• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

milk cake

sridee

Hi there,

does anyone have a recipe for the milk cake sweets i got addicted to during Diwali? it would be much appreciated!

thanks~

:biggrin:

HI Sridee welcome to the India forum. Where are you posting from? Do tell us a little bit about yourself. Can I tell you milk cake is my weakness as well. there are some wonderful and very easy recipes to prepare this dish using ricotta cheese. I will see what I can dig up. Also our very own BBhasin will have something to add here I am sure.

Welcome again and look forward to reading your posts

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Hi and thanks for the welcome

I'm from Cape Cod Massachusetts and spent two months in Gujarat about a year ago. I hope to return in a year or two. My interest in Indian food and cooking began as a young girl when my family had a college student from New Delhi live with us for a summer. She was quite a cook and took me under her wing in the kitchen. I was hooked on the aromas and exotic tastes, along with the sounds of tiny little fireworks of mustard seeds as they danced against the top of a sautee pan. What wonderful memories.

I'm glad to have found this forum.....stumbled on it by mistake while doing a search for a recipe. Still looking forward to obtaining a recipe for milkcake!

:raz:

there are some wonderful and very easy recipes to prepare this dish using ricotta cheese.

Talking of Ricotta cheese, me and my wife made Milk Cake a couple weeks back only,

- Take 2 cups ricotta cheese, cook in a non-stick pan on low heat for approx 5 minutes.

- Add 1 cup milk (we used 2%) and cook another 10 minutes or so.

- Add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder or a few pods of crushed cardamom seeds.

- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook (bhunno) till milk dries up and it forms a soft lump.

- Put the mix in a greased pan and let it cool.

- Cut into square/diamond pieces

It really came out very good and was the mitthai of Diwali for us.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

STANDARD BURFEE

remember that name all you folks visiting Delhi or those having visitors from Delhi. Its a mithai shop on Ajmal Khan Road in Karol Bagh. Makes the best MILK CAKE you can get.

This shop also carries some of the best pinni and panjeeri you will find anywhere.

And while you getting the stuff try the chole with the pithi wali puris and top it off with some Gajjar Halwa. Fabulous!

Notes from the Dec Delhi visit.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

STANDARD BURFEE

remember that name all you folks visiting Delhi or those having visitors from Delhi. Its a mithai shop on Ajmal Khan Road in Karol Bagh. Makes the best MILK CAKE you can get.

This shop also carries some of the best pinni and panjeeri you will find anywhere.

And while you getting the stuff try the chole with the pithi wali puris and top it off with some Gajjar Halwa. Fabulous!

Notes from the Dec Delhi visit.

Nah ! Nah ! It used to know of a place in Kailask Colony and another in Sundernagar (Search about this discussion between me and Suvor eons ago) which were best in South Delhi - Of!course Karol Baug, and every other part of Dehi have their favourites too - Heck - There used to be favorite Bhelpuri/anipuri guys within JuHuBeach in the JuhuTara area too :biggrin:

anil

Anil,

No arguments. But the next time you are in Delhi spend 15 minutes in this shop. Anyway why are we fighting, we both got great milk cake, right?

spelling

No fighting :smile: I will be in DEL in three weeks time. Definitely try it.

anil

there are some wonderful and very easy recipes to prepare this dish using ricotta cheese.

Talking of Ricotta cheese, me and my wife made Milk Cake a couple weeks back only,

- Take 2 cups ricotta cheese, cook in a non-stick pan on low heat for approx 5 minutes.

- Add 1 cup milk (we used 2%) and cook another 10 minutes or so.

- Add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder or a few pods of crushed cardamom seeds.

- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook (bhunno) till milk dries up and it forms a soft lump.

- Put the mix in a greased pan and let it cool.

- Cut into square/diamond pieces

It really came out very good and was the mitthai of Diwali for us.

Enjoy

Perhaps this recipe might be posted in the eG recipe file? It sounds so simple and good. But in case you don't, I'm putting in in my personal file. Thanks.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts