• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

I made my first Monte Cristo sandwich because of that picture.  :biggrin: I used a lot more egg though, and fried it in a pan.

(I didn't know what a Monte Cristo was prior to this thread.)

Did you dip the pieces in strawberry jam or apple jelly before eating them?

I wondered about that...it's not truly a monte cristo without it. Also, sometimes the finished sandwich is lightly dusted with powdered sugar, giving it a sweet-savory taste, a yin-yang of taste all in one.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

toastbags were invented in the UK in 1989 by Guy Unwin and have sold in excess of 10,000,000 bags in the UK alone.

toastbags are covered by a US patent application and a granted UK patent.

toastabags are sold in stores, mail order, television and online throughout the world.

toastbags were invented in the UK in 1989 by Guy Unwin and have sold in excess of 10,000,000 bags in the UK alone.

toastbags are covered by a US patent application and a granted UK patent.

toastabags are sold in stores, mail order, television and online throughout the world.

Are we sure he isn't Mr WineClip? :biggrin:

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

No, but anything very thin or higher in fat would have a tendancy to burn, I would think.

You're not ready to move on to flambes I take it. I'm thinking one could soak the bread in Kirsch before making a grilled guyere and emmenthaler sandwich and have a fondue panini by the time you reached the flash point. I'd try it, but I don't think my homeowner's policy would cover damages. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Jason and/or Rachel, it's been over 24 hours without a fresh photo...

And, how would this work for roasted cauliflower?

We did pasta tonight for dinner. Check the dinner thread.

I had mousakka for lunch and rachel made another meatball sandwich. Tomorrow we will be doing sandwiches again.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I made my first Monte Cristo sandwich because of that picture.  :biggrin: I used a lot more egg though, and fried it in a pan.

(I didn't know what a Monte Cristo was prior to this thread.)

Did you dip the pieces in strawberry jam or apple jelly before eating them?

I wondered about that...it's not truly a monte cristo without it. Also, sometimes the finished sandwich is lightly dusted with powdered sugar, giving it a sweet-savory taste, a yin-yang of taste all in one.

You're supposed to dip the Monte Cristo in JAM?!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Made me some breakfast, toast, 2 scrambled eggs, grits

Grabbed my keys, grabbed my purse, grabbed my jacket

Off to work, beaming all the way down 3rd

hollywood is dreamy.

I love that song

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

You're supposed to dip the Monte Cristo in JAM?!!!!!!!!! :blink:

It's an option. You can dip a corner in before taking a bite. I said apple jelly but actually I meant mint. But more often it's the strawberry jam. Don't let it throw you.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Today I re-attempted the Sandwich Cubano and it was a huge success.

i933.jpg

This time we used soft hero rolls and I coated the outside of each sandwich with garlic olive oil. I cut the sandwich in half, put each half in a bag, smashed it down, and toasted each on just under half darkness twice.

i934.jpg

i935.jpg

i937.jpg

Rachel had a Steak and Cheddar sandwich

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Made me some breakfast, toast, 2 scrambled eggs, grits

Grabbed my keys, grabbed my purse, grabbed my jacket

Off to work, beaming all the way down 3rd

Yes, Hollywood is intensely dreamy! :wub::wub::wub:

The jam and toasted cheese may be an Anglo thing. A pot of raspberry jam was always on the table when my Lancashire Nana made us grilled cheese. I still love that flavour combo.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The jam and toasted cheese may be an Anglo thing.  A pot of raspberry jam was always on the table when my Lancashire Nana made us grilled cheese.  I still love that flavour combo.

Interesting. Mom is from New England, and when I was a kid, she fixed our grilled cheese with a sprinkling of worcestershire sauce. I've never met anyone else that does that. Now I dip mine in Melinda's Jalapeno sauce. Never anything sweet. :blink:

My bags are on the way. Now off to Target to find a toaster. :biggrin:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme