• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

Okay, so we tried to do smores in the Toast-N-Serve tonight. You know, the thing about pioneering new cooking techniques is that sometimes, things don't turn out so good.

i879.jpg

First, we assembled the Mise en Place.

i875.jpg

Then we prepped the S'mores according to the traditional method.

i876.jpg

Then we inserted them into the bags and toasted away.

i877.jpg

This unfortunately, was the first result.

i878.jpg

This was the second attempt, at a lower toast browning setting.

Basically we discovered that the Toast-N-Serve bags get so hot, that they will burn graham crackers. So we either have to find an alternative medium to convey the marshmallows and hershey bars, or we have to give up on the idea of making Toast-N-Serve S'mores altogether.

On the side of the Toast-N-Serve though, this was an excellent test to see how well they cleaned up under fairly adverse conditions. On the first attempt, we really got burned chocolate and marshmallow all over the inside of the thing. After letting it cool down for a few minutes and putting it under hot water and soap in the sink, the gunk came all out and we were able to clean it off quite fast with a sponge, leaving no residue behind.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Was that the absolutely lowest setting on the toaster the second time? Maybe you could just breathe on the bags and get satisfactory s'mores?

Squeat

I think Rachel may have set that one on "medium", I'm not sure.

The key is to have the correct balance of toasting the grahams while at the same time melting (and toasting) the marshmallows and the chocolate.

I'm thinking this might work better with waffles or pound cake. Something that can take more serious punishment than a graham cracker.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I think Squeat may have something there. After all, s'mores are supposed to start with a toasted mashmallow. then the heat from that melts the Hershey Bar and sticks the whole thing together. The graham cracker is not toasted.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

After several variations, the best result, IMO, came from Marshmallow Fluff rather than marshmallows themselves. Spread the fluff on both crackers, stick on a little chocolate, stick together and toasterbag just until the smoke starts. This avoided the burnt crackers, and the chocolate was mostly melted but still cool. Best to toast the marshmallows over the stove top or fireplace and make them traditionally.

After yesterday's pitiful S'mores performance I am happy to report today's lunch was an unbridled success.

i880.jpg

Meatball Sandwich Parmigiana on Garlic Italian Country Bread

i881.jpg

Meatball Sandwich Parmigiana on Garlic White Toast

jason, i can't help but notice that some of the bread i these pics seems a bit too burnt.  is that by choice?

Yeah, I have it turned all the way up. I like my toast that way.

How can that sandwich possibly fit in a toaster?

Youre looking at it sliced in half and the peices stacked on top of the other.

i882.jpg

Rachel's is probably more your speed. She sliced the meatballs thinner and set the toasting setting lower.

Now, if it could only crank out Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Thats just turkey and ham and swiss and challah dipped in an eggwash, right? Sounds doable.