• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

I'm wondering if the original bags were related to MRE packaging--"Meals Ready to Eat," the successor to C-rations for the US military. I've only seen pictures of MRE's or read descriptions but what this does sounds similar--black plastic looking outside, teflon inside, apply heat, inside cooks, outside is touchable in 90 seconds.....

I am resisting buying some. But I have to praise Rachel and Jason for their fearless dedication to Science and Technology and Food in testing, and testing, and testing and sharing their results. You guys are the Gurus of Toast-n-Serve! :cool:

Update on the fold & snap vs the older bags. I prefer the older bags. Sure, they're a little harder to clean, but then you can't see the dirt so who cares? :wink: But the old bags are so much easier to use. You'd think it would be the other way around -- who wants to get buttery hands trying to shove the sandwich in the bag? -- but you get buttery hands trying to assemble and snap the new bags anyway. Too bad they only offer the new snappy bags online. I think it would be best if they offered a choice.

I emailed the toast and serve site 3x already, requesting the older bags, and no response. It's been quite a while that they are only offerring the wraps..there is a post in here somewher that I mentioned the site is no longer oferring the bags. . The bags look easier to store, easier all round.

edited to add that I found relevant post and its below.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Are magic wraps the same as magic bags? The site seems to only offer the wraps?

yes, here it is..so as far back at Dec they only had the wraps..I missed the magic bag boat!

This from page D2 of today's Wall Street Journal:

"It's also hard to know what to think of another new trend from Europe, which will be featured by two companies, Toastabags and Toast-It Toaster Bags. Simply put, you can insert sandwiches or pizza -- or anything else that you might want to put in a toaster oven or grill -- into top-opening bags made of heat-resistant material and then stick them into a regular toaster to get cooked. Both brands of toaster bags are reusable and cost from around $6 to $10 a set. Both manufacturers claim that their aim is to provide a muss-free method of making things like grilled cheese without having to buy another appliance. Odd as this is, it's a laudable goal."

I have only managed to use my bags a few times so far since we just got a toaster a few weeks ago. My biggest problem has been getting an even toast. It seems as if the bread at the top end of the bag invariably never gets toasted as much as the center and bottom.

Thoughts?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I have only managed to use my bags a few times so far since we just got a toaster a few weeks ago. My biggest problem has been getting an even toast. It seems as if the bread at the top end of the bag invariably never gets toasted as much as the center and bottom.

Thoughts?

Ben

I would say that it is the toaster and not the bags. I don't have that problem with my el cheapo Target toaster. Do you get uneven toasting of bread without the bags?

This is what I am using. to toast. 

I will have to do a closer analysis.

Ben

Obviously, you have spent too much money on your toasting device. :wink:

FWIW, I have the same problem... I've just been cutting off 1/4 of my bread, and having shorter sandwiches.

Registry Gift. :smile:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

• 4 months later...

BTW Toast N Serve has a new site:

http://toast-n-serve.com/

They also have another new product, The Magic Liner, which is used in your oven. It sounds like a Silpat, but for use with savory items.

EDIT: I realize Silpats can be used for savory items, but apparently these can be used in a microwave and as a thinner type pan liner which is nonstick.

NEWS RELEASE!!!

Toast-n-serve announce their first MAGIC LINER

This is a Reusable Cooking Liner. The liner is non stick, and USDA and FDA Approved the Liner will enable you to perform all sorts of cooking without the need for fats and oils. To clean, wipe with a damp cloth.

A much healthier way to cook!!!

- Oven Trays

No need to grease the tray before use.

- Baking or Roasting

Place in Pan or Oven and cook directly on the liner if desired.

- Frying Cut Liner to fit pan.

Fry as normal.

- Microwave

Place in microwave to keep base clean

* 2 Liners in a pack 23"X16" and 11"X9"

* Bake Sheet- Bake cookies, frozen pizzas,apertizers, etc. right on the sheet

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

BTW Toast N Serve has a new site:

http://toast-n-serve.com/

They also have another new product, The Magic Liner, which is used in your oven. It sounds like a Silpat, but for use with savory items.

