• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Triangle Pre-Thanksgiving Get Together?

Varmint

A certain eGulleteer from the DC area sent me a PM asking about November 22,

Are you around, up for dinner or some such thing? Late night dinner if you're available that night? I don't mean to pressure you last minute, more or less, just though it would be cool if you were available.

I've since spoken with said DC eGulleteer, and I'm thinking, let's do a fairly late dinner. My choices would be Magnolia Grill in Durham or Enoteca Vin in Raleigh. We're looking at 8:30 to 9:00.

So, could we arrange for a Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill get together?????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'd love to get together and meet some fellow NC's who dig more than Rigazzi's. Though as an employee of Mag Grill, i'd love to do it someplace else.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Gee, need to get away from Ben and Karen for a night??? Where do you like to go when you have some time off, phlawless? There's some decent places in Chapel Hill as well. It needn't be anything formal at all, but I can say it most definitely won't be Ragazzi's. Now Macaroni Grill, on the other hand. . . . :raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Honestly, as you might have already guessed from my previous posts, I'm not real hot on dining in the triangle at all. But i do love Lantern, and i'm excited about the new effort by former Lilly's owner Benji whatshisface next to Elaine's. I think it's expected to open in a couple of weeks. In Raleigh I usually end up doing the cheap and easy: Dalat, especially their subs, Farmer's Market shrimp burgers, Cooper's...I try to avoid Glenwood South because parking has become such a pain. Though Vin's wine list has emptied my wallet on more than a few occasions.

As I'm a pastry chef, I have my nights free, so my schedule is more flexible than others.

I haven't been to Cosmopolitan yet, is it pretty much the same as Bloomsbury?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I haven't been to Cosmopolitan yet, is it pretty much the same as Bloomsbury?

That's what I've heard. I'm not a big fan of Bloomsbury, simply because I don't think John's figured out how to put together a menu yet. He can cook, and some of his dishes are somewhat inspirational, but there's no consistency to his menu. I can't figure out what the hell he's trying to accomplish when he has 6 or 7 different cuisines represented in his entrees. Every time I've eaten at Bloomsbury I just feel confused and disappointed. We can all crash at Soupkitchen's restaurant!!!

Dalat subs. Mmmmmmmmm.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I find myself choosing an atmosphere that i enjoy and sacrificing culinary gratification. Bloomsbury is such a place; I love the bar, though hate the dining room, and appreciate a Raleigh wine list not limited to California. I haven't eated enough of the food to have much an opinion, maybe that's the problem, it's boring as hell.

Who's soupkitchen?

Soupkitchen is a fellow member of this site and a chef at a top notch area restaurant. I'll let him disclose the establishment where he works.

The commitments are hardly fast and furious. But let's take a vote: we could hit a local establishment, or we could plow the money into the highest quality ingredients and wine and have a feast at Chez Varmint. Y'all can decide.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

As the aforementioned "certain eGulleteer from the DC area", naturally, I'm in!

I'm up for anything that night, be it at the mysterious "soupkitchen's" establishment, Enoteca Vin, Magnolia Grill, a good BBQ joint, or the 4-star Chez Varmint.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Dudes and Dudets

Soupkitchen is just a linecook. Although when I work somewhere I put the same effort into my job as if I owned it, I'm just a linecook. I'm sure William would love for ya'll to join him one evening. I would love to be there if my schedule permits, but if I take this new job I have a feeling I won't be able to do anything for three months except spend time with my wife and work. So if I make a commitment there is a chance that I might be able to follow through. I'm not giving up the chance to hang out, I'm just being realistic.

Cheers

I thought Chez Varmit was 5 stars?

There is no bathroom attendant there-- I took a star off for that. Also, the valet parker dinged up my car pretty good.

-- A.B.

There is no bathroom attendant there-- I took a star off for that. Also, the valet parker dinged up my car pretty good.

You wanted "valet" parking???? Man, I thought you wanted "ballet" parking -- that's why I let my 8 year old ballerina daughter park your Prism.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You wanted "valet" parking???? Man, I thought you wanted "ballet" parking -- that's why I let my 8 year old ballerina daughter park your Prism.

That explains the tutu.

A Prism? I should be so lucky.

-- A.B.

since I'm new to this site, I will concede to the majority. But I would be more in favor of high quality goods over any of the places mentioned.

since I'm new to this site, I will concede to the majority. But I would be more in favor of high quality goods over any of the places mentioned.

OK, let's leave it open for a few more days, but I'd be very, very happy to host a dinner party. My kitchen sucks, but it can put out some good food. If I were to do this, shall we have a theme? If everyone wants to chip in, we can get some killer wines, too. It may not have the complexity of restaurant food, but I'll assure you that I'll search high and low for the bestest of the best ingredients.

But again, let's thoroughly consider all the options before committing.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My kitchen sucks, but it can put out some good food.

I can vouch for this; I'm jealous of y'all who are going to get a chance to cook together there.

Dean: You know, it may be the healing nature of the passage of time, but your kitchen is improving in memory. Damn, I had fun around all that red tile!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

theme's are good...where I work each of us has a day that we are responsible for staff meal, and often the most creative and rewarding come from a theme that we are assigned. Sometimes it's as simple as picnic or childhood birthday party, but the most fun come from something more subtle like indie rock.