• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zuma Bans Smoking

Press Release from Jori White:

"Award winning London Japanese restaurant Zuma will ban smoking from the

restaurant on 5th November 2003 as a direct response to customers’ wishes. As the rest of the nation lights up in one way or another on Bonfire Night – diners at Zuma will be asked to extinguish their cigarettes.

Throughout the summer and autumn 2003 the restaurant has been canvassing its diners and the overall response was to impose a smoking ban in the restaurant.

With Japanese cuisine long recognised as one of the healthiest diets in the

world, consisting of some of the most delicate flavours, the smoking ban

will surely enhance the restaurant’s customers’ enjoyment of the acclaimed

menu.

Chef and co-owner Rainer Becker comments, “Fine nuances of taste and aroma are far more noticeable when the air, and your taste buds, are clear of cigarette smoke. We have taken into consideration our customers’ wishes and believe that a smoke-free Zuma will offer the same, if not a greater, dining experience”.

The restaurant at Zuma will be smoke-free from 6th November 2003."

hurrah. it amazes me that otherwise great restaurants still allow people to smoke. i'm becoming a complete pedant over this.

Hurrah!

uk pedant club anyone? :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Check out www.thebigsmokedebate.com to help influence the Mayor one way or the other on an overall smoking ban in restaurants and other public places in London.

A restaurant's smoking policy can be a make or break for me - a fabulous meal, top class service and winning ambience can all be extinguished if 4 people at the next door table light up and the restaurant isn't properly air-conditioned or the tables are too close together. Ban it all I say. (However, I recognise that others have differing opinions, so if you still want to light up in restaurants, then go to the website and say so)

Edited by dallardice (log)

Tarka/Scott

Sorry to be pedantic, but whether or not restaurants allow smoking is a simple choice; so whether you are for or against it, it's not something you can be pedantic about. Passionate, yes. Zealous, yes. Even, to stretch a term, fascistic. But not really pedantic. I would also question whether one can be 'completely pedantic' any more than something could be 'very unique', but I'll leave it to others to judge whether that is further pedantry on my part, or just quibbling.

Pip Pip !

Tarka/Scott

Sorry to be pedantic, but whether or not restaurants allow smoking is a simple choice; so whether you are for or against it, it's not something you can be pedantic about. Passionate, yes. Zealous, yes. Even, to stretch a term, fascistic. But not really pedantic. I would also question whether one can be 'completely pedantic' any more than something could be 'very unique', but I'll leave it to others to judge whether that is further pedantry on my part, or just quibbling.

Pip Pip !

Hurrah :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

hurrah. it amazes me that otherwise great restaurants still allow people to smoke.

I'll second that.

Either you are smoking or eating. I could never understand why anyone would want to ruin the taste of the food they are supposedly paying to enjoy at a restaurant by sticking a ciggie in their mouth between courses.

I also really resent having smoke blown over me and my meal during dinner, as recently happened in a North Africian restaurant where I was dining. I literally watched our beautiful mezze platter disappear under the smokey fog that was coming from the couple at the table next to us.

Disgusting!