• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

Now, if it could only crank out Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Thats just turkey and ham and swiss and challah dipped in an eggwash, right? Sounds doable.

Yeah, it's the eggwash that's got me wonderin'.

Well apparently you can do French Toast that way in the bag.

I tell you what, I dont have challah but I do have white bread. I'll try a montecristo with that tonight for a snack and see how it comes out.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Instead of s'mores, try grilled chocolate sandwiches (they were in the Times mag awhile back). I made some using stone age sandwich grilling technology (eg, skillet, stove, spatula) and they were great, so I'm waiting with bated breath for the bags to arrive.

Buttered white bread (brioche even better) and good dark chocolate.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

i883.jpg

Midnight Snack: Rare Roast Beef and Melted Cheddar. The classic.

Not one of the more photogenic ones, but definitely very tasty.

Hollywood: I'm working on the Monte Cristo for lunch tomorrow.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Great pictures... like the bathrobe. 

So how does it clean up?  Did you have to turn it inside out?

And how is PB, banana and bacon anyways?

PB, banana and bacon are heavenly. I think this was discussed on another thread. The magic ingredient, of course, is mayonnaise.

Mark

Per Hollywood's request, Monte Cristo a la Toast-N-Serve.

i884.jpg

A sandwich of two slices of buttered bread, turkey breast, ham and swiss is prepared, along with a wash made from one egg and a little bit of milk, whisked up.

i885.jpg

The Sandwich is inserted into the eggwash, and flipped to absorb it on both sides.

i886.jpg

Sandwich is inserted into Toast-N-Serve and toasted on the dark toast setting once and then a second time on medium.

i887.jpg

i888.jpg

Finished product. Note that the process of inserting the soggy sandwich into the Toast N Serve may require that you wipe off the bag before inserting it into the toaster, it requires a steady hand and good manual dexterity to do this without making a little bit of a mess. When releasing the sandwich from the bag, you may need to use a a butter knife along the sides of the bread a little to unstick the sandwich from the inside.

Any more requests?

I'm going to try steakums in there shortly.

Not sure how well a burger would work, would probably need several toasting sessions at full darkness.

Add a reuben to the list of requests, please.

Have you eaten anything in the last couple of days that you haven't made in your Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag?

We went out for chinese food once and had meatballs and sphagetti.

Hah. Finally one that's the right medium brown/not black color. He's finally getting the timing right. :biggrin:

The key is using an ample amount of butter. But I happen to like dark toast, you get more caramelization.

Hah.  Finally one that's the right medium brown/not black color.  He's finally getting the timing right.  :biggrin:

The key is using an ample amount of butter. But I happen to like dark toast, you get more caramelization.

more caramelization? on toast? ya sure you don't mean more burned? :raz:

Hah.  Finally one that's the right medium brown/not black color.  He's finally getting the timing right.  :biggrin:

more caramelization? on toast? ya sure you don't mean more burned? :raz:

Nobody likes a smartass. :raz:

I'm going to try steakums in there shortly.

Not sure how well a burger would work, would probably need several toasting sessions at full darkness.

Suzanne F mentioned at Burger Club last night how hard it was to get a properly done black and blue hamburger. Perhaps she need not look past her own toaster. :blink:

Maybe there's a business opportunity here. Toasters at every table. It's the new fondue.

Everyone laughed at Kramer's pizza restaurant, but I was never convinced that it's not somehow a solid business model.

:laugh:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

You know, now that I can see the pictures, the bread doesn't look overdone to me. Nice and toasty. :wub:

Thank You.

Maybe there's a business opportunity here.  Toasters at every table.  It's the new fondue. 

We actually went to a restaurant in Paris this fall where there were toasters at every table. The house specialty was foie gras and they provided broiche for you to toast tableside to your own liking.

For our purposes, there could be a buffet / bar of sorts set up with different types of breads and fillings for the sandwiches. We could call it the Sandwich Garden.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster