• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Syrah or Shiraz - what will it be ?

Andre

They say life is full of ups and downs, well, it is also full of fruity and spicy wines.

In order to get to know a spot along that line, we tend to take a magnifying glass and search away into the very soul of those tiny particles not even the creator knew existed. Assuming most wines consumed are for the sake of enjoyment, we end-up shooting ourselves in the leg and maybe annoying our company.

The ability to enjoy an Australian wine during or after a bordeaux tasting is as rational as peace in the Middle-East betwen countries lead by men of war. Some might say might is right, let us pick a Australian fruit bomb and we will prevail, I am afraid this does not work amongst those who trust their own palate.

Following is a maybe confusing, yet illuminating Syrah tasting [ hope all know the difference between Syrah and Petit Sirah, and if so, please illuminate the Californian wine godess with the beautiful hair].

Shiraz De Bortoli, Australia 2002.

A simple but well made Australian Shiraz. Not over “jammy” as one might expect from a 10$ down under wine. A very pleasant drinking companion.

Syrah Moulin de Gassac, Landoc 2000.

A classic expression of a French dry and very spicy Syrah. Following the Australian De Bortoli, one might think a different grape variety is involved. Although very well balanced, this peppery wine might resemble a 1996 Gigondas rather than a Saint Joseph.

Syrah Yarden 2000. Israel

The first Syrah to come out of the Golan Heights winery.

Quite a disappointment at 20$ a bottle. Though still young, the wine is controlled by the dominant oak with very little expression of fruits.

I am not sure if I would age that one.

Syrah Carmel 2002.Israel

Proved superior to the Yarden though still no match to the imported Syrah.

Nose is still closed , slightly veggie with notes of green tannins and some red sour fruits and spices lingering in the back. The nose opens up a bit after a couple of minutes, but will need several months to express balance. New oak is currently overpowering the wine’s nose.

In the mouth the wine is Jammy on the entrance with intense aroma of fresh berries. Good balance.

The finish indicates a young and still closed wine well balanced with oak but perhaps slightly too toasted.

A promising wine that will be a pleasure to drink in 6 – 12 months.

St. Joseph Deschants, Chapoutier 1999

A dry well balanced wine with plenty of spicy and some dry fruit flavors. The dominant tannins integrate beautifully with the spices to become a classic medium bodied Saint Joseph. Some would prefer their Saint Joseph slightly more fruity. In my eyes, the 1999 reflects the classic Saint Joseph image best.

Syrah Alfa Montes 2000.

A very impressive new world Syrah. Excellent use of oak mingled with a fruity almost sweet medium to full bodied wine. Excellent work by the winemaker, chapeau !

Enjoyed very much!

Cote Rotie Chapoutier 1996

For those who enjoy the more spicy Rhone wines, might find this version of the 1996 as one of their favorite. The Grenache based Gigondas of 1996 might be a good example as well, but when it comes to Cote Rotie, the extra dimension of complexity brings you to the true nature of what this terroir is all about. Lot’s of character.

Shiraz Annie’s Lane Contour Vineyards 1995.

A very pleasant surprise from this magnificent winery. Full bodied nose revealing layers of fresh and dry fruits. The wine explodes in the mouth showing what a fruit bomb is all about.

Chewy and well balanced, yet has enough tannins and acidity to keep going 3-5 more years at least.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Talking about lasting wines.

While preparing the empty wine bottles for recycling this week-end, I noticed that the open bottle of Saint -Joseph was still quarter full. After abandoning the idea of hunting down the criminal, I decided to smell the wine before the final goodbye, Slightlt caramalized but still in good shape. I tasted it over the sink ready to spit...swallow....a bit hot on the finish but amazingly drinkable.

The astonishing thing is that the wine managed to maintain its character a week after opening. I don't believe it had a chance if it was a new world wine.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.