NEWS RELEASE!!!

Toast-n-serve announce their first MAGIC LINER. . . Reusable Cooking Liner. . . .

* 2 Liners in a pack 23"X16" and 11"X9"

* Bake Sheet- Bake cookies, frozen pizzas,apertizers, etc. right on the sheet

Thank you for keeping us updated on this crucial sandwich development. My toaster also thanks you. :biggrin: I wonder how long before you can order Magic Liner from their site...don't have cable just now....

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to report that the ToastNServe magic LINER is truly an amazing application of teflon nonstick technology.

When you order the liners, you get two -- one sized for a sheet pan for your oven, or can be cut down for use as a microwave turntable liner, the other is the exact dimensions to fit in the pan that comes with your Toast-r-oven.

Tonight I had the opportunity to test it under rather adverse circumstances -- two bagel halves, piled on with shredded cheddar cheese, were broiled in the Toaster Oven tonight. Plenty of that cheese fell off and dripped onto the liner. And you know what happens when shredded cheddar cheese burns onto anything.

Well in this case, all I did was wait until the liner cooled down after I pulled it out of the oven, and I simply wiped my hands across it to remove the burned, chewy and yummy cheddar goo. Slid right off. Then I ran the liner under the faucet with some dishwashing soap to clean it off. Wipe dry with paper towel, put back onto Toaster Oven baking tray, ready for action.

Oh yeah -- bottom of the bagels -- nice and crispy brown due to the heat reflective nature of the black teflon surface. We also made some toaster drop biscuits the other night using the Toaster Oven and the liner, and the bottoms on those got nice and crisped up as well. And they slid right off.

Verdict: Buy a set. Now.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We also made some toaster drop biscuits the other night using the Toaster Oven and the liner, and the bottoms on those got nice and crisped up as well. And they slid right off.

Interesting.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

For all you burned fingered buddies, this is what you need.

i11973.jpg

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

• 3 months later...

I'm in love with this thread. i love grilled cheese especially in the middle of the night, yet my kitchen is tiny and dangerous.. also....now i can make 2 griled cheese at the same time. perfect for company :wink:

I'm ordering the bags today. as soon as they arrive my diet will consist only of toasted foods...

hmm..wonder if I smooshed an egg in that bag with some cheese If it would work out...we will soon see.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I don't know about smooshing a raw egg but even though I don't have these neat items (but intend to order some), I do fried egg with cheese sandwiches in my Dualit. It gets a bit messy at times when stuff drips out of the sandwich holder, but it isn't all that difficult to clean.

I like the idea of being able to put a sandwich together in the morning, keep it in the wrap in a cooler and then toast it at noon when I am at work.

However I have to get a different toaster for the kitchen at work as we have one of the drop through toasters where the finished toast drops out the bottom. I don't think these wraps would bend enough to go around the curve at the bottom. I had one of my "vintage" GE automatic toaster ovens at the office but I couldn't keep some idiot from putting stuff in it without the tray and I walked in the kitchen one day and there was a little fire in the toaster from burning butter on the bottom. Fortunately it didn't harm the toaster but I brought it home and bought one that they couldn't fool with.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I ordered a pair of these last summer after reading this thread. I've used them 2 or 3 times. One of them scorched the first time I used it. And this later design with the "snap" fasteners doesn't hold in anything leaky. I put in a grilled cheese the first time and the cheese ran out the bottom.

Very disappointing. :hmmm:

Edited to add that it took a couple of emails to even get them. I paid via PayPal and it was over a month before I got them. What-his-name (Warner?) said in his last email that he'd send a free gift to compensate for the delay, but (surprise!) it never arrived. :rolleyes:

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)

Deb

Liberty, MO

I'm sorry to hear this. I will hold off on ordering for now, I want a reliable source, particularly at this time of the year when I am ordering a lot of things.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett