'd allow it.

My friend and I thought about checking out Tasca tonight before the Wizards game, but we're going to Matchbox (yum! went there for my work birthday lunch) instead.

My friend and I thought about checking out Tasca tonight before the Wizards game, but we're going to Matchbox (yum!  went there for my work birthday lunch) instead.

Matchbox for miniburgers and beer is a great choice, but pre-game on a Friday it's probably going to be a zoo. I went last night and the miniburgers ruled as usual. The only thing I would change about them is that they should bring out a little ramekin of mustard along with the default ketchup. I always forget to ask for it when I order, and then they have to run and get me one after the burgers arrive.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 5 months later...

Admittedly a while since this post began but after eating there for lunch today I feel obliged to put out a general caution; although late in the shift and the restaurant almost empty the (friendly) service was curiously slow, the tapas bland (with the exception of quite good grilled sardines) and the sole saving grace a cheerful sangria.

The coup de grace was the constant sound - even over the blare of Gypsy King retreads on the stereo - of the bartender preparing juice for tonight's sangria in a strange medieval piledriver torture device. "So what (BLAM, BLAM) would you recommend (BLAM! BLAM!) as the best fish tapas (BLAM! BLAM!) given that you don't have (BLAM!) any baccalao on the menu? (BLAM! BLAM!)."

All through lunch. She's probably still at it.

"Food is an essential part of a balanced diet."

Fran Lebowitz

Been to the Clarendon location several times. Great sangria and desserts, good service, nice decor, packed with young people, mediocre tapas. We like it for what it is...but I cant see why any1 goes to the one in DC...since its near Jaleo (which is great.)

-Jason

Went a few weeks ago. Sangria was ok but overly iced, so it got watery very quickly. The tapas were mediocre at best, almost all were accompanied by a weak aioli that seemed like Hellman's with a bit of mushed garlic mixed in. The lack of originality in plating dishes with a side sauce, plus the so-so quality of the food, has discouraged us from going back for food.

Might be a good place to go for a drink at the bar if you are in the area.

Went a few weeks ago. Sangria was ok but overly iced, so it got watery very quickly. The tapas were mediocre at best, almost all were accompanied by a weak aioli that seemed like Hellman's with a bit of mushed garlic mixed in. The lack of originality in plating dishes with a side sauce, plus the so-so quality of the food, has discouraged us from going back for food.

Might be a good place to go for a drink at the bar if you are in the area.

Did you have dessert? The rice pudding, flan, and Crema Catalan Cake were all good. Yes, i know, crema catalan isnt supposed to be a cake.....or like cheesecake but it was good.

-Jason

• 1 month later...

just "dined" at the Arlington branch tonite...here's my impressions

1) frat boy bartender talking with his buddies about the "shit" he took this morning..this was before I ordered food

2) quite possibly the worst decor i've seen...kinda like a spanish cheesecake factory

3) last but not least...The worst food EVER.."gambas" or shrimp with no salt

"spicy meatballs" room temp with a flaccid tomato sauce..and "chicken croquttetas" with not a lick of flavor...none..nada...this place blows

listen to Black Sabbath..often

I ended up in the neighborhood ( Clarendon ) that I grew up in 20+ years ago...after gettin' Mom from BWI..she went to Iceland...I'm not sure why..but I dropped her off at home and was really starvin'. And I ended up eating really, really shitty tapas...It's my fault I guess but I remember when there was good food in Arlington ( Queen Bee, Cafe Dalat, Whiteys,etc..) the simple fact that Arlington now has a fuckin' Cheesecake Factory is merely one of the signs of the "End of Days"

listen to Black Sabbath..often

Nominee for "worst business plan ever"

Let's open right next to Jaleo in Penn Quarter, where Jaleo and now Zaytinya seem to have cornered a tiny, tiny portion of the tapas/small plates marketin the neighborhood. Our "devoid of any and all flavor" (see if it had any more salt it would have some) style is certain to win converts in the Penn Quarter arena.

It does seem that the chain is consistent, which is nice. I had similar opinions of the (alleged) food that my man Danzig did.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Danzig--for me, as well, it was about 20 years ago when Queen Bee and Cafe Dulat rocked, but even then the more adventurous locals knew the better Vietnamese food was found at little places set off Wilson Blvd a block or two, with menus printed in Vietnamese off little chalkboards. Queen Bee even then had already been "Phyllis Richmanized" and their shrewd owners sensed if they compromised they'd draw more conservative Washingtonians in. It started an accelerated spiral. You're also bringing back memories--there was a time years ago, like in 1985, I was living in Clarendon, when Cafe Dulat was really really special--it seemed to me like their un-named chef at the time was one of only two chefs in the area who knew how to blend and toast Asian and Indian spices (Yannick Cam was the other who had a special touch with those spices then) and at Dulat that Chinese 5 spice chicken dish was somehow done in just the right way--somehow different than any other version. Man that dish was transcendent. How far that whole strip has fallen toward mediocrity since.

However, Arlington and Clarendon still have a handful of small, special restaurants which care about customer service and are worth driving to even if you don't live here anymore--Ray's tops the list of course, but at a lower price point: Singh Thai (you want their fish ball skewers grilled a little extra because you like them grilled longer, they will), Boulevard Wood Grill (which just put this great grilled sirloin tip steak salad on the menu--they won't ask you how you'd like it cooked so you have to chime up that you want it charred on the outside/medium rare inside, sit on the patio and take in the $9.95 bargain of a meal large enough for 2) and Minh's--which just keeps getting better and clearly (to me at least) remains the best Vietnamese in NoVA. They just started doing a Bo Luc Loc-style dish with a flavorful flank steak that is delicious, and comes with more cubes than required for the price. And as Clarendon gets more dense--it's nice to know Minh's has a free private parking lot at your disposal if you can't find a space on the street. I, of course, felt guilty getting steak at these two places, it's like I was cheating on Michael at Ray's.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com