• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Somerville area Saturday night

foodboy

I want to celebrate a birthday this Saturday night with a party of seven. Birthday boy on the Adkins diet, so no pasta, carbs, etc. Also, no Japanese. Otherwise, looking for excellent food above all else. Should be casual dress, but pricey is OK. Needs to be within half-hour of Somerville. Any advice? Thanks...

P.S. Origin is already booked for the evening.

Ixora is Japanese/fusion--Whitehouse BYO

Filippo's--Italian BYO Somerville

Girasole--Italian--Bound Brook

The Bernards Inn-upscale --Bernardsville

Le Petit Chateau--upscale--Bernardsville

Ryland Inn--upscale Whitehouse

Let us know where you end up celebrating.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

If Origin is already booked up, getting a reservation at Girasole may be impossible.

Depending on whether there's a performance at Raritan Valley College that evening, you might also want to consider Cafe Cucina in (I believe) Branchburg.

Verve would be a good bet for someone on Atkins - several selections of steaks and other meats.

Good luck!

We were at Cafe Zbra two years ago. Food was good but the place can get very noisy and crowded. It's BYO. I do remember that they only had 3 desserts on the menu and there were four of us! Place is cute and decorated with zebra stuffed animals.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks for the replies, but I already booked at Grill 73 in Bernardsville. I hope I don't regret it. I will consider the other places for future meals.

As for Cafe Cucina, I've never eaten there, but I've been drinking there every Christmas Eve for the past 6 or 7 years.

Thanks for the replies, but I already booked at Grill 73 in Bernardsville. I hope I don't regret it. I will consider the other places for future meals.

As for Cafe Cucina, I've never eaten there, but I've been drinking there every Christmas Eve for the past 6 or 7 years.

Be sure to give us a report.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE