• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

I have used it for reheating left over french toast and there's a recipe for french toast on their website. I'm not sure about a hamburger, unless you like it really rare, I don't think it cooks long enough for a burger (but of course now you've piqued Jason's interest and I'm sure he'll have to try it). :wink: I think a hot dog would be fine, especially since it is already cooked. I'd recommend splitting it lengthwise for maximum surface area crisping, and not heating it with bun, not that a bun would fit.

Can you make french toast in the bags?  How about a hamburger?  Hotdogs?

You can make french toast, yes. My understanding is you just dip the bread in the eggwash and dump it in the bag, and toast away.

Hot Dogs I suppose you could do, but I think you probably would need to slice them in half lengthwise so it crisped up good. I'll try those later.

Hamburgers would be difficult I think, too much grease and I think you'd need to run the bags thru several toasting sessions to completely cook a patty through. Thin-sliced steak such as london broil might work well, however, because you want to eat that medium rare.

Optimally I think these are really best for sandwiches and panini-type things. I hear you can also do eggs in them as well -- I'm going to try that probably tomorrow.

The key to this is having a refrigerator mise-en-place of prepared ingredients such as par-cooked steak, cold cuts, cheese and garlic bread spread all ready to go. Ths product screams for leftovers like last night's broiled chicken, meatloaf slices, turkey, or ham.

So far we have only tried it with regular white bread toast but I am thinking French, sliced Italian peasant loaf, ciabatta or cuban type bread, flattened a bit into the bags would work really well for paninis.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Optimally I think these are really best for sandwiches and panini-type things. I hear you can also do eggs in them as well -- I'm going to try that probably tomorrow.

Does that mean they shouldn't be used for reheating soups?

Does that mean they shouldn't be used for reheating soups?

Yeah I think that would be pushing it.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Steak-Ums.

Bought some of those. We're going to be marinading them in korean bulgoki sauce and cooking them in the bags.

Dude, you dont want to know...  :laugh:

Actually, it sounds pretty tasty:

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/ky/x/kyx89011.htm

The traditional one is open faced,but theres no reason why you couldn't do it as a sandwich.

Dude, you dont want to know...  :laugh:

Actually, it sounds pretty tasty:

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/ky/x/kyx89011.htm

The traditional one is open faced,but theres no reason why you couldn't do it as a sandwich.

It is very good, Jason. You can make them either open faced or closed. Don't listen to those bad guys in the background. :raz:

woodburner

Jason, you should approach them for one of those buttons at the bottom of the screen that allows us to purchase it so you folks get a little kick back. I just wonder what percentage of their customers have been EG'ers in the last day or so?

These look cooler than hell, even according to Paul, the ultimate skeptic. He's way into manufacturing and processes, so I know I can count on him to run right out and get a $7 toaster.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I just visited Toast-n-Serve's website for the first time, and have a couple of questions:

1. Why didn't the guy in the video burn his hands off? He grabs the thing right out of the toaster with his bare hands, and the caption says "90 seconds later" (ie, after he pushed the toaster button)!

2. Jason and Rachel, have you noticed your feet beginning to shrink?

Cheers,

Squeat

PS I had no idea you pay for them through PayPal! I just bought a pair. I'll make room somewhere for a $7 toaster...

Edited: homonyms our confusing!

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)