• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Cheapo Wine Tasting

Varmint

Kathi Purvis of the Charlotte Observer has a piece in today's edition about ultra-cheap wines. Click here for the article (free registration may be required).

A walk through Total Wines on Park Road turned up possibilities. I ended up with 14 wines, five white and nine red, from $3.49 to $5.67.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If you pick up Bonny Doon's 2002 Big House Red with the screw cap, you can feel like you're drinking cheap wine but it tastes good. Probably around $10. And I have to say the screw cap really works. Without magnets.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Hell, I placed this order the other day:

2 cases 2000 Lamborghini Trescone - $8.99 a bottle

1 case 2000 Chateau Fongrave Blanc $4.17 a bottle

1 case 2000 Guigal Cotes-du-Rhone - $6.99 a bottle

You can call me, "Big Bucks Varmint"

Meanwhile, one of my partners is talking about the cases of Petrus he has in his cellar.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Holy crap! You're getting the Guigal Cotes du Rhone for $6.99? Damn. I pay $12 here in Kansas.

If you're into Sauvignon Blanc, we've found a pretty good one in the Morande Chilean SB. We get it for ~$6.00 a bottle, $64 for a case (including tax).

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I have to admit even here in Italy where there are really no significant taxes on wines and the stores buy directly from the producer is is damn hard to find a decent bottle under Euro 5.00. I mean really how can the producer do it and make a decent living if they are not pumping out every ounce of wine out of every vine they just can't stay in business. Spending a few Euro or Dollars more makes all the difference.

The Trescone is tasty by the way.

Protocolo red has just resurfaced (in N. California) for $5.50/bottle.

Tasty, unpretentious 100% tempranillo -- forget the region, but it's no d.o.c. obviously.

I love Protocolo and can get it here at Table & Vine in western MA for $4.99.

A white cheapie I love is Ockfener Scharzberg Riesling, also @$4.99.

Pepperwood Grove Zinfandel ($5.99) and Cabernet Franc ($6.99) are also standbys for me when I want a weekday red under $10.00.

The Guigal CdR is $8.99 locally, but for the same price I prefer the Perrin Reserve.

Solid case discounts are 10%, mixed case 5%.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. Varmint had a soccer game tonight, so I broke open a bottle of that 4 buck Chateau de Fongrave to go with this potato, hot pepper, shallot and parsley omelet (sorry for the sucky photo quality):

i944.jpg

Damn, this is perhaps the single best value wine I've ever had in my life. You cannot possibly get a better 4 dollar wine. And I'm drinking the whole damn bottle myself. On a school night, at that!!! Time to order a couple more cases to fill up the wine fridge.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Even I learned something. I did not for one minute believe that I could buy a bottle of wine (750ml) for under $10 Cdn but I logged on to our LCBO site and it returned 1055 matches for wine under $10!

Of course the site won't let me search by any reasonable method to try to find the wines mentioned in this thread! :angry:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2002 CASA SILVA – SAUVIGNON GRIS $9.99

NEVER HEARD OF SAUVIGNON GRIS BEFORE? ME NEITHER UNTIL THIS LITTLE GEM SHOWED UP ON OUR DOORSTEP.A GENETIC SIBLING OF SAUVIGNON BLANC AND PINOT GRIS PACKING A PUNCH OF FRUIT NOT FOUND IN IT’S PARENTS. DAZZLING, TROPICAL FRUIT BURSTS ON THE TONGUE WITH A PENETRATING FORCE THEN GIVES WAY TO A LONG CITRUSY FINISH. GREAT ACIDITY GIVES IT THE MUSCLE TO STAND UP TO THE SPICIEST FARE. AT TEN BUCKS THIS IS A STEAL!

Cardinal wines, Crystal Lake, Il. From their flyer

perfect with sauteed scallops in ginger coconut cream with thai chile and basil oil

http://www.cheftedcizma.com/food.php

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

If you pick up Bonny Doon's 2002 Big House Red with the screw cap, you can feel like you're drinking cheap wine but it tastes good. Probably around $10. And I have to say the screw cap really works. Without magnets.

Between this and the Bum Wine topic, it really would seem like we are getting obsessed with screw tops. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have been drinking some germanic wines with screw tops. A winemaker from the Rheingau was telling me that for him, it was simply a matter of economics. Too many corked wines.

With our everyday "swill at will" drinking wines ( like Kabinett or QBA riesling, for example ) I don't mind the idea of a screw top. The cork however, remains an important part of the ritual, if nothing else, that goes with enjoying fine wines.

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

I like good wine.

Unfortunately, I happen to like drinking wine on a regular basis even more, and cannot afford the good stuff on a regular basis.

You can get drinkable wine at a low price. Occasionally you even get something interesting. I normally try and sniff out the reduced price bargains at the supermarket - You get some ropy stuff along with some genuine bargains, but, hey, at least it adds a touch of excitement.

Tesco's in the UK are trying to push screwcap wines with their 'UNWIND' range. Can't say I have tried any of them, but I am a big fan of screwcaps in general - I am not likely to be laying down wine anytime soon!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Protocolo red has just resurfaced (in N. California) for $5.50/bottle.

Tasty, unpretentious 100% tempranillo -- forget the region, but it's no d.o.c. obviously.

I love Protocolo and can get it here at Table & Vine in western MA for $4.99.

Pepperwood Grove Zinfandel ($5.99) and Cabernet Franc ($6.99)

Pepperwood Grove also makes a decent Syrah for $6-7.

A couple of other Spanish cheapies I like a lot are the Borsao and the Viña Alarba (I've seen both as low as $4). I'll look for the Protocolo.

Interestingly enough, though I'm usually willing to spend more for a great bottle of red than white, I find it harder to find a really palatable bottle of under-$8 white.

Even I learned something.  I did not for one minute believe that I could buy a bottle of wine (750ml) for under $10 Cdn but I logged on to our LCBO site and it returned 1055 matches for wine under $10!

Of course the site won't let me search by any reasonable method to try to find the wines mentioned in this thread! :angry:

Sure you can. Go to the LCBO Product Search, and set the search criteria at the bottom of the page. Select price "under $10," product type "wine," prodcut category "still table wine," product size, "501-750mL."

This will return 779 results.

If you're searching for red or white specifically, change the product sub-category. Red gives you 378 choices. From there, you can select the country of origin to break it down even further.

As for searching for the wines specifically mentioned in this thread, I can pretty much guarantee that nothing listed here is available in Ontario.

Edited by futronic (log)

Whenever great value wines are discussed, I have to talk about my local favorite, Snoqualmie Syrah. I know its probably not available nationwide, but I've seen it retail for as little as $7/bottle and I think it rivals the value of similarly priced Cotes-du-Rhones.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